Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'd like several garages all over the country

I'd like to keep my Airstream in garages say Montana, east coast near Boston, maybe in the southwest. Just fly to it and travel, then fly home. Seems like there would be a huge demand.

The garage space would have full hookups, and I need to be able to Uber to the garage from the airport.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So, invest in the property, build those garages. They will come. A self driving car for each gets you from the airport to the storage.

Or you could hire a driver to deliver the rig where you want to travel.

Or you could just buy an airplane big enough to carry the rig. No Uber needed.

You have options. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Few years back, we met a family that travelled in their RV each summer. At the end of the summer, they'd leave the RV in storage at the location where their trip left off. Then, the next summer, they'd fly to that location and start their trip from there. Pretty clever!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Few years back, we met a family that travelled in their RV each summer. At the end of the summer, they'd leave the RV in storage at the location where their trip left off. Then, the next summer, they'd fly to that location and start their trip from there. Pretty clever!
Except that means they only use it three months out of the year. Such a waste.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I'd like to keep my Airstream in garages say Montana, east coast near Boston, maybe in the southwest. Just fly to it and travel, then fly home. Seems like there would be a huge demand.

The garage space would have full hookups, and I need to be able to Uber to the garage from the airport.
So you'd only use it to vacation in? Class B or Trailer? And leave the truck there? Fly?

I travel by truck and trailer so I don't have to fly. See like no demand.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post

I travel by truck and trailer so I don't have to fly. See like no demand.
I travel by truck and trailer also, but it takes me 3 hard days to cross the country. So that's three over, three back, almost a week of travel.

Right now my trailer is in Mesa , AZ, I will be flying there to travel up the CA coast. I might leave it in MT on the way back, fly back out for hunting in MT, then drive back.

What I am saying is that it would be cool to have/share garages with other like minded travelers, garages that have full hookups. You could move your trailer around the country and swap/share spaces.

I think there would be huge demand. Right now just try find a garage spot. They are all taken, then if you find one, you typically have a 12 month lease.

If I were retired, I might think otherwise, but I don't have the time to drive for days and days.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Sorry for your troubles . . . there are probably many people on Earth who would like to trade places with you.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Sorry for your troubles . . . there are probably many people on Earth who would like to trade places with you.

Why would you imply that I have troubles? I was trying to start conversion about a cool concept and to be frank, I am surprised at the negativity here.

Not sure where you are seeing in my typing I do not feel blessed to take my family across the US in an Airstream, I did not type anything to be judged like that.

I am wasting my time on this forum.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Wow, tough crowd! We live in RI and our retirement dream is to move to VT, build or buy a small house with a place for the AS, travel south from the start of November through the end of December each year, return to VT for the snow season, January-March, and travel again for a couple months during the wet soggy spring season. Your garage plan would work well for a place to leave the trailer down south during the winter Jan-March period.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Sounds like an interesting evolution in the sharing economy. I mean - who would have thought excess capacity in your home would create a company that sells no product and is current worth over $50B?? Or excess capacity in your car (if you’re going my way anyway) would lead to 2 ride share IPOs??

I think there’s something there to explore. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Since you asked, Ted, it just struck me that this is a classic "first-world problem" that's all, in comparison to the lousy news in the world IMO.

Over and out.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
~

What I am saying is that it would be cool to have/share garages with other like minded travelers, garages that have full hookups. You could move your trailer around the country and swap/share spaces.

~
That would be something... but, I'm afraid I might forget where I last left my AS and end up somewhere it wasn't. 😜 I guess I'm just at that age where I just want to get in the truck and go... wherever... 🤷🏽*♀️ But, I guess that's just me. 🙂 Good luck 🤞🏼 with your plan.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Actually, folks, all he is talking about is the classic time share operation. We constantly warn our clients against the purchase of time shares unless they are truly using them. I could see where he could put together, say, a 6 bay facility and share the costs with other owners. A calendar system tracks who needs a bay on what dates. That's how timeshares work.

I'm not advising this, but, many many people are doing this already with simply the right to stay in a room/condo.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I understand your desire. I just don't see the demand. I'm seeing covered parking showing up in certain places, but all over for temp parking storage, with full hook up no.

I have history of travel for work. So I can pass on some places. Somebody said it takes three hard days to cross the country........sure been there done that. No thanks.

Inside storage no, but you could rent a site monthly with hook ups. Many come, store and return in Florida. Some areas have covered storage. Some northern areas talk here about inside storage during winter. So the storage areas exist.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Since you asked, Ted, it just struck me that this is a classic "first-world problem" that's all, in comparison to the lousy news in the world IMO.

Over and out.
This entire forum and ownership of an Airstream is a "first-world-problem" which should be obvious to everyone. I am sure we all worked hard for the toys we have and the life we lead and I, for one, am not apologetic for it.

I have been thinking about preposition of my boat in storage units (if I can find short term rentals) near my favorite fishing areas so I can camp with my AS and have my own boat for fishing!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Except that means they only use it three months out of the year. Such a waste.
They had a couple of young kids, so I'm guessing they travelled when the kids were out of school. And hey, you can't knock it. Three months of traveling each summer adds up to a lot more time traveling than most people get to do with their RV's. And their plan allowed them to go further away each time, without always starting at ground zero and covering the same ground.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Why would you imply that I have troubles? I was trying to start conversion about a cool concept and to be frank, I am surprised at the negativity here.

Not sure where you are seeing in my typing I do not feel blessed to take my family across the US in an Airstream, I did not type anything to be judged like that.

I am wasting my time on this forum.

You are not wasting your time...

What you are describing is very similar to other shared resource for profit business models, but instead of ride share or vacation homes, you want to build a network of available and variable term RV storage units. I like it.

In a recent Forbes article it was reported that "77 million U.S. households have someone who camps at least occasionally" and "In 2017 alone, there has been an increase of 2.6 million camper households". Those kind of numbers represent a strong market for RV related products and services. First-World inconveniences almost always translate into business opportunity for entrepreneurs with vision.

This forum represents a narrow (niche) RV market sample, comprised mostly of retirees on the higher end of the disposable income chart, time to travel and little motivation to launch a new business venture. So don't take it personal if your ideas posted on airforums isn't well received or understood. Think of it as a control group sounding board.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
I also think the garage idea is great and have wondered why no one has not run with the idea as well. New business.
no roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I've sketched out ideas for designing something very similar only instead of storage, the AS would back into a structure that extended the trailer into a vacation spot. You would treat the trailer as a bedroom and the heated structure would have a large open living area and a bathroom. Located in similar locales across the country on undesirable building lots when in semi-urban spots and on open spaces when more rural. Figured the cost of the land would be very reasonable and the structure would be Tiny House in concept.

The math simply doesn't work as a for-profit because you need serious scale but it does work as a Country Club model of membership based cost sharing. Major difference would be that it would need to include a labor sharing mindset as well. Your idea has legs in that people need it but financial viability on a standard business model is what has probably held something like this from being done on a wide scale.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
There are parks where the lots and common areas are owned by individuals. They have HOA similar to condominiums. Not like the dreaded and infamous "Time Share" properties where you only "own" a time slot. Typically you and/or friends can stay on your space for a maximum of 6-8 months, and the spots are leased out when you are not there. Some also allow addition structures usually with strict design requirements. We found $100k to $250k and monthly fees of $250 to $500. Tiger Run in Breckenridge is an example but there are others. Not for everyone, but perfect setup for some. ...….I know this is not exactly what you were describing but I think does fall into the same general category as far as choosing a location for your RV that is more central or closer to where you want to travel and camp.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote