Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
If You Find My Sewer Hose ....

The twist on cap for my sewer hose storage fell off somewhere on US50 between Montrose and Canon City. The sewer hose slinkied its way out of course.

Needed a new one anyway, and first time ever after many miles but still makes me wonder....anyone modified the storage tube with an easier to install cap?
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
The twist on cap for my sewer hose storage fell off somewhere on US50 between Montrose and Canon City. The sewer hose slinkied its way out of course.

Needed a new one anyway, and first time ever after many miles but still makes me wonder....anyone modified the storage tube with an easier to install cap?
It's not just ease-of-install on that stupid cap. I had been frustrated with how hard it was to get it to go on properly, BECAUSE I always made sure to install it properly and never want to put a knee down at a dump station to make it easier... I'm very confident I was closing it correctly on my long trip early this summer when it stopped staying closed. I learned my lesson... when the slinky left me, I started just connecting the ends of the replacement together and putting it in the bumper trunk. The cap eventually fell off again and took its leave of my trailer altogether. Eventually I want to come up with a more positive/easier to use cap, until then I'm using the bumper trunk.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Our cap worked it's way loose east of Quebec City years ago. The hose gradually slinked its way out and I noticed it in the mirror just as it fell out completely. It had dragged down the road and was worn through. Now we put a piece of tape across the cover which seems to work.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It's not just ease-of-install on that stupid cap. I had been frustrated with how hard it was to get it to go on properly, BECAUSE I always made sure to install it properly and never want to put a knee down at a dump station to make it easier... I'm very confident I was closing it correctly on my long trip early this summer when it stopped staying closed. I learned my lesson... when the slinky left me, I started just connecting the ends of the replacement together and putting it in the bumper trunk. The cap eventually fell off again and took its leave of my trailer altogether. Eventually I want to come up with a more positive/easier to use cap, until then I'm using the bumper trunk.

[ATTACH]. I lost the drain tube also. So I removed the one with a twist cover and installed this one with a hinge cover and easy locking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	353627  
Old 10-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
with the cap properly installed I drilled a hole through the cap and pipe so that I could slip a length of wire through the hole and bend it over. Has always worked.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yeah, I hated that stupid cap. Ugh.

We recently switched to a SuperTube to hold a RhinoFlex dump hose (most OEM and Valterra holders are too narrow for the Rhino). I wish I had installed it years ago (our rig is a MH but this equipment is universal). You can read about that upgrade in this thread.

The SuperTube cap has an up-down lever that is very easy to operate, but it also has a hole into which a small carabiner style clip can be added for two-way security on keeping the cap closed.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Thx! A new tube is going on my upgrade list.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
So far I have been tolerating the stock cap by installing thin yellow strips of tape that align the cap in the depressions/unlocked position, and in the final installed and locked position. I do take a knee to get it right, using a foam pad.
I also carry a spare Rhino expandable hose in the rear bumper compartment, and use that most of the time. At some camps, I need both.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
Sewer Pipe Cap

I lost my hose too....cap fell off. I used a pipe strap from Lowes and secured it around the pipe inside of the cap and attached two very small bungies to it on both sides so the bungies can be pulled over the cap when it is on. No more problems!
SteelyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Guess that explains the hose I saw on I10 West Between PHX and Blyth, CA....
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I only store my back-up/extension hose in the tube because it’s so difficult to open/close.

My rear bumper is basically sewer central - tools/caps/elbows, etc. BTW - instead of connecting the hose end-to-end, you can also buy the caps for each end. I find that a bit simpler then twisting the hose to fit in the bumper
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I appreciate the ideas.
I share the frustration of losing the hose. Of course, it happened with a full tank on a Sunday evening. Once I found a replacement hose, I used a small bungy cord behind the tube holding bracket and connected the two ends in front of the cap and under the center circular handle. It needs to be a small bungy. So far it has worked.
Espresso2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
[ATTACH]. I lost the drain tube also. So I removed the one with a twist cover and installed this one with a hinge cover and easy locking
We didn't lose our hose ... but I got fed up with the cap on the old tube being so hard to get on and off, and like someone else said, I don't like having to go down on a knee to deal with it... PLUS the original was installed too far in under the belly pan and was hard to reach, much less twist open/close. So we had it replaced with this same tube with the hinged door as well... It's great..easy to open/close, very secure, and also has a hole in the closure hardware to put a cotter pin or small padlock through (what we use). Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1062.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	353667  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Made my own set up, with a length of light gauge drainage pipe and a short length of bungee cord to keep it in. Ends are open to the air so it can “drip dry”.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Two in the bumper, one in the truck bed (antiseptically wrapped) and a brand new one as another spare in the hose bin. Done some stupid things with earlier sewer hoses. At dump stations, don’t kneel, squat.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
I switched by system to Waste Master by Lippert. I had the dealer change over the connection when I took delivery of it. Back bumper holds two lengths with the connection, and some other components if needed. It takes a little maneuvering to make it fit, but there is no need to fiddle with anything on your knees. Open the cam, put the hose in, close the clamps. No leaks and the connection to the waste "station" has an on/off lever which helps with controlling the flow. In fact, I love it so much, I am installing it on my soon to be mine Classic. There is a video on the site that is what helped me make my decision.
SilvaStreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
This is not a new problem in the industry. I remember seeing lost hoses and dangling hoses from trailers in the 70s.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
I hung a couple flexible tubes (like the tube in the sideways pictures below) alongside the factory tube. Made one shorter, one longer & to make capping them easier, I put knobs on each of the 4 snap on/snap off caps. I tied the caps on with bungee so they cant dangle, be dragged, get run over or get left behind.
Slinky only goes in the original tube and nothing else. I use the flexible tubes to store a patio & rain umbrella, a mile or 2 of led lighting, a telescoping flag pole & flag, a solid flag pole & flag, and a couple different lengths of garden hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20191011_13_17_40_Rich_LI.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	354057   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191011_13_15_41_Rich_LI.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	354058  

TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #19
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Added a velco strip top and bottom to solve this problem - never lost a hose but had the caps undo
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
There is a lot wrong with that storage tube and end cap design. After I lost my hose and cap (wondering who would steal such a thing?) I chose never to use it again. Think about what you’re doing: pushing that hose into a tube and getting splashed and misted with aerosolIzed poop and other body fluids all over your face, arms and chest while pushing it in. I close mine end to end and stow it in a rubber maid bin. Much more sanitary.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote