Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Idaho Falls to Teton Nat Park

I'm leaving Saturday from Portland, OR and off to the Teton National Park. I'm looking for driving advice regarding the last leg of the trip. Once in Idaho Falls, ID. I can head south on 26, cross into WY and go north on 191 to Jackson. How about ID 33 north to 31 crossing the pass to 22 in WY to Jackson. The latter route looks more scenic, higher elevation, and perhaps a gamble with a 29' trailer. Have you any advice on route selection for this piece of the trip?
Thank in advance!
Mark

Old 06-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Mark,

I did a very similar trip as I was headed to Dubois, WY via Grand Teton NP. I was pulling a 25' Safari. Hwy 31 was out of the question for me. It is a really windy mountain road with trailer restrictions.

I took Hwy 26 by Palasades Resvoir. Very beautiful. Nice campground at base of dam but I stayed the night at a RV park at the jct of Hwy 89 for the hot showers, then into Grand Tetons. Hwy 89 is enough of a mountain hwy with a trailer, I wouldn't recommend Hwy 31.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Mark -

As Big Dee said, Hwy 26 to 191 is the way to go. You wouldn't want to take your trailer over the mountain on Hwy 33.

There has been some pretty wicked road construction south of Jackson the past couple years though, that I'd want to verify before going (if it is still as bad as it was, I'd even consider going up to West Yellowstone, enter the park, and then south to Jackson -- although getting through the park's construction can be a nightmare itself sometimes.)

I don't know how the runoff is doing on the SF of the Snake just now and this may be too early in the season, but as you probably know there's some awfully good fishing all along that route, particularly below the Palasades Resvoir.

My wife and I will be leaving in 2 weeks for our annual summer trip to that part of the US. After a stop in Jackson Center to address a long list of quality issues with my new 30' Classic, we're off to MT, ID, WY, BC, and perhaps beyond, staying until sometime this coming fall (when I hope to tangle with some trout as big as your leg in a remote part of MT).

John
Old 06-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Flyfisher, I think you are having our dream trip! We look forward to the day we can take such an extended trip as you describe here--in our favorite places also! For now, we are anticipating some great times out there in some still-undecided place on our upcoming 3 week trip. Happy camping Mark, the drive from Palisades Res up the Snake Canyon toward the Park is incredibly beautiful. We spent a good part of a morning dipping into each of the many FS campgrounds along the drive oo'ing and ah'ing about all the gorgeous sites. We may go back and camp along there sometime. It's entertaining to watch the rafters and drift boats sailing by in the current. Enjoy your trip!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I can't think of Teton Pass without memories of the time I bicycled up there from Jackson. It was a long, long, climb up there, but I expected that. The problem came when I turned around to see the earth dropping away in front of my handlebars. It was misty/drizzly as well, so the brakes barely worked.

On one section where the grade was particularly steep, terminating in a sharp hairpin turn (on the edge of what appeared to be interstellar space), I actually got off and WALKED down!

Mark
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
There has been some pretty wicked road construction south of Jackson the past couple years though, that I'd want to verify before going (if it is still as bad as it was, I'd even consider going up to West Yellowstone, enter the park, and then south to Jackson -- although getting through the park's construction can be a nightmare itself sometimes.)
This was totally true when I drove Hwy 89/191 The road was in terrible condition but that was a few years ago. It was not even paved for many miles. Worst road construction I've ever driven through. Very worried about rock dings. I didn't mention it because I thought it would be finished by now. I would call ahead to check.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
THANK YOU to all who replied to my question!! I threw it out thinking that MAYBE someone would know something about this stretch of highway, and maybe I'd get a reply. The advice is terrific, and much appreciated. The route choice is clear - I'll stay off Hwy 31/33. I had visions of a once in a lifetime photo from the pass summit of the airstream resting in the forground with Tetons looming in the nearby background.

Sounds like a white knuckle experience to obtain that photo!! I'll call AAA tomorrow and check the status of road repairs on 89/191. Hopefully it's a done deal, but if necessary I can come in from the north through Yellowstone.

Again, many thanks from myself and my wife (who also enjoyed reading the posts).

For Flyfishr: this being a one-week trip with my wife, I am reluctantly leaving fly rods in the closet to avoid temptation. I'm sure I'll be back with all weaponry someday.

Mark
Old 06-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mark, one of the marvelous qualities of the Tetons is that they "loom" all over the place once you are in the park. You'll be able to get fantastic photo shots of your AS with the closeup mountain backdrop from many different perspectives. The problem will be to pick your favorite to post here when it is all over! So, relax, enjoy the safer route, and know that great photo opps are just ahead.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Maxandgeorgia -

I look forward to the photo ops - Ansel Adams and many others have blazed this trail before me, but not with the Airstream in the forground! I'm hoping to replace my avatar with one bagged on this trip.

AAA says only one mile of road is being resurfaced south of Jackson - sounds much better than the situation encountered a few years ago.

We've packed up tonight and have only to suffer one more day at work before departing 0600 Saturday. Thanks again for all the help!

Mark