Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Two National Park Guidebooks of Interest ...

Here is a recommendation to all Airsteamers interested in the Southwest and West Coast areas for two presently bargain priced guidebooks. The first is "An Architectural Guidebook to the National Parks: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas" by Harvey H. Kaiser, published in 2003 by Gibbs Smith Publishers, Salt Lake City, ISBN 1-58685-068-7. It is a $16.95 trade paperback now being widely sold at the remainder book price of $1.00, plus postage, a true bargain which can be found here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...iser&y=12&x=71

The second is Harvey Kaiser's companion book "An Architectural Guidebook to the National Parks: California, Oregon, Washington" also available for $1.00 plus postage, another excellent bargain for West Coast explorers and visitors.

Besides providing some unusual ideas, these books should get people excited about visiting the great places described in each book. If you can find one book store that sells both books, you can usually save a little on postage. If you're lucky enough to live close to a listed bookseller, visit in person and eliminate all postage costs. If you're as remote as these parks, consider buying two or more of each book at a time, one for the hearthside arm chair at home and another for the trailer. Enjoy, and get inspired!

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rod---12 days and 57 posts of everyones favorite--if you're not confused hang around I'm sure there is more.---pieman

Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
So I'll confuse you even more. I know others have already mentioned the desert and Zion in Utah. The Mojave and Zion National Park took my breath away. I didn't own my Airstream at the time so I'm not sure what land is available for boondocking or camping. But if I had 2 months out west with my Airstream, I would certainly revisit these spots.

I'm no photographer, but the sunsets in the Mojave even looked great through my amatuer lens.
Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN2216.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	29795 Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN2242.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	29796 Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN2279.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	29797
I prefer Zion over the Grand Canyon, more texture, more color, more interest.
Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN2135 rev3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	29798 Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN2127.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	29799 Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDscn2157 rev2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	29800
I took the last shot from a bridge at sunset. There were about 25 people with all levels of experience aiming for the same shot. Next to me was an elderly black gentleman, gold wire-frame glasses, mustache, newsboy hat and vest, very elegantly dressed. He looked like he had just stepped out of a kinder gentler time. He had the largest wooden camera, tripod, and set of plates I had seen anyone carry into the great out-of-doors. I asked if he was a professional. He was silent for a moment as he slowly continued his setup. "No . . . . I don't like to call myself a 'professional.'" I commented on his equipment and said that he must take some fine photos with all of that stuff. "It has nothing to do with the equipment my dear . . . good photos come from what's here (pointing to his head), but most importantly what's here." He placed his hand over his heart and smiled.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Sugarfoot: Beautiful pictures. Great story! Thanks.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks Ron and Debbie. Meeting this distinguished gentleman was one of those serendipitous moments I will always treasure.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #62
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Great pictures Sugarfoot.It remains one of my favorite parts of the country.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #63
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Absolutely amazing pictures! I've only been able to take such nice shots by accident. (Actually, we're trying to learn more. Used your shots as examples for discussion of what elements make a nice pic, part of a little self-guided web-course we're playing with.)

Lynn
Old 12-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #64
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up

Hi Sugarfoot,

Breathtaking images, well done indeed!

I too have been to both Zion and the GC, and I made it down to Phantom Ranch for a few days, still, you can get so much closer to Zion. Hiking Zion and Bryce's slot canyons is like traveling back in time!

Of all the places I've been The Grand Canyon knocked me over, I'd like to revisit both this year!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #65
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Of all the places I've been The Grand Canyon knocked me over, I'd like to revisit both this year!

Michael
Rodney had a thread about a photo workshop rally on the north rim in June. I have not heard anything about it recently, but that would be a great place to camp for a few days.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Absolutely amazing pictures! I've only been able to take such nice shots by accident. (Actually, we're trying to learn more. Used your shots as examples for discussion of what elements make a nice pic, part of a little self-guided web-course we're playing with.)

Lynn
Lynn, my shots WERE by accident. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time in the right light, yada, yada. You should see the 238 other photos, only a few gems out of all. Thank goodness for digital.

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone. Now Rodney, who started this thread, is a real photo artist. Those who haven't checked out his web page should (professor_chaos's Photo Galleries at pbase.com ), and I've seem some fabulous photo posts of his. If he had been standing in my spot those few days I was out west, he would have worked magic. I'm sure his a photo workshop rally would be awesome!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

I spent some time in montana between Missoula and down into the northern part of yellowstone. But I really can't say what the photo ops are as I WAS suffering with an absessed tooth.
But I have spent the past 3 summers in the four corners region and can tell you almost anywhere you can go a great photo can result. Tent Rock north of ABQ, anywhere along the road from santa fe and taos. Across the Brazos between Taos and TA, Any of the area around pagosa springs west back into NM along 64 through bloomfield and Gobenador around shiprock down to Chaco. A wonderfully spritual place. Up to Bisti. The Animas River north of Durango is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen. Southern Utah is beyond belief. Many places to boondock I cannot be specific as we usually stay in developed campgrounds.
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #68
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Lynn, my shots WERE by accident. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time in the right light,........ Now Rodney, who started this thread, is a real photo artist. ......... If he had been standing in my spot those few days I was out west, he would have worked magic. I'm sure his a photo workshop rally would be awesome!
I LOVE your shots Sugarfoot! Thanks for the kind words about my work though . I think the main thing where photography is concerned is to do just what you did, you got there in the right light and used your camera. I am hopeful that there will be enough interest to get a photo rally off the ground this year, it would be fun to make it an annual thing that moves around to different sites...........

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks Rodney. I'll be watching for your photo rally info. Keep us posted on your planned route out west. Of course, plans are written in sand, but goals are to be written in concrete! You better promise to share your experiences and photos. Someone mentioned a blog. Now you've got a bunch of us watching in envy.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #70
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
The clock is ticking

Here is the update. I will be leaving the middle TN area around May 30th and will drift west to the North Rim of the Canyon by June 8th. I figure to generally drift north free form taking it as it comes. Feel free to give me ideas of places to see.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote