Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Gunnison , Colorado
Clap! We love our 2015 2500 Duramax (diesel) Chevy Silverado! Just completed 4900 mi trip across MI, MN, WI, ND, SD, WY and Colorado. Just to get out of south central Colorado where we live we had to go over 3 high passes, no problem up or down.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #44
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
OK, at dealer now, moment of thruth. Conclusions to this point:

A) pushin the trailer uphill is not feasibly because the max tongue weight of the forward receiver is 500 pounds. AS needs 800 plus all the weight of pushing up-hill.... No way.

B) F2/350 turning radious is, curve to curve, 53 feet

C) Same RAM is 47 1/2, much shorter, great for maneuvering when not a lot of space, like in my case. (Thanks to the gent that brought this up!!!!)

D) we are going now with a full loaded F350 and attempt the maneuver of backing up the trailer in my driveway, courtesy of the guy at Summit Ford (BJK Senda).

If successful, I keep that truck

Otherwise, back to the drawing board: an F150 or a Ram 350.

Any feedback before I pull the trigger will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Pablo

Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
OK, at dealer now, moment of thruth. Conclusions to this point:

A) pushin the trailer uphill is not feasibly because the max tongue weight of the forward receiver is 500 pounds. AS needs 800 plus all the weight of pushing up-hill.... No way.

B) F2/350 turning radious is, curve to curve, 53 feet

C) Same RAM is 47 1/2, much shorter, great for maneuvering when not a lot of space, like in my case. (Thanks to the gent that brought this up!!!!)

D) we are going now with a full loaded F350 and attempt the maneuver of backing up the trailer in my driveway, courtesy of the guy at Summit Ford (BJK Senda).

If successful, I keep that truck

Otherwise, back to the drawing board: an F150 or a Ram 350.

Any feedback before I pull the trigger will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Pablo

I'm partial to RAM. I farm some with my in laws and they all have Fords. Maintenance costs have gone way up because of the engine being under the cab. In a few years when warranty is out you will be paying out of pocket for a simple repair that still required the cab to be lifted off.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #46
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I wrote off the idea of a front hitch 'pushing' the trailer, especially up a driveway: in addition to tongue weight, there is extra force to push 'up' the 7K pounds trailer... makes sense?

Anyway, we tried today backing up the F350 (2017, Platinum edition with all the bells and whistles) up my driveway and although it took about 6 times of forward movement ' to get it in position and keep backing up all the way to the top. Worked well. So, I am getting it now. They just found out there is a small leak on the radiator, need to order a new one, so I am towing back to Windish in Denver in 2 days with my old trusty LR4, I pray for no ice on I70 E. Done. Thanks all for very insightful advice.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
N/A , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Nice setup...Attachment 273773

Ha! Thanks! Always good to have company - sweet looking set up you got there!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
N/A , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
Adambomb, sweet looking combo! I love the look of that.

Thanks brotha! Living the dream!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
I wrote off the idea of a front hitch 'pushing' the trailer, especially up a driveway: in addition to tongue weight, there is extra force to push 'up' the 7K pounds trailer... makes sense?

Anyway, we tried today backing up the F350 (2017, Platinum edition with all the bells and whistles) up my driveway and although it took about 6 times of forward movement ' to get it in position and keep backing up all the way to the top. Worked well. So, I am getting it now. They just found out there is a small leak on the radiator, need to order a new one, so I am towing back to Windish in Denver in 2 days with my old trusty LR4, I pray for no ice on I70 E. Done. Thanks all for very insightful advice.
It takes awhile to adjust to the longer wheel base but when you do it a few times you turn six tries into two. I went through the same learning curve, but even though I sorely miss the short turning radius of the Range Rover I am very happy with the F350. Congratulations on your decision!
Steve
Old 10-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Goodyear , and Denver, Colorado
I pull a 2000 34' A/S with a 2015 3/4 T GMC Duramax crew cab 4X4 and it is amazing in the Colorado Mts. and on the Interstate using a Pro Pride hitch. Best truck of the 6 I have owned. 13.2 MPG pulling & 18 MPG not towing. Current mileage is just under 6,000 miles.
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Hitched up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to go.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	273833
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #52
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Yikes, so many ASers like their trucks and here I am just thinking that there is only one totally new standout that no one is talking about and I just don't understand why. I am towing a 34' S/O about 8,000 miles per year. It truly is the mother of heavy Airstreams plus I'm full timing. Ready for this? Last month I camped at Virginia Highland Haven and this gorgeous truck is sticking out like a sore thumb. The thing is totally dicey looking like nothing else. Although the stats are boarder line for my 34' S/O, I'm still thinking in that direction. It was the one truck not mentioned on this string so far. Nissan Titan HD Crew Cab Platinum Reserve with a newly designed Cummings V8 Diesel. I would be replacing a Black 2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L Diesel with about 130,000 miles on it that's in perfect condition.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I loved my 2013 F150 Ecoboost, max tow, max payload, etc. it towed my 2014 FC25FB very well but it didn't have enough payload capacity to not be overloaded in several ways, no matter what. So it was a 250/2500 diesel for me.

I agree with others who opine that the three US-made options are essentially equivalent. I now have a 2016 GMC 2500 Duramax standard box double cab (not full crew cab) and I love it. We just returned from 11,500 miles to Alaska and back. The Duramax-Alison combination is amazing. Once on cruse at 65 or the speed limit, whichever is less, the brakes are rarely needed regardless of the grade. Transmission temperature maxed at 235 once on a five mile long very steep climb at 75 ambient but it usually ran 150 or less.

I have the GMC because:
The equivalent Ford could only be had with a 26 gal. fuel tank and there were no after-market options that would fit under the bed.
The equivalent Ram is 7" longer and wouldn't comfortably fit in my garage.
I like the GMC dealer better than the closest Chevy dealer.

Good luck, but I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Dublin , Ohio
2017 f250
Old 10-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Fulltiming , via Jersey Shore and Philadelphia, PA
2013 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Z85 5.3 6l80e 3.08->3.73 diff swap pulling a 6500gvwr 29' Ambassador full-time. We've done PA, NY, VT and NH mountains so far no problem. Looking forward to pulling through the Smokeys and the Ozarks soon. The gears probably make a good deal of difference, a properly set up WDH definitely does, and the e load range tires made towing night and day. No complaints whatsoever. Yes, more is more but I am happy across the board.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
I have the same 2016, it's great. Only time I notice it's a big truck ( long box crew cab) is parking in a mall / grocery store parking lot. ( not towing) other then that it's been a great ride. You'll love it!

Quote: