Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #101
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yup, its been wet and cool here but it shouldn't last long Ken. how long you hanging around here in the Valley?

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... a rain suit? To Mesa, AZ? Yep, we are now enjoying our third night of drenching, rain and 47 degree temps here in Mesa where we escaped to, from the winter in Albuquerque.
One nice thing about also being sailors is that we have great foul weather gear and aren't afraid to use it!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Here All Winter... Off and On

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Yup, its been wet and cool here but it shouldn't last long Ken. how long you hanging around here in the Valley?
Airstream will stay in Apache Wells for the winter. We spend ten days at a stretch here in Mesa, then ten days in Abq, throughout the winter as travel conditions permit.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4521red View Post
Well, I'm going out West this month and I'm coming back with a trailer!!

I've done lots of tent camping, and inevitably one of my first homecoming chores is to make a list of stuff to bring ...next time.

Since I love lists, and I've never done the trailer thing before, I thought I'd ask the experienced to share their Ultimate Airstream Road Trip List.

Anything goes - whether it's tools, kitchen utensils, stuffed animals for company - whatever you put on your list.

And I'll share mine...when I come home!

Holly

You were a tent camper, so was I. When I started AS camping 5 years ago I put in only with what I would take tent camping, and then added what I found I needed on later trips. I still haven't come close to filling up the storage. But the notes about the fuses, a small tool kit, and of course a full bar are spot on. Most people take way too much. In our kitchen we have a baguette baking pan, a two quart sauce pan with a small skillet that fits as a lid, that's all. We also have a medium Dutch oven to cook outside and a small grill to cook over a fire. Oh, I forgot, an 8 quart stock pot for pasta and roast meats, and a bag of charcoal. Our friends see this and can't believe it but we eat very well, fresh bread every morning. You really don't need a lot of stuff. One jacket, one sweater, etc. An iPad or Kindle means you don't have to take a lot of books, magazines or DVDs. Fresh food takes up more space than canned or boxed food, and we do fill up the fridge and the pantry.

My parents always had an RV and stuffed it to the gills. When they first saw my 25' FB Int'l they couldn't believe how little storage space it had, in their eyes. But it wasn't even half filled, and we camp 100 nights each summer. We boondock almost exclusively, 6 nights at a site, then into town to dump the tanks and buy fresh food and water. We only use a commercial campground at Christmas when visiting the grandkids in CA.

Stay a minimalist and you will love your new lifestyle. You don't need much stuff.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #105
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I realized things changed when my wife started calling our AS, "our house"..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #106
Avion am I

1968 17' Caravel
San Luis Obispo , California
Camp List

[QUOTE=4521red;21251]Well, I'm going out West this month and I'm coming back with a trailer!!............

Over the years I have developed a "complete" list of essentials, wanted and "nice to have" items for trailer and motorhome.

I will be glad to share my lists with anyone. Just send your request to:
joecodi@clearsightusa.com and be sure to write in the subject: AIRSTREAM LIST.

Cheers,
JC
joecodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #107
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Have you ever gone back and just looked at the dates on some threads? This one kicked off in 2003, was fairly active, sat dormant for two years, had two posts in 2005, half a year later in '06 it started getting a little steam up, stayed fairly active all the way through 2012, with a couple six month breaks, then sat dormant for a whole year until yesterday.

Just found it interesting... I wonder what's the longest one has sat dead until being revived...

I kept a journal of every trip, every leak, every repair I made on our old Winne. Left it in the camper when I sold it. The next owners called me up a few years later to comment on how much they enjoyed reading the journal. It was an adventure...

Need to start my own check list...

-Red
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
One of the most important items we carry is our cordless drill / flashlight kit. I made up a 3/4 " driver that fits in the drill chuck. This enables me to power up or down the 4 trailer corner jacks effortlessly.

The high powered, self supporting flashlight is also very usefull. Big batteries last a long time and the 2nd battery is always ready in the charger when required. The lens will rotate on an eccentric which allows the light to to be aimed almost anywhere.

Cost of this kit is only about $120.00 CDN. A higher powered 18 volt unit is also available.

We also have one of those "throw-away", use once, cameras in the glove box of all of our vehicles. You never know when you are going to need a quick image. You know the old saying.... a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in court when need to get your point of view across. These cameras are about $10. A good investment.
We use a Snap-On screwdriver. Small so it will fit in tight spaces. As powerful as a large cordless drill. Comes with a pair of batteries and a quick charger. Check it out. Pricey but it's what a lot of mechanics and body shop techs use. Saves lots of space, too.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #109
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapa Nui View Post
We use a Snap-On screwdriver..... Pricey but.....
hi,

model number? thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
hi,

model number? thanks!
CTS561CL includes a second battery and a case. Here's the link. You'd be surprised how long the battery lasts and how powerful the screwdriver is. Both forward and reverse are on the trigger. Press up is forward. Press down is reverse. And, no, I don't work for Snapon!

http://store.snapon.com/CTS561CL-Ser...V-P646593.aspx
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Victoria , British Columbia
We now want a generator...after 3 days camping off the grid our battery was drained and the electric hitch motor was dead! Thankfully another camper had a honda generator so we were good to go in 10 minutes.had a great first trip out with the Pacific Bullet
Kgcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Ever since a trip to Big Bend in 2007, we have carried a pair of Honda 2000s. Hooked together they provide 30amp service and run the A/C efficiently and quietly. One might think 'That's a lot of $$$$$ for use at an occasional site that has no power.
WEll, they also saved us $$$$$$$ in 2008 when a hurricane hit the Texas coast and we were without power for several days. The Hondas ran our two refrigerators and freezers and several fans and two large fish tanks.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Have you ever gone back and just looked at the dates on some threads? This one kicked off in 2003, was fairly active, sat dormant for two years, had two posts in 2005, half a year later in '06 it started getting a little steam up, stayed fairly active all the way through 2012, with a couple six month breaks, then sat dormant for a whole year until yesterday.

Just found it interesting... I wonder what's the longest one has sat dead until being revived...

I kept a journal of every trip, every leak, every repair I made on our old Winne. Left it in the camper when I sold it. The next owners called me up a few years later to comment on how much they enjoyed reading the journal. It was an adventure...

Need to start my own check list...

-Red
There was one the other day that had been dead for over 10 years. Someone made a post on it. Funny thing was the post was totally off topic with nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #114
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Now I'll have to go find the oldest dead thread on the forum...

Was on a forum a few years ago, and there was a guy that made a hobby out of resurrecting ancient threads. It was interesting, and amusing, for a bit.

-Red
Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

I love our Airstream Excella!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
If only I'd thought to bring...

... my guitars.

For the Alumalina Rally (Lake Wateree, SC) I loaded all my sound gear (guitar amp, effects pedals, 100 watt powered speaker, 70 watt powered monitor, audio cables, extension cords, speaker stands, mic stands) on Tuesday evening so we could leave when I got home from work after 4pm Wed. I do not put my guitars in early though and planned to add before leaving.

I got befuddled when we decided to add 2 bikes to the trip at the last minute and had to unload then reload lots of the truck to get them to fit. In my haste to get going, I subsequently forgot the guitars (I usually bring at least one electric, and a 6-string acoustic).

At the Rally, I shared Bill's guitar (Thanks, Bill!) and got some playing in to get me past my withdrawal though.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Great camping at Jordan River Vancouver island just west of Sooke BC .... 30 meters from the ocean no hook ups but there is water and bathrooms and only $15.00 per night we go every second weekend will be there next weekend it is an amazing spot
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
RoadkingMoe pretty much nailed it for me! But I choose to not have TV, so the satellite is overkill. Nailclipers & duct tape showed me he was a pro! Did he mention 'soft toilet paper' for times you are not using RV toilet and that nasty tissue for when you are? Oh! One more thing, extra reading glasses!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #119
astreameddie

2015 30' Flying Cloud
la conner , Washington
Always bring a small pair of scissors with coated handle. I blew a fuse when lowering our 30 foot cloud.
I took out the fuse and made a connection by inserting the tips of the scissors where the fuse was. Connection made, trailer lowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
astreameddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Forget these long, complicated lists - you will want a level, set of leveling blocks, drinking water hose, sewer hose and 30 amp plug - you will get home with that and THEN start your personal list for future trips personalized to the type of camping you like. ENJOY!!!

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote