Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

If only I'd thought to bring...

Well, I'm going out West this month and I'm coming back with a trailer!!

I've done lots of tent camping, and inevitably one of my first homecoming chores is to make a list of stuff to bring ...next time.

Since I love lists, and I've never done the trailer thing before, I thought I'd ask the experienced to share their Ultimate Airstream Road Trip List.

Anything goes - whether it's tools, kitchen utensils, stuffed animals for company - whatever you put on your list.

And I'll share mine...when I come home!

Holly
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
when we head out many things we usually need are already in our Airstream, stored there. The basics of course in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom areas.
Also some board games, cards, a pair of binoculars, a power inverter (small 300 watt), and maps, trailerlife campground guide, magazines, etc. Tools, extra light bulbs, electrical and duct tape, scissors, extra batterries, velcro strips ( handy for holding lots of things together).
To this we ad our needs for the specific trip, not to include of course food, and personal needs.
No matter how prepared I feel like I am, it helps to have a checklist, as we almost always forget something! This last trip we forgot our digital camera, the book I was reading, and new magazines for my wife. Also, ketchup for the kids, which is an item of utmost importance.........
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Don't forget...

one of every size of fuse in both your rigs. A must have. It'll save your skin.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

fuses and stay-in-the-trailer-stuff

Cool! Thanks for the advice so far. I'm going to have to modify my request to ask what you all keep in your trailers permanently too!

I'm imagining dishes clanging around the cabinets and it occurs to me that I haven't even thought about how you keep stuff _still_ while you're on the go!

As to fuses, THANKS! I would never have thought of that. (Of course I may buy extras and bring them but forget about the possibility that they could actually fix something that goes wrong...)

As always, thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Items to carry

A lug wrench that fits.

The one for your tow vehicle often does not fit the trailer. I like the 4-way wrenches that fit most everything and are easy to get leverage on a tough klug nut.

Duct tape.

When I went to Copper Canyon, Mexico, a few years ago, the tour operator required that every RV carry a roll of duct tape. We used to call it 100-knot tape when we used it on our gliders. You can nail down anything loose with it.

Tool kit

I carry one of the fitted toolkits with a variety of wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. Sears has this kind of kit, among other places. Mine aren't expensive tools; variety is more useful than quality. I also carry a tire gage and a 12v compressor.

Warm blankets and cell phone

This being winter, even if you stay in motels enroute, some warm blankets will make a breakdown a lot easier to take. I carry a dual-band phone on all longer trips. In analog mode, I can get out on it most paces.

Miscellaneous

Not knowing the condition of the trailer, I don't know whether you will be camping or staying in motels. A campground guide can be handy, but I seldom drag one along anymore.

Throwaway plastic gloves, especially if you will be dumping tanks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Motel?

Tee hee! I hadn't even considered a motel - I figured if I can sleep out in a tent, I can sleep in even the worst of trailers. You guys are all gonna be expecting some Lucy type of tale from me when I get back, huh?

But really this one's a real peach. It's pretty much 100% restored, and I can't wait to stay in it!

I've already scoped out campgrounds for the way back...

Check, check, check - my list is getting better!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The more stuff you have dedicated and leave in the trailer, the less there is to forget!

Our Gotta Have's (for the two of us, in no particular order) that stay in the trailer all the time:

Electrical outlet tester and/or cheap multimeter (no point pulling into a spot if the power and water aren't working)

25' 30A extension cord

50' 15A extension cord

30A female to 15A male electrical plug adapter

25' freshwater drinking hose (at least 2)

Water pressure regulator if the trailer doesn't have one.

10'-15' Sewer hose (at least 2)
Trailer to hose coupler
Hose to campgound coupler.
Hose to hose coupler.

Water thief adapter (for putting hose on non-threaded spigots)

Leveling Blocks

Chocks

2' 2X12 board for jack foot

Lock for coupler

Bubble Level (for parking)

Pair of FRS radios & charger (for parking)

Fire extinguisher with at least 1 or 2 A rating, and 5-10 BC preferably non-corrosive, non-residue gas/liquid

LP Leak detector - at least soapy water on all connections, preferably a wired detector inside.

Weather alert radio

2 good flashlights w/spare bulbs & batteries

Spares for all trailer bulbs and fuses

Basic set of tools

Bow saw

Ax

Shovel

Roll of duct tape

Roll of electrical tape

Bundle of long cable ties

Assortment of different bungie cords

GI sewing kit (pins, safety pins, needles, thread, spare buttons of different sizes)

Tweezers

Nail clippers and file

Scissors

120V Dirt Devil vacuum

Folding travel clothes iron

One white, one black spring wire & mesh clothes hampers

Camping World Nesting Pots and Pans

Cast iron skillet

Pizza Pan

Mini crock pot

2 slice bagel toaster

Hand Mixer

4 cup coffee maker

Not sure what cooking utensils the wife has...

4 large plates, 4 small plates, 4 bowls, 4 glasses, 4 coffee mugs, 4 flatware settings

4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, 4 wash cloths

2 fitted sheets, 2 top sheets, 4 pillow cases

1 comforter

2 pillows

TV

Sat Receiver

I'm sure I've left out some of the permanent stuff.

Consumables (check before departing)

Paper Towels (kitchen)

Paper Plates (kitchen)

Coffee Filters (kitchen)

Garbage Bags (kitchen)

Dishwashing Liquid (kitchen)

Sponges/Scrubber Pads (kitchen)

GP Cleaner (409, etc) (kitchen)

Furniture/Dusting Polish (kitchen)

Windex (kitchen)

Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner (kitchen)

Laundry Detergent (kitchen)

Bleach (kitchen)

Rolls of quarters for laundry (kitchen)

Baking Soda (kitchen)

Kitty litter (kitchen)

Disposable butane grill lighters for lighting stove/oven, HWH, frig. (kitchen)

Matches (kitchen)

Bottle of distilled water for battery maintenance (kitchen)

Insect spray (for around wheels, jacks) (kitchen)

Surgical gloves for dumping (water hookup compartment)

Fast Orange Hand Cleaner (water hookup compartment)

Bath Soap (shower)

Shampoo (shower)

Razors/shave cream (vanity & shower)

Toilet Paper (vanity)

Hand Soap (vanity)

Deodorant (vanity)

Kleenex (vanity)

Feminine products (vanity)

Makeup (vanity)

Hair care (vanity)

Tooth brushes, paste, floss (vanity)

Sunscreen (vanity)

Insect repellant (vanity)

Medicines (vanity)

Vitamins, etc (vanity)

First-aid (vanity)

Holding tank chemicals (vanity)

To load in the truck bed:

Rolled up patio rug

8' step ladder

Brush on a pole

50' Garden hose w/nozzle

Wash bucket

Pet carrier disassembled and nested (for emergency trips to the vet)

Portable gas BBQ in pet carrier

Folding Table

Folding Lawn Chairs

Sat dish and cable

Generators and gas cans (hopefully some day)

And that doesn't even cover food, clothes, and things like the cell phone, digital camera, notebook PC, Palm Pilot, that usually come along in the truck on a trip even without the trailer.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
A really decent first aid kit, you probably thought of that
A 1 gallon wet and dry vac. It is small, nice to get back in corners, cabinets, and so far I haven't had to use the wet portion.
Rags and an old vinyl table cloth or tarp if you have to get underneath, along with some old disposable clothes and gloves.
Spare engine belt(s). You don't want to know what spares I really carry for my mh.
A good rechargeable spotlight and small led flashlight.
Warning triangles or flares.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

So you found one..........

Holly,

Major congrats!!!! That yr & type did you find?

Don't forget to enjoy the whole experience!! The good time and not so good times!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Roadkingmoe

That is a tremendous list. That took a lot of time and effort to compile. I keep my checklists in an Air Force Pilot Checklist binder and yours is going in as soon as I can print it up.

Thanks again!!!
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elmendorf AFB

Vic,

I worked Crash/Rescue in AK and I glad we didn't have to meet !

John
Old 01-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wow - I feel like I owe you guys money!!!

My new baby will be a '69 Globetrotter with blonde wood and the coveted dinette layout. I'll post pictures as soon as I've paid for it.

Thank you thank you Road King - I got four good belly laughs reading your list:

1. The folding travel iron - I haven't ironed anything in at least two years and I've got the big fancy kind and an ironing board and a whole laundry room to do it in!
2. How do you FIT all this STUFF into a TRAILER??
3. Kitty litter - i laughed at myself for thinking you meant this for a cat,
and
4. then I read about the pet carrier!!!

(I've got two cats, but they're not coming near my trailer!!)

Priceless. Thanks all.
-H
Old 01-08-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Overkill

RoadKingMoe's list is great for someone who lives in a 34' A/S full time, but it is overkill for getting a trailer home the first time.

He did list some things that I should have listed like levelling blocks, chocks, water hoses, and dump hoses. Some of that may be with the trailer already.

If this is, as I read into it, a go out, get it, and drag it right home mission, go as light as possible; just take the essentials. Then, when you get it home, inventory your storage spaces and make a computer list of what goes where. You can juggle items a lot easier on paper than in the confines of a trailer. Now, go down RoadKingMoe's list and pick off the items that you have a need for and the space to stow.

By the time my trailer was in my driveway for the first time, I had a detailed list of what went where. That made outfitting the trailer a snap and I know exactly where everything resides.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by startrekker2001
Roadkingmoe

That is a tremendous list. That took a lot of time and effort to compile. I keep my checklists in an Air Force Pilot Checklist binder and yours is going in as soon as I can print it up.

Thanks again!!!
Thanks, Vic. As with flying, the important ones to have in the binder are the preflight, take-off, and landing (setup) checklists. I still need to do these myself! It's too easy to have someone come up and talk to you, distracting you and making you forget something. I'm going to do one for winterizing too. I got distracted this past fall and that pump put a gallon of antifreeze in the hot water heater before I remembered I forgot to bypass it.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I see several votes for duct tape. A far better choice is aluminum tape. I go nowhere without mine. Available at most home centers, it adhears far better, is far stronger, and is largely weatherproof. Many times it can effect what can be considered a permanent repair.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Holly,
John is right about the stuff for bringing it home. You don't need the ax and bow saw for collecting firewood But since you asked for "Ultimate Airstream Road Trip List" that's what I gave you. I didn't mention it, but I actually carry a small Stihl chain saw along. Less work cutting up dead limbs for firewood. And I left out the water spray bottle for ironing and making cats behave! LOL!

We also take along the Canon S900 Photo Printer, not to mention a well-stocked bar. If you want to know how we fit it all, check out The Long LONG Trailer in my signature. And we aren't even full-timing yet (soon). Our two cats are declawed, so we don't worry about them in the trailer.

We put paper towels between the dishes. Someone on the 'net told us to put glasses in socks. Works great! The pots and pans nest in each other in the frying pan which is on the pizza pan on an oven rack. I bungie the oven handle to the cooktop. For the bar, every other bottle comes out, I put in a strip of that thin packing foam 12" wide and put them back so the foam weaves between them.

When we get the final TV and stuff, I'll get some TV Grips, but for now I put it between the bed and wall with pillow around it while we're rolling. It's also hard to beat the rubber cabinet/shelf liner that keeps stuff from moving. Museum clay is good to hold vases, pictures, etc in place.

For your trip home...

I'd definitely make sure they give you the tongue jack foot (and the stabilizer jack cranks as well as the manual crank for the tongue jack even if it s electric), and have at least a coupla chocks (two 18" 2X4's nailed together make a good chock). I like to have the board for the jack foot... ground may be soft. It's also good for placing a bottle jack on if you have to change a tire on the trailer. If you're going to fire up the frig, have some leveling blocks also. Pieces of 2X8 lumber with an angle cut on the end, the yellow Camping World legos, or the orange Lynx Levelers will do. You don't want to run the frig off-level.

If you're going to camp in it on the way home, sooner or later you're going to need a coupla fresh water hoses, a coupla sewer hoses and the attachments (Airstream dump valves are different from other RVs so you may need an adapter), and you may need the 30A extension cord and/or the 15A/30A adapter, so may as well have them to start. Ask the previous owners if they're providing them.

I personally wouldn't camp in it unless they've added a LP detector, or I'd turned the bottles on and went over every connection myself with soapy water. Seriously. Ask if the bottles have OPD valves. If they don't, you may not be able to get them filled in some areas and may have additional expense getting them retrofitted. If they've been sitting empty, I'd have 'em purged and refilled before departing. Personally, I'd also tow it with a full fresh water tank so I'd know if it leaks before I got it home. You can also test the water pump if you fill it at their site.

If you're going to be camping with an older furnace, refrigerator, or hot water heater you're not familiar with, I'd find a battery powered CO detector for the trailer. Seriously.

Look at the condition of the tires carefully. Make sure there's a spare and it's in good condition, and ALL are correctly inflated. By the time you realize you have a flat, the tire may be too far gone to repair. Check the pressure in them yourself. Hopefully, they'll have proof of the last time the wheel bearings were packed and the brakes were checked. Hook it up and check the brakes yourself before making final payment and departing. Check all the running lights, turn signals and brake lights.

John made a good point about the lug wrench too. Make sure you have one that fits, or get one before you travel far.

I'd also bring a bottle of distilled water. If all works correctly, you're going to be charging the batteries as you drive on the trip home, so you want to start with full cells. Personally, I'd bring a battery tester along and negoitate the price down if they aren't full and fully charged according to specific gravity.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

FWIW, I graduated from high school in 1969! That was a long time ago! I'd have loved to have had the time to restore an A/S from this year!

Hope this helps! We're real happy for ya!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Becareful with the TV!

I always put a blanket over the picture tube. Well last trip, the wife set the TV on the floor with the tube up against the metal strip on the tambour doors under the couch. Well the tube rubbed on metal and now we have a black spot in the middle of the tube. I don't think there is anything I can do about it. The TV is an Orion I got at Wally World for $68. Cheap set, but works great, even has A/V inputs on the front, which is great for viewing pictures taken with my Olympus digital camera.

Dang, Maurice, if we ever go to a rally, I want to camp next to you. I'll help you rotate your stock in the bar!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Becareful with the TV!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Dang, Maurice, if we ever go to a rally, I want to camp next to you. I'll help you rotate your stock in the bar!
That's what it's there for! We'll have a good time! You going to the Region 4 Rally in Xenia OH this Spring?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
BTW, Pick, I saw what you posted your wife said about the curtains. The table on the left is a "sewing table," and the couch arm on that side will contain a sewing machine, sewing box (thread, bobbins, scissors, attachments, and other tools).
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

I fulltime and if I carried half of the stuff that you guys do, I wouldn't make over a hill, let alone a pass !!!

After you set-up & break-down a couple of dozen times, your check-list begins to be a zen like state of mind!!!

I love this forum-John

p.s. if it works for you, that's all that matters-eh!!