Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Man . . . that's a two hour putt putt. I haven't been over there since 1994. Did I mention my wife doesn't like to travel (if ya don't count two trips a day to Wal Mart)?

If I had my way I'd be home two weeks then gone three, home two then gone three . . .
Don't feel too bad, the Victoria Clipper just announced stopping it's service about two weeks ago. The good news is the Coho only takes one hour and twenty minuites each way so it's not too bad.

Sorry to hear about the wife. Just tell her there are new Wal Marts to shop all along the way. Also we have some huge outlet centers.

Cheers, Dan

Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I liked Port Angeles a lot. We stayed there several days at a nice campground. I don't remember the name. We were near the end of a three week motorcycle/camping trip. We went west by way of Albuquerque, NM and got on the coast at Morrow Bay, CA. We were 10 days up the coast with memorable stops at Monterey, San Simeon, and San Francisco. Ate a lot of clam soup out of bread bowls.

Of course we came home by way of Interstate 90. The Idaho pan handle is really pretty. We found beautiful campgrounds and extremely good places to eat there.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I liked Port Angeles a lot. We stayed there several days at a nice campground. I don't remember the name. We were near the end of a three week motorcycle/camping trip. We went west by way of Albuquerque, NM and got on the coast at Morrow Bay, CA. We were 10 days up the coast with memorable stops at Monterey, San Simeon, and San Francisco. Ate a lot of clam soup out of bread bowls.

Of course we came home by way of Interstate 90. The Idaho pan handle is really pretty. We found beautiful campgrounds and extremely good places to eat there.
Oh my Splitrock -- THAT is my dream trip. Really. Just got goosebumps from reading your post. *sigh* maybe one day . . . !!!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Don't plan anything that involves driving Highway 1 near Big Sur (on the coast between Monterey and Cambria). A section of the highway fell into the ocean this week and it will be months before it's repaired.

When it's done, though, that is one of the most beautiful drives in California, IMO.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had a friend who told me there is a lovely campground in the middle of Port Angeles, city owned, down in a hollow right in the middle of town. He said you can stay there and walk right to downtown, go take a ferry to Victoria for a day, it's a great home base spot. Does anyone know what campground that is?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I liked hwy 1 a lot. I rode all of it from Morrow Bay till it ended. I almost lost it north of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Hwy 1 exit is right at the start of the bridge on the north end. It came up a LOT quicker than I expected. I had to make a turn around and go back to get on it.

We did a lot of touring in the 90's. We made one three week trip to Yellowstone, Jackson, Wyoming, all the way up the Idaho river to Glacier Park. We made another to Washington DC and got on Skyline Drive at Mile 1 in Virginia, and rode it and the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Cherokee, NC. Then up to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg to Dollywood, then to Franklin, Tennessee and mile one of the Natchez Trace to Natchez, Mississippi.

We camped all the way except to stay a few days at a couple of the lodges along the Blue Ridge. We liked Asheville a LOT. We stayed there a week, made a side trip to Greenville, SC, (stayed at Scuffletown) and went back to Asheville. Beautiful scenery, pretty women, and good food. What's to not like? :-)

All of the campgrounds were nice. The people were nice to us. Scuffletown had dances every week in a big barn. They had tame peacocks running all over the campground.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Olympic Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
The Olympic Peninsula?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I do agree the Olympic Peninsula is a great place to spend some time with a variety of things to see and do. I might be biased because I live here.
Me three! Olympic Peninsula. You can visit Quinault and the Hoh Rainforests! I've only been to Quinault. I can't wait for the day we get to go back to the Olympic Peninsula!

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I had a friend who told me there is a lovely campground in the middle of Port Angeles, city owned, down in a hollow right in the middle of town. He said you can stay there and walk right to downtown, go take a ferry to Victoria for a day, it's a great home base spot. Does anyone know what campground that is?
It's listed as "Pat MCCormick Family LLC. in the phone book. It actually sits on the bank of Peabody Creek which runs right through the middle of Port Angeles. The entrance to the park is about 200 yards from the main intersection in the center of town and about two blocks from Sunset Beach and the ferry dock. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it. It is also about 18 miles from Hurricane Ridge Which is at 5300' elevation and about the same distance to Lake Crescent which is most beautiful. The lodge at Lake Crescent was visited by Laura Bush and friends several years ago.

Cheers, Dan
Old 03-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Me three! Olympic Peninsula. You can visit Quinault and the Hoh Rainforests! I've only been to Quinault. I can't wait for the day we get to go back to the Olympic Peninsula!
From the Hoe Rain Forest Visitor Center you can hike 35 miles to Mt. Olympus and travel through seven temperate zones. They say that is the shortest distance in the world to visit seven temperate zones.

The lodge at Quinault is great and if you travel furthur up Hwy 101 you will find Kalaloch, a great place right on the beach.

Cheers, Dan
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's been a while, but we had a blast with kids ( a few years older than 6) taking ferry to Vancouver Island (KOA between Victoria and Schwartz Bay BC Ferry terminal) and touring the island, though not really a warm and toasty experience.. On way back, we stopped at Twin Lakes Campground on San Juan Island (now part of Lakedale Resort) which was also delightful...

If you have time in summer, the Canadian Rockies National Park and Glacier national Park are uncrowded and worth the trip, but not when roads closed or covered in snow and ice...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Manzanita, OR. Best beach town in OR. Quiet, out of the way, on the beach. Not much radiation yet.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I too was going to mention going south... Astoria (visit Ft. Capslop (sp)), Cannon Beach, Beverly Beach... LOVE the coast!
Marc
Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #27
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Last year for spring break we went to find some sun... drove up the Columbia Gorge to Pendleton, Or (snowed next day) then over to Walla Walla (snowed again), drove around the Paloose. Next we went to Tri Cities (finally found some sun but windy, then down to Maryhill and the WA side of the Gorge back home (too much snow to go back White Pass). Except for not finding the sun, it was a great trip.
We hope to do the Olympic Peninsula this spring break.
1965 Chev Carryall

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...ind%20Rebuild/
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I too was going to mention going south... Astoria (visit Ft. Capslop (sp)), Cannon Beach...
GOONIES country! I just revealed my age as a relative young'un (and that's if you even have any idea what I'm talking about). But when we start our journey up the coast, that's one of the destinations I'm most looking forward to. (That and the Snoqualmie region in WA, where Twin Peaks was filmed).