Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
If you had one day San Francisco

My family and I have started our Out West 2009 adventure. After we hit southern Utah pretty hard, a week in the LA area on business, then up the Pacific Coast, I would like to spend a day in San Francisco. I was last there as a 15 year old with my parents in 1975.

My questions are where to camp and what not to miss if all we might have is one day in the city?

The replies to my southern Utah post were most helpful. My expectations for San Francisco replies are great

Thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Go to the top of Twin Peaks for the view!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We lived in the Bay Area for 20 years and I'd be hard pressed to identify any campground for a trailer within 25 miles of the city. Heck, the closest might be in Sonoma County over 40 miles away. Don't even think about taking a 31-footer into SF. Yeah, you might survive the journey over the bridges and along the crowded streets, but why bother?

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands and Point Reyes National Seashore and Mount Tamalpais are, IMHO, the best attractions for outdoor lovers. All are accessible from the north thru Napa and Marin counties if you approach via I-80, but not with a trailer in tow. You'll have to find a place to park the trailer and explore with your TV.

Napa and Sonoma wine regions are special places too.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Ponz
I would stay at the KOA in Petaluma. (kind of expensive but very nice and clean) They do have a shuttle service to San Francisco but I would drive south to Larkspur (about a 30 minute drive from the KOA) park for free and hop onto the Ferry to downtown San Francisco. During the ride (about 40 minutes) you'll go right past San Quentin, Angel Island, Alcatraz with great views of Mount Tam, the Golden Gate and Bay bridges and the beautiful San Francisco skyline. Once you get off the Ferry it's a short walk to the Cable car line. Take it to Fisherman's Wharf (the Hyde street line is the most fun...goes around fast corners and down very steep hills). From Fisherman's wharf you work your way back towards the Ferry building passing pier 39, Northbeach/Chinatown the Financial District and everything in between. (make sure you have good walking shoes) If walking isn't your cup of tea you can get a day pass on a double decker tour bus (new to the City) which hits all the popular tourist spots. Hop back onto the Ferry to pick up your car.......have fun! PM me if you have specific questions.
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Just One Day?

Unfortunately there are no rv parks in San Francisco. Gemma works across the street from where the old one once was. It's now in the heart of dot com businesses. You may find a park in Marin County. We think there is one in San Rafael. You could park at Larkspur Landing and catch the ferry into San Francisco and begin at the Ferry Building.

If we just had one day in San Francisco we'd go start out at the Ferry Building and pick up a quick cup of coffee at Peets and a pastry at Miette. If it's Tuesday or Saturday check out the farmers market. It's definitely not your ordinary farmers market. Think of it as a farmers market for people who really like chardonnay and artisinal cheese. Chinatown is next (you can walk there), not just Grant Street, which is the street that most visitors visit, but Stockton Street which is the bustling hub of neighborhood. You can enjoy lunch at a dim sum restaurant. After lunch you can walk over two blocks to North Beach and pick up a slice of Santa Honore cake or a canolli. Walk another block and enjoy it at Washington Square, a large plaza overlooking the lovely cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul. Next catch the number 30 Stockton bus northbound to Fisherman's Wharf. Stroll over to Jefferson Street and see some of the old Monterey Clipper boats, part of the old Italian fishing fleet. (Joe Di Maggio's father was a fisherman and had a boat docked at the wharf.) Our 1937 Monterey Clipper, the Baby Sal, is berthed there. We've attached an image of her below. You can't miss her. Hungry yet? You can pick up a crab cocktail on the corner of Jefferson and Taylor or purchase some sourdough bread at Boudin's. Continue to walk northeast on Jefferson to Pier 39. Walk to the end of the pier to see the sea lions.

All done? Take the F streetcar or the Hyde Street cable car (both offer great views, the F is less expensive and goes along the Embarcadero and Market Street, the Hyde Street cable car offers an almost heart stopping ride up Hyde Street-yep, it's steep!) to Powell and Market Street. You're in the heart of downtown and Union Square shopping.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions, need restaurant recommendations or would like additional insight. Yelp.com also offers a wealth of knowledge.

Enjoy the city that we love!

Happy and safe journeys,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby Sal 101008 Prince Bart.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	80850  
Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Baby Sal

Now your talkin'!!!! If its not aluminum its got to be wood....and float. A wood boat in the upper coast area is my dream.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
overland Park , Kansas
Pelican point camp ground in half moon bay is nice and the city is accessible using highway one. this is a pretty drive but you don't want to take the trailer. for your one day I would spend it in golden gate park, the aboritium, de young art museum, and the science museum and just walking around in the park will more than fill a day, in reality this could fill 2-3 days. have fun.
Carl Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
You might find a visit to Knob Hill, Chinatown and The Waterfront interesting and enjoyable. We certainly did. Have fun.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Murry's post is very good albeit a very crowded schedule. I lived in the East Bay for over 15 years ( 1952 - 1967) and did know it well. Now our frequent visits are to our daughter and family in Oakland. Once there the driving to SF is done by our son-in-law and THAT is the way to 'see' SF. So for you - utilize the public transportation (ya gotta do the cable cars) to Fisherman's Wharf. That all said one day isn't nearly enough. Oh, I came from Detroit to Ca. via Rte 66 in '52. Welcome to California.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi there,

You might try this rv park. Its about as close to the city as you can get and very clean. Welcome to Novato RV Park

From there your about 1/2 hour into the city.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
San Francisco RV Resort

We were on a caravan to Salem Oregon and stopped for two nights at the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica, Ca. Nice park and ten minute drive to the Bart rail system where you can travel the bart back and forth for about a buck or two each way. Very convenient and plenty of parking at the Bart Station.
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I hope you reconsider and expand your time a day or two while in the San Fran area. If not, I think you'll look back with real regret at the things there that you missed enjoying. I agree with all the above, especially the dim sum if you've not enjoyed this experience. I'd add a bay trip (fun in itself) across to Sausalito to sit awhile at a bayside outdoor cafe and linger over a glass of wine or whatever your pleasure may be, looking back across bay to the city on the hill. Just beautiful and memorable. So much to do. Enjoy it all! By the way, the trolley car museum is terrific. I hope you can work in the days for a drive to hike Muir Woods and to go on to sample Sonoma and Napa Valleys. ~G If you can't find the days to linger now, begin planning your return trip, for you surely will want to come back soon!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The chocolate shop at Ghirardelli Square is a good place to visit, and if you happen to be there in early September go to the Chocolate Festival.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
My wife and I have traveled all over the world and our favorite city is still San Francisco, and we live only 45 minutes away. Do yourself a favor and spend more that one day there or you will regret it. I did hear that the RV park in Pacifica/Colma/Daly City area is OK.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We checked out the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica last year. It's on a cliff above the ocean, and you can hear the surf and see the fog rolling in. Pacifica is quaint, too; lots of interesting places for tourists to shop and eat (but kind of expensive).

The RV Park is a parking lot, and it is packed in the summer months (didn't check in the winter); also, it was higher than we wanted to pay at the time, but their rates might be a little lower this year, because of the economy. While the facilities looked well maintained, it looked like it served best as a place to drop the trailer while going into the city (SF). Lots of traffic, though; so lots of people stay there.

There's a KOA a little further south on Highway 1, almost to Santa Cruz (if I recall correctly), but it was kind of high, too. I think it was around $85 a night before; but the KOA Web site says $65-80 now. These spots were more spreadout, and there were lots of trees. It was within walking distance to the ocean, but the shore was far enough away that we couldn't see the water or hear the surf.

Both of these RV Parks looked safe; just expensive, compared to other areas (not in California).

We checked out the KOA in Petaluma, too. Really nice park with petting zoo for the kids. Close to the wine country and the coast, but expensive, too. Also, not very close to the city.

Has anyone checked out the RV Park in Novato? I'd be interested in hearing more about that location. Looks like a nice place.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
The RV park in Novato is about 5 minutes from my house. Its in a nice safe location and about 1/2 hour from San Francisco or 1/2 hour from wine country. There is a great little deli attached to it, a small store with rv supplies and overall nice facilities. Everything there is back in as there are no pull through's. Not too tight unless your one of those large prevost busses.

Its a completely different experience than the KOA which is more rural. The only problem with Petaluma is the northbound traffic in the evenings. The traffic kind of starts northward in Novato and gets worse all the way to Santa Rosa.

Vinnie

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I looked on Google Earth, and the Novato RV Park looks completely full when they took the satellite photo. Just guessing from the shadows, but it looks like the photo was taken in the winter. Assuming the arial photo of the San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica was taken at the same time of year, that park was only about 25-30% full.

Is it likely that there will be available spots in Novato in mid-summer?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I looked on Google Earth, and the Novato RV Park looks completely full when they took the satellite photo. Just guessing from the shadows, but it looks like the photo was taken in the winter. Assuming the arial photo of the San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica was taken at the same time of year, that park was only about 25-30% full.

Is it likely that there will be available spots in Novato in mid-summer?

They do a pretty good job of keeping overnight sites available. There are several folks that live there full time around the perimeter and commute into the city for work.

Vinnie

Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
200 state parks?

I just read that at the top of the California state budget plan is the closure of 200 state parks
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I heard that on the news last night too... how do they plan to do that? Will there be national guardsmen at the gates? California is so screwed up!

Vin