Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #29
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Gotta say, if we had hitched up and then deployed the stabilizers afterward, we would definitely have tried to drive off the next morning with the stabilizers down. So, overall you did great.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
When parked on an incline, always leave the emergency brake cable hooked to your tow vehicle until you've finished undocking.
If you forget to chock the wheels and the trailer starts to roll down the hill and you're running away from it at full speed you'll be glad you left that little cable hooked up.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
If you haven't seen it yet (or even if you have, see it again as it's a classic!), get "The Long Long Trailer" and watch the part where Nickie is trying to jack the trailer up to level during the rain storm on the old logging road. You'll consider yourself Einstein after seeing what he went through

For what it's worth, we've all been through about everything they did in that movie to some degree....live and learn.

See ya on the road!
One thing that I haven't experienced from that movie, is to pull into an RV park and have them park my trailer and landscape my site. Those were the days!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome to the 'idiots RV forum'. . .we have ALL done something like that ! I drove from ANC to Wasilla with the TV antenna up. . . and I thought all those folks waving & pointing were just damned friendly. . . (only bent it slightly) so both of us got away with one. . . as they say 'rather be lucky than good, somedays. . . be safe out there, Craig
Old 03-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #33
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
When parked on an incline, always leave the emergency brake cable hooked to your tow vehicle until you've finished undocking.
If you forget to chock the wheels and the trailer starts to roll down the hill and you're running away from it at full speed you'll be glad you left that little cable hooked up.

Yes. Just in case, last year we started leaving safety chains and emergency brake connected to our TV until after the trailer was un-hitched and it was clear she wasn't going anywhere without us. When I was a kid, I actually saw some unfortunate tent camper's car roll away from a campsite and into the woods as they were setting up. They were understandably quite upset.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I've had simple mistakes/oversights when I'm doing something out of context/sequence, which is what it sounds like you did.

If you were doing your usual hitch-up and go sequence, I doubt you'd ever encounter the issue.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #35
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
I'm an idiot

One more thought: Checklists!

Maybe a special one for when you want to hitch up the night before that has the remaining tasks separated out for the following morning vs. the usual one list for when you're actually leaving that morning.

I'll show you mine (the ones I have, anyway): http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Special-Topics

Old 03-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #36
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Been there before.... That was (after the fact) a certain WTF moment!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I can't remember the title of the thread but there's one in here somewhere about real deusies! Oh to have a memory and a good search capability 😀
Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
Don't feel bad, we all do stupid crap. I was in upstate NY recently and I couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat because the damn on/off switch was so tight..
Old 03-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The thread I was thinking about is something like "what's the worst thing that ever happened to you while camping" or something like that. I remembered writing about this experience but it was linked from that thread to one called "let's go up THAT road". Ahhh, sweet memories! 😳😂

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ml#post1579386
Old 03-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I am not sure about using the stabilizers. since we started serious camping (before AS) we had a '80's Class C. Did not have stabilizers. Got used to the minor movement. At this state in the game I would be afraid of leaving them down, so ever once and awhile I grease them up and move down and up till the next maintenance. Too each their own.

I will interject one thought here. One observation regarding hooking up your trailer to your tow vehicle. It seems that you are just in the middle of this important activity and someone comes along wanting to be nice and CHAT! Well let's table that Chat for later, shall we, you do know what I mean. One thing at a time!! Safe travels to all.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #41
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post

I will interject one thought here. One observation regarding hooking up your trailer to your tow vehicle. It seems that you are just in the middle of this important activity and someone comes along wanting to be nice and CHAT! Well let's table that Chat for later, shall we, you do know what I mean. One thing at a time!! Safe travels to all.

This is what will cause me to lose tract of where I am in the set up and pack up process. I hate to put off people, but there ought to be a written camp rule about let people finish setting/breaking camp before engaging in conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
We are never too old to learn. Glad it turned out that no damage was done, other than that little spat with your honey. I have done some really dumb things in my life and felt like a total fool afterward.