Old 04-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Spectacular photography Sugarfoot. They could be oil paintings they are so beautiful. Thanks for including the wonderful story of the old photographer. I can just imagine how good you were feeling.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #72
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Camping at Monument Valley?

What are the camping options at Monument Valley? Boondocking and simple sites prefered but electric sites are OK also.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rod ---When at Mon. Val you're on the Navajo res. Once off that there is lots of public lands you can camp on free. At Mon Vall. there is a comercial camp with ful hookups. "Goulding Lodge" complete with restraunt etc. Reservations will be a MUST this time of the year. If you have 2 months you will be surprised how quickly that passes once here as there is just so much to see and enjoy. We've been living here since 1974 and vacationed here years before. I feel like we've just scratched the surface as to seeing what's here. enjoy-------pieman

PS we'll be workamping at the south rim all summer---come see us
Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #74
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I will wave from the north rim

I will be on the north rim early in the trip. I can wave across the big ditch. Are there decent spots around Farmington for camping? If I recall the road into Chaco is no road to tow down (is that right?).

and the
My Blog

Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #75
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, I'd kind of like to hear about Farmington camping, too! We're headed out of here next week, headed for Zion NP. We'll take the northern route across 64 to Farmington, then through Kayenta, Page, Jacob's Lake, Fredonia, Hurricane, and into Springdale and the park. We figure we can make Farmington by the first evening, maybe Jacob's like by the next night. What we haven't figured out yet is where to stay enroute.

Lynn
Old 04-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Rodney, you asked about Sinbad, west of Green River. Here's a real quick and shallow summary--

Drop the Airstream on the north side of exit 129. You can park in the junipers just west of the exit road, or go north about 400 yards in a more flat area. I've camped here several times, in both locations, but the one of the west is a little hilly and I've only been in there in the Caravel.

Things to do:

The first map is from the state highway map. At this scale I'll point out Goblin Valley down route 24. There is a little known area of petroglyphs to the west of the Goblins, ask at the gate. The wedge overlook straight north of exit 129 is a view into the San Rafael river gorge, much like a mini grand canyon. You need a good map to track the back roads here, and a gps is a good idea. It's simple to drive the road as far as the river, then follow the river bottom to see multiple petroglyphs. The photo is north from the campsite to the Wickiup hill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PS0023 state.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	35990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3891 Wickiup-s.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	35998

At the 250K scale here, you can see the overlook down at the next exit to the west, which is spectacular.

Name:	PS0025 250K.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	35991

At 100K, you can see how to follow the dirt roads to an area of red rocks and petroglyphs a few miles west of camp. The path along the roads is about 9 miles, but the whole area is worth driving through and exploring. Dutchman Arch is at the western edge of the map.

Name:	PS0027 100K.jpg
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	35992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3830 sinbad petroglyphs-s.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	35994

This 100K map shows the area west of the petroglyphs. You can see the blue GPS track showing precisely what the previous map sketches out. The magenta shows an exit (not an official exit) that takes you into a Utah DOT maintenance yard where you can park and explore more interesting rocks and perhaps startle the same Big Horn Sheep herd I ran into. This turnoff is about half way to the next exit and you'll go right past it it you don't look for the dirt road and gate.

Name:	PS0029 DOT.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	35993

There are multiple layers of red rocks and lava in this area.

Name:	IMG_3859 ledge edge-s.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	35995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3872 rock tooth and water-s.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	35997

Name:	IMG_3869 japanese arch-s.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	35996

It's a great area. Ought to be a park. Go here San Rafael Swell - Pictographs & Petroglyphs - Guide & Pictures for excellent additional info and photos.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
where to stay enroute

Lynn,
I would recommend staying a night at Lees Ferry right on the Colorado River just off Hwy Alt 89. Great views, no hookups.

Be sure to hang out and watch the river rafters getting launched before departing in the morning.

Stop at the Colorado bridge parking lot and walk out on the bridge to see Condors roosting on the shear cliff walls.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/JerryH/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Yes, I'd kind of like to hear about Farmington camping, too! We're headed out of here next week, headed for Zion NP. We'll take the northern route across 64 to Farmington, then through Kayenta, Page, Jacob's Lake, Fredonia, Hurricane, and into Springdale and the park. We figure we can make Farmington by the first evening, maybe Jacob's like by the next night. What we haven't figured out yet is where to stay enroute.

Lynn
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #78
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Lynn,
I would recommend staying a night at Lees Ferry right on the Colorado River just off Hwy Alt 89. Great views, no hookups.
What campground? Is it Forest Service? BLM? Private? Cost? Details please

and the
My Blog

Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
What campground?

Visited June 2005: Lees Ferry campground (928 355-2319) $12/night, no hookups, no reservations, has dump, 35’ maximum length.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glca/lferry.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
What campground? Is it Forest Service? BLM? Private? Cost? Details please
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #80
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yeah, but for us, Lee's Ferry is just a bit too far for us to make it in a day, and a bit too short for us to stop over on the way up to Zion.

You know, the really big problem is that nowadays you practically can't visit Zion NP and stay at the campground without a reservation. That sticks us to a schedule that we're not exactly used to dealing with.

Lynn
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Farmington answer---Mom & Pops Rv in Farmington--not fancy but a place with reasonable $$ hookups.. Walmart on east main as well as Sams next door----- Bloomfield 13 miles east of Farmington on rt 550 has a KOA. Not much, mostly long term folks and a bit run down, adiquite only.

Lees Ferry campground is a basic no hookup campground located at a really neat historic little corner of the world. It's run by the NPS and is self registration --usually a camp host present----there are restrooms,dump station and water filling available, no showers---lots of neat day hiking around the area---pieman
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
One more campground on your way---Navajo National Monument is west of Kayenta ----free camping --a nine mile paved road ---limited number of sites and few large sites.----pieman
Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #83
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
One more campground on your way---Navajo National Monument is west of Kayenta ----free camping --a nine mile paved road ---limited number of sites and few large sites.----pieman
I'd second this one, too. We stayed there for several days a couple of years ago to explore the ruins. The campground is very pleasant, too! Alas, it is more than a day's drive from Angel Fire (at least at the pace that Maria and I make time).

Lynn
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
If you make it into Arizona, you might like the White Mountains (near Greer, Springer, Eagerville). They're in the eastern-central portion of the state, just west of the New Mexico border. They're so unlike our Sonoran desert that it's hard to believe they're really in Arizona: altitudes of 8,000 - 10,000 feet, where prairies are interspersed among pine, spruce, and aspen forests. The Little Colorado River is small but charming, and it offers great trout fishing. There are also many smaller lakes and one larger one (aka, "Big Lake"...clever, huh?). Lots of appealing campsites in the Apache-Sitgreaves national forest...privacy and beautiful views. But be prepared to tow your Airstream along reasonably well maintained dirt and gravel forest service roads. The wildlife is astounding: large elk herds, pronghorn antelope, mule deer, and...wolves. Actually, I'm not sure about the wolves any more. The area was a cornerstone for the "Mexican Gray Wolf Reintroduction" program, and when I was last there I had the thrill of seeing two wolves stalking game at dusk. But since then the govt's wildlife biologists apparently botched things up in an effort to "reduce predation" on cattle. They accidentally broke one wolf's leg while trapping it, and they accidentally shot one or two others. So I think I read something saying they'd removed the remaining wolves while the "experts" tried to regroup. But even without wolves, this area is worth seeing. It inspired the writings of the turn-of-the-century conservationist, Aldo Leopold, so if you'd like to know more about the area, you might check out his book: A Sand Country Almanac. It contains several essays about the area. And when you're done in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest (and yes, there is an Apache reservation in the area, where Geronimo once made his home), you'll be just a one-day-haul from either the petrified forest, the painted desert, Monument Valley, or the Grand Canyon.