Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
Owl Cafe San Antonio, NM

Niles said they have the best green chile cheeseburgers......I live in NM, and while they are phenominal, the ones at the Outpost in Carrizozo, NM (about 55 miles east on US 380) are better (and bigger). And, the Buckhorn in San Antonio (across the street and west a couple hundred yards) was rated in the top ten in the country by some magazine. I've never sampled their cuisine, so I can't offer an opinion.
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
As for roads, pull out the Rand McNally atlas and connect all the roads with dots alongside them. You can't go wrong doing that.

To love the West is to love rocks, rocks, and more rocks. All shapes, sizes, colors. Even different colors in different lighting conditions. Amazing beauty everywhere you turn.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
South West Colorado

The area around the San Juan mountains of southern Colorado would be one of my must see areas. Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Mesa Verde are just a few of the places to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skyway.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	29348  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Gen D.,

A northern boy should stay north unless you can take the summer heat.

Black hills, Colorado, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton, Calgary, Banff, Lake louise, Lake Maline, Icefields parkway to Jasper, Jasper to Clearwater thru the gorge, back to us, Olympia, Mt. St. Helens, Columbia River Gorge Stephenson, Mt. Hood, Interstate east , Snake river.

You will run out of time to go further south in Oregon. (central Oregon green areas, coast highway, Craytor Lake, if you had time)

Don't forget passport for 2007. A million illegals per year on the southern border but, you are a security risk with that trailer. Some profile.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #25
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakBluMule
.. Monument Valley on the Navajo Reservation..
Boondock and views and photography, that's a good place for both. Yes you can camp there. Bring lots of water as it's windy and dry year long.

Utah state route 128 is near by to the north of Monument Valley, right at Moab. Lots of U.S. Forest Service camp sites banking the Colorado River, self served. Also breath-taking views, as numerous car commercials were shot there. Plus the NPs at Moab.

A not-so-close third: Oak Creek Canyon, along Oak Creek from Flagstaff to Sedona, AZ.

Ricky
roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I'd like to second the suggestion to visit the wine country around Sonoma. It's a lifestyle experience. You can stay at the Lake Sonoma Corps of Engineers Campground for about $7 with Golden Age Pass. Good food, good wine, and good scenery!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The area around the San Juan mountains of southern Colorado would be one of my must see areas. Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Mesa Verde are just a few of the places to see.
I agree with this, as well as northern NM, just below Durango, Silverton - Same type of terrain until you get down to the dryer parts.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
There is so much to see, so little time!

Favorites here:

*Yosemite (but summer is really crowded...come in late fall or early spring!)
*Glacier National Park
*Yellowstone is fab!
*Rocky Mountain National Park
*Capitol Reef National Park (it is really different!)
*Silver Falls State Park in Oregon (a little gem!)
*Olympic National Forest in Washington
*Any of the state parks in Oregon (they are most excellent!)

So many places! I would invest in one of those BLM camping books that give you directions on how to find them! Also check out the National Forest Service Campsites. They have a lot listed online. When we traveled back to Nebraska a year or so ago, we were amazed at how few NFS campsites there were past Colorado! But, don't try to see too much too soon... pick a couple of wonderful places and stay awhile! Come back again, and again! You will drive a lot.... Oh yeah, if you are driving here in the summer ~ go north where it is cool, it gets pretty hot in the south!

Happy travels to you...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Rodney -

My wife and I have spent the past 6 summers and falls in the Northwest US and Canada, moving throughout Idaho, Wyoming and Montana to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia (and out onto Vancouver Island once for several weeks). Now, we've finally settled into one place, right on the Yellowstone River about 35 miles north of Yellowstone Park.

The most spectacular scenery in that part of the country and roadways to take (but not necessarily with a trailer in tow), for my money, are in the farthest up places in the Rocky Mountains - such as Jasper, Banff and Glacier National Parks, and the Beartooth Highway leading from Red Lodge, MT to Cooke City (Chas. Kuralt once called this the most spectacular highway in America) and the Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone Park - or over the Tetons into Jackson Hole, WY.

As far as history, there is tons of it, depending on what you're interested in, and how far off the beaten path you want to go.

In the immediate area where my wife and I are now staying on the Yellowstone River, just to show some examples of the history and things to see and do, there are many old gold mines and related items, buffalo jumps and indian artifacts, the old Yellowstone Trail (which few tourists take, but anyone can) that was the original entrance way leading into Yellowstone Park, petrified forests, and the first dude ranch in the state of Montana now owned and being restored by the state.

Also in our area of MT, I like to go to and see some of the places that Lewis and Clark explored. One of our favorites is the Gates of the Mountain on the Missouri River just north of Helena, MT, and the scenic boat ride that takes you through that part of the river, and it's rugged and remote canyon.

If I were boondocking in MT, I'd look to stay at some of the state Fish and Game Department's river accesss sites. Within 20 miles north and south of where we're at on the Yellowstone River, for example, there are several of these places, each of which have a small number of campsites right on the river. Information on these sites is available online, but it may be a bit difficult navigate the website to find specific sites unless you are willing to spend time researching them, and/or you know where you're going to be. Here's a link to one of the access sites on the Yellowstone River just several miles from where we stay. (Pictures of the place are also shown, which is nice.) http://fwp.mt.gov/lands/site_281780.aspx Or, if I wanted a bit more in the way of developed facilities, I'd look to one of the many BLM or National Forest Campgounds.

With 2 months, you should be able to see and do plenty. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

John
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
What about Idaho

You should not miss the area around Sun Valley, Id. Lots of places to Boon-
dock just a mile or two from Sun Valley Lodge with wonderful views and
fantastic fishing and beautiful Stanley, Id. just over the "hill". You can ride
bikes into town from your camp site.
Also the Area around Steamboat Springs, Co. is gorgeous. Wow you should
spend a couple years to see all the west has to offer. You will want to stay
forever so be warned. Hope you do get to make the trip and Happy Trails
John & Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Canyons and Valley loop is what I would do. Lets start in the North.
Yellowstone National Park then South along the Tetons into Utah. The Great Salt Lake into Moab, heading South into the Canyon lands Brice, Zion and such. Further South to The Grand Canyon. West out of there to Death Valley. After a week there head North West up to Hi way 395 North, once you get to Mono Lake make a left and Head west into Yosemite Park. Head out of the west entrance of the park then head North into South Lake Tahoe. From there head North West to the Feather river area. Then again North the Lassen Park. Then Head West to the Trinity Alps Lots to do around there. Keep heading West to the Pacific ocean once there you'll find lots of Giant Redwood trees and the ocean. Then after a couple of weeks poking around there head North on HiWay 101 along the coast until you get to the Olympic National Forest lots to do there also. Go to Port Angeles and catch the BlackBall Ferry to Victoria Canada see the sites there make sure you go to Buchart Gardens Most Beautiful in late June and July. Up to Nanimo catch a BC Ferry to Vancouver spend some time there also. Then East to Braniff for spectacular beauty. Then South to your starting point of Yellow stone Park.
If you can make a trip like this "You're Living Large".

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #32
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Arizona Painted Desert area and North Texas around Amarillo Just a few of the sites we only got to glance at were Palo Duro Canyon State Park, the Local History museum in Canyon, TX. The Mogollon Rim area near Payson, AZ was drop dead gorgeous.

Aaron
I second the Mogollon Rim. We go up there all the time and it's beautiful. Just make sure its not on fire.

Forest Road 300 is General Crook's trail and goes along the edge of the rim for about 50 miles (dirt and washboardy, so its slow) with fantastic views and lots of places to pull over and camp.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
where in the west

I may be prejudiced but I love northern New Mexico.I'd go to Chama and ride the Toltec Railroad into Colorado then I'd spend some time at Heron Dam State park and watch the Osprey and the numerous deer wondering around. I'd go to Espanola about 70 mi south and eat at the El Paragua Restauraunt and have a genuine NNM meal. There is nothing like a Northern New Mexican meal It is not Texmex or mexican. They cook with genuine Chimayo Chile. I said chile not chili. Next I would head towards Los Alamos. If you haven't visited the Bradbury Museum it would be interesting to see what was developed during the Manhatten Project. Los Alamos is the "Atomic City". Next I would visit the Valles Caldera the most recent addition to the arsenal of public lands it is 89,000 acres of pristine lands that were once an ancient volcano.Futher south you'd come to the Gilman Tunnels whith were made to transport logs thru the guadalupe river. Also to the east there is the Pecos Wilderness area .It is one of the first established in the US. If you pre fer the arts there is Santa Fe ,Toas ,Ohke Owinge whitch was actually the first Capital in what is the US. It was called San Gabriel by San Fransisco De Onate in the 1600"s. I hope you decide to visit here because we are not just a desert like everyone thinks. I am proud to be a native New Mexican http://www.nps.gov/band, http://www.nmtourism.org/place/loc/f...lace/3068.html, http://sangres.com/places/nm/chama.htm, http://www.losalamoshistory.org/manhattan.htm, http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/, http://www.elparagua.com/, http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/recreation/wilderness.htm, http://www.losriosriverrunners.com/riogrande.html, http://www.jemezmountaintrail.org/wh...lman%20tunnels
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We probably differ from most. We would take our Lucy and spend the whole time in Southern California, along the coast. We would spend a month in the San Diego area and then a month in the Los Angeles area.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I've looked at this thread several times, and every time I just get locked up. Two months of freedom in the west. And then my brain quits.

The problem is that there's just way too much to see/do out here. We're in NM and do love it, but there's also a whole mountain of other places out here. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Lynn
Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
You know, I've looked at this thread several times, and every time I just get locked up. Two months of freedom in the west. And then my brain quits.

The problem is that there's just way too much to see/do out here. We're in NM and do love it, but there's also a whole mountain of other places out here. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Lynn
Thats exactly the space I am in. I have seen a lot of the places people are mentioning but then again, no where near all. Its kind of hard to get ones head around the prospect. I suspect I will confine myself to the rockies for the most part. Planning is so much fun. This morning I was looking at scanners so I can scan negatives from my large format camera while on the road.... Anyway, thanks for all the responses, I never dreamed there would be so many KEEP THEM COMMING!, espically those little hidden jems that are under the radar!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Welll, if it's just ideas you want, I can post my two lists of things to see and do in NM (north and south, roughly). They're sort of long, though (and generally too big for PM software), so I won't "hijack" the thread with them unless you'd like to see them!

Lynn
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Welll, if it's just ideas you want, I can post my two lists of things to see and do in NM (north and south, roughly). They're sort of long, though (and generally too big for PM software), so I won't "hijack" the thread with them unless you'd like to see them!

Lynn
Is this the list that you had up as a thread? Thanks for reminding me about that, it was an excellent list. For what it is worth, I lived in NM for a while in the last century . Im sure I will spend some of the trip there ( I really want to reshoot Chimao) but I will have to be careful not to get stuck there the whole time . I'm debating if I want to try the highway 64 run up the cimarron canyon since Im towing with the F 150.... be nice to poke around the Marino valley for a few days though...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Several years ago while on a trip to the north west wife and i decided to spend our next vacation in one NW state. I won't mention the state so as not to distract from my thought. I our case we took that state and spent the entire time within it's boundries looking in all it's nooks and cranies. This could be done with any of the states in the west. Two months seems like a long time but it would take a lifetime to see any one of these thoroughly. ---just an idea--pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I've camped all over the West for most of my 60-plus years; I think each of the sites listed above is a definite gem! At least once in their lives, however, every person should see the Grand Canyon. Lots of tourists, of course, but for good reason. In my opinion, the North Rim is the better bet: same spectacular views but fewer people (also easier to get to if you're coming down from the North).
FYI: Mt Rainier (Washington) is also normally a "must see", but last month the heavy rains wiped out a significant number of camping areas. I was told by a Park Service employee that there's Federal money to repair the roads, but little or nothing for the campgrounds.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote