Old 01-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I see several votes for duct tape. A far better choice is aluminum tape. I go nowhere without mine. Available at most home centers, it adhears far better, is far stronger, and is largely weatherproof. Many times it can effect what can be considered a permanent repair.

Mark

Old 01-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Holly,
John is right about the stuff for bringing it home. You don't need the ax and bow saw for collecting firewood But since you asked for "Ultimate Airstream Road Trip List" that's what I gave you. I didn't mention it, but I actually carry a small Stihl chain saw along. Less work cutting up dead limbs for firewood. And I left out the water spray bottle for ironing and making cats behave! LOL!

We also take along the Canon S900 Photo Printer, not to mention a well-stocked bar. If you want to know how we fit it all, check out The Long LONG Trailer in my signature. And we aren't even full-timing yet (soon). Our two cats are declawed, so we don't worry about them in the trailer.

We put paper towels between the dishes. Someone on the 'net told us to put glasses in socks. Works great! The pots and pans nest in each other in the frying pan which is on the pizza pan on an oven rack. I bungie the oven handle to the cooktop. For the bar, every other bottle comes out, I put in a strip of that thin packing foam 12" wide and put them back so the foam weaves between them.

When we get the final TV and stuff, I'll get some TV Grips, but for now I put it between the bed and wall with pillow around it while we're rolling. It's also hard to beat the rubber cabinet/shelf liner that keeps stuff from moving. Museum clay is good to hold vases, pictures, etc in place.

For your trip home...

I'd definitely make sure they give you the tongue jack foot (and the stabilizer jack cranks as well as the manual crank for the tongue jack even if it s electric), and have at least a coupla chocks (two 18" 2X4's nailed together make a good chock). I like to have the board for the jack foot... ground may be soft. It's also good for placing a bottle jack on if you have to change a tire on the trailer. If you're going to fire up the frig, have some leveling blocks also. Pieces of 2X8 lumber with an angle cut on the end, the yellow Camping World legos, or the orange Lynx Levelers will do. You don't want to run the frig off-level.

If you're going to camp in it on the way home, sooner or later you're going to need a coupla fresh water hoses, a coupla sewer hoses and the attachments (Airstream dump valves are different from other RVs so you may need an adapter), and you may need the 30A extension cord and/or the 15A/30A adapter, so may as well have them to start. Ask the previous owners if they're providing them.

I personally wouldn't camp in it unless they've added a LP detector, or I'd turned the bottles on and went over every connection myself with soapy water. Seriously. Ask if the bottles have OPD valves. If they don't, you may not be able to get them filled in some areas and may have additional expense getting them retrofitted. If they've been sitting empty, I'd have 'em purged and refilled before departing. Personally, I'd also tow it with a full fresh water tank so I'd know if it leaks before I got it home. You can also test the water pump if you fill it at their site.

If you're going to be camping with an older furnace, refrigerator, or hot water heater you're not familiar with, I'd find a battery powered CO detector for the trailer. Seriously.

Look at the condition of the tires carefully. Make sure there's a spare and it's in good condition, and ALL are correctly inflated. By the time you realize you have a flat, the tire may be too far gone to repair. Check the pressure in them yourself. Hopefully, they'll have proof of the last time the wheel bearings were packed and the brakes were checked. Hook it up and check the brakes yourself before making final payment and departing. Check all the running lights, turn signals and brake lights.

John made a good point about the lug wrench too. Make sure you have one that fits, or get one before you travel far.

I'd also bring a bottle of distilled water. If all works correctly, you're going to be charging the batteries as you drive on the trip home, so you want to start with full cells. Personally, I'd bring a battery tester along and negoitate the price down if they aren't full and fully charged according to specific gravity.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

FWIW, I graduated from high school in 1969! That was a long time ago! I'd have loved to have had the time to restore an A/S from this year!

Hope this helps! We're real happy for ya!

Old 01-08-2003, 07:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Becareful with the TV!

I always put a blanket over the picture tube. Well last trip, the wife set the TV on the floor with the tube up against the metal strip on the tambour doors under the couch. Well the tube rubbed on metal and now we have a black spot in the middle of the tube. I don't think there is anything I can do about it. The TV is an Orion I got at Wally World for $68. Cheap set, but works great, even has A/V inputs on the front, which is great for viewing pictures taken with my Olympus digital camera.

Dang, Maurice, if we ever go to a rally, I want to camp next to you. I'll help you rotate your stock in the bar!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Becareful with the TV!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Dang, Maurice, if we ever go to a rally, I want to camp next to you. I'll help you rotate your stock in the bar!
That's what it's there for! We'll have a good time! You going to the Region 4 Rally in Xenia OH this Spring?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
BTW, Pick, I saw what you posted your wife said about the curtains. The table on the left is a "sewing table," and the couch arm on that side will contain a sewing machine, sewing box (thread, bobbins, scissors, attachments, and other tools).
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

I fulltime and if I carried half of the stuff that you guys do, I wouldn't make over a hill, let alone a pass !!!

After you set-up & break-down a couple of dozen times, your check-list begins to be a zen like state of mind!!!

I love this forum-John

p.s. if it works for you, that's all that matters-eh!!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Exactly what I was after...

You all just continue to amaze me, and it's all for FREE!! I feel like I've just finished a year of college.

I'm loving all of your suggestions, full time or not! This is truly an art form.

Quote:
I see several votes for duct tape. A far better choice is aluminum tape.
My son brought some of this home and I had no idea what it was. So the cool thing is...I already have it!!

Quote:
My beverage of choice is wine - and it comes already packed!

RoadKingMoe, I couldn't _not_ camp in it on the way home, but your suggestions will make it a success.

The guy I'm buying it from, seriously, is the finest kind. He's answered every question very straighforwardly, with both positive and negative, and I trust him. I just have a really good vibe about this whole transaction.

And you know women's intuition...

I can't wait to show it to you guys. (I feel funny about sharing this guy's web page on a forum without his permission, but i will ask him and share SOON!!!)

And I just realized that the one most essential thing that I have to go order online _right now_ is a new digital camera!!

Thanks for your help making this the most awesome day I can remember!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
digital camera

the canon a 40 is quite a nice camera, just got one. had it working in less than 5 min. out of the box.

software that comes with it is good too!

as for the t.v., i made a "seat belt" for mine out of some 3" nylon webbing, a couple of buckles, and a pair of screen door handles. the handles are on the wall behind the t.v. and the webbing passes through them.

never have found it on the floor yet! and i don't have to move it every time i move the trailer.

john
Old 01-08-2003, 10:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
...if I carried half of the stuff that you guys do, I wouldn't make over a hill, let alone a pass !!!
Guess that's why RoadKingMoe has that F250 huh?!

Shari
Old 01-08-2003, 11:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Smile Only joking Moe...

Maurice,

I'm thankful for your detailed knowledge and the valve that you add to this forum!

John
Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Scotch, lots of Scotch.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Great lists, everyone!

There was one mention of the rubberized shelf liner; "Perfect Grip" brand is available at WalMart and Target. We use it everywhere!

Line all cabinet shelves and use small 2" pieces between all dishes, pans, etc. Best invention since the single action cork screw.

Speaking of which, those pastic bins under beds and sofas in the "Vintage" Airstreams are PERFECT for wine bottles. Each one under my bed holds almost 2 cases of wine (with rubberized shelf liner between, of course...)

(By the way, why do the good folks in the WBCCI insist that alcohol containers not be in view? Tough to hold a wine tasting event...)

Good luck and congratulations, Holly!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

PINCH ME!!

Pictures pictures pictures!!!!!

Y'all, I'm about to burst with all this excitement. I've put photos in a gallery, and here's a favorite.

Go see 'em!

I cannot believe how lucky I am to have found this beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm.rightfull.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1210  
Old 01-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations Holly! Thanks for the pix...cool! Looks like you got a nice one there....

Shari