Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Idaho Fly Fishing - September

Hi all,
We're currently in Hood River Oregon, planing to head for Idaho today. Would like to spend a couple of days fishing if we could fiind a good spot.

Any suggestions?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Guy -

I've made a number of trips to Kelly Creek, ID in Sept and Oct to fish for west slope cutthroat trout. It's a long push on a gravel road (50+ miles) on FS 250 out of Pierce, ID. Scenery is terrific and the trout are hungry and stupid. If they are in the air, October Caddis - "Big O's" - patterns in sizes 6 and 8 are productive. Camping is 100% boondocking - there are no nearby amenities, and no nearby towns. If you want to continue going east, you can leave Kelly Creek and continue over Hoodoo Pass into Superior, MT.

Best fishes!

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Mark,
Thanks that sounds very interesting. Boondocking sounds godd. Is it a good gravel road or a not so good gravel road? We're in a 31 foot motorhome towing a Scion xB. The motorhome has good ground clearance but can drag its tail in steep dips. The Scion has a pretty stiff suspension but not much clearance

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Guy -

The road is "good" with some washboard areas, but you can maintain a decent speed. Potholes and abrupt changes in slope were not a significant problem in yearspast (but I haven't been there in several years). There is a Ranger Station that you might be able to phone ("Kelly Forks" I believe) for info. The main drawback to the road is that it is VERY dusty and your Scion will wear a thick blanket, as will the MoHo. I towed my '72 Overlander in there with no problem, but spent a day cleaning dust off everything - it was not well sealed up from dust intrusion.

Mark
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Bummer, my wife has asthma and 50 miles of dust is not a great idea. A few years back we (foolishly) went to a FMCA rally where they had us parked in a vey dusty wheat field. She ended up with Pneumonia.

Sounds like you know the area. Any other suggestions?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Sorry, but the only other places I've fished for trout in ID (the Selway and St. Joe rivers) both involve a good stretch of gravel road for access. The Clearwater out of Orofino is all paved access, but it's big water - two handed rods for steelhead - and I think little if anything is going on there this early - a month from now would be prime time. There are fly shops in Lewiston and in Orofino that might be able to give you some help.
Good luck!

Mark
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
OK, surely someone besides Mark has fished in Idaho. I'm not looking for secret spots, just somewhere a tourist would have a good time.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Okay, I'll jump in. We are not dedicated fly fishermen, but we do enjoy beautiful streams, a trusty fly rod and reel, and the hopes of landing a real one. We have stayed in the Stanley, Idaho, area and enjoyed it so much we want to return. We stayed in a beautiful forest service park on Stanley Lake, snow covered peaks of the Sawtooth Range towering over the lake sites. Try for # 4! Now, that was our secret! We fished the Salmon and small tributary streams, always caught fish. The community is small but friendly. Surrounding beautiful country, ghostmining towns, hot springs, very relaxed and quiet compared to the crowds about 40 mi South! Check for fire reports. Enjoy ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Head up the Clearwater River, there are several spots good for Fly fishing it is big water though. Another spot is up through Idaho Falls into West Yellostone, there are plenty of places up that way, just pull over. Mack's Inn has nice fishing within 10 miles.
Guy, check out the thread for the 3rd annual Beverly Beach Bash bigger than the last one you attended.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Gary,
We would defintely plan to be at Beverly Beach but we're on our way to New Brunswick, don't expect to be back until late October. Hopefully we'll be around next year (if the event is held).

Thanks for the fishing pointer.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Okay, I'll jump in. We are not dedicated fly fishermen, but we do enjoy beautiful streams, a trusty fly rod and reel, and the hopes of landing a real one. We have stayed in the Stanley, Idaho, area and enjoyed it so much we want to return. We stayed in a beautiful forest service park on Stanley Lake, snow covered peaks of the Sawtooth Range towering over the lake sites. Try for # 4! Now, that was our secret! We fished the Salmon and small tributary streams, always caught fish. The community is small but friendly. Surrounding beautiful country, ghostmining towns, hot springs, very relaxed and quiet compared to the crowds about 40 mi South! Check for fire reports. Enjoy ~G
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check on the fire situation.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
I recently saw a post from a guy with a screen name of "Troutstream" discussing free parking at WalMart. His thread discussed use of WalMart Vancouver, BC parking... he might be a good area resource... Might want to private message him. I love fly fishing, but live in MN and have not had the pleasure of Idaho fishing. Closest I've been is Yellowstone. The suggestion of hitting the fly shops makes a lot of sense. I always stop in, to see what seems to be working if nothing else. Just a thought... Have fun!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
World famous Silver Creek

We just arrived home from Canada so hope I am not to late to let you know
you can't find better fishing than the Big Wood out of Ketchum, Sun Valley
and Silver Creek. My son is a fishing guide at Sturdevents in Ketchum and can
tell you where the "hogs" are. We have many nice camp grounds just a couple
miles from town or lots of gorgeous sites to boondock. Our ski Mt. has a little
snow on top this AM but its suppose to clear our of here by later in the week.
You will love, love this area its so beautiful. Happy Trails and if I can help with information give a call 208-726-4701 John & Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Your trip is probably already over but there aren't many rivers, streams or lakes that you won't catch fish in Idaho. The Salmon river is one of the best places to fish in the country. Send us a report, or better yet, some fish!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check on the fire situation.
Use this site to check on fire info in the area. Scroll down to Idaho or where-ever you want to wind up. It's usually up-to-date withing the last 24 hours, but will not have any brand new fire info. It focuses on large fires.
http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #16

1968 22' Safari
Richland , Washington
want to flyfish ID??

Guy,

One place that you should hit for sure is the North Fork of the Coeur d' Alene. Easy access with camping near the head waters. I have only been as far as the Devils Creek junction, but it is great fishing in the fall for western slope cuts ...Most of the river can be waded durning the fall, you could also float if you had wanted to.
I hope I didnt see this post too late for you to experience this fishery.

Bill
68safariBill is offline   Reply With Quote