Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hi
Thanks to everyone for your replies. We came down I5 and had a good trip. It was first time for us and we were fascinated by the farming activities. We took CA Streamer's plan and took Hiway46? through Wasco to and over to 99 north of Bakersfield. Again thanks to all for posting ideas.
In reply to Gene we did not go to Death Valley. I developed tooth issues so we came straight to Phoenix to be near a Dentist. The tooth is under control.
We are camped in White Tank Regioal CG looking out on the lights of Phoenix. I would recommend this CG. $30 an night and water and electricity to our site.
When we head back north in a couple weeks we may do Death Valley then.
If the mild weather holds I may investigat going up the East side of the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, Susanville CA and to I5 north of Redding. We will see. Home is Western Wa
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
We are doing the same trip leaving Bellingham WA February 24. Plan to take in Death Valley on the way down to Phoenix. Will be in AZ for March and hope to do some of the Utah parks on the way home. My son teaches at Mesa Valley CC and my wife's two sisters snowbird in Surprise so we will do some visiting. Looking forward to it! Rick
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Riverdrifter in March there are several local Airstream get togethers if you feel like a visit.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Would be fun! This is our maiden voyage in our AS! Are the get togethers in AZ?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes, one on the west side of Phoenix and the other in Cave Creek on the north side. They are on the rally page on March calendar

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Anyone who lives or drives an AS in California needs to go to Home Depot to purchase an Arrow Pop-rivet gun and rivets. Seems like every trip I took, the bumpy roads accounted for a few rivets from the ceiling and walls ending up on the floor.
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
River', if you are taking a long trip at the end of this month, try to fit in 1 or 2 short ones beforehand so you can test everything and how it tows. Better to have problems when close to home than in Podunk.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Thanks Gene-We actually bought the trailer in Sacramento CA and towed it back to Ferndale WA. I have also towed the trailer down to Seattle (120miles) and back twice for service work. The trailer tows like a dream. I just put on new tires and I have tried every system several times, so hopefully we won't run into any trouble! We just haven't spent the night in it! Right now we are getting it all outfitted with towels, cookware, tools etc. This has been facilitated as we have a 10' slide in truck camper we have used for 15 years, so we have a pretty good idea of what we need to cook, sleep, etc! Rick
Old 02-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That's great Rick. I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come. The 30" will feel like a mansion after a truck camper. We tried a truck camper many years ago and it was so cramped I had trouble crossing my legs to tie my shoes. It went back to the dealer.

We found the bed in our trailer to be uncomfortable. We were not alone (in finding the bed uncomfortable, not in the bed itself).

We bought a foam topper and that made the bed much better to sleep in. Try out the bed (take a nap or whatever) and see if you want to get a topper before you leave. Natural latex ones are better for you (chemicals), but cost a lot more.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
One of the first things I did after getting the trailer and trying out the bed was head down to Costco and buy a 3" memory foam topper. Based on advise from this forum I also bought an electric carving knife to trim the topper to fit. That worked great and I now use the knife for carving turkeys and roasts so it was a double bonus! A couple years ago my wife said no more 2 week trips in the camper! The nice thing about a camper is that I can tow my drift boat behind it. We spent many years all over Idaho and Montana fly fishing those great rivers! I now have a two person pontoon boat that deflates and fits under the truck canopy some we can still fish with the AS. I still have the camper for guys trips to hunt and fish!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaler113 View Post
Hi
If the mild weather holds I may investigat going up the East side of the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, Susanville CA and to I5 north of Redding. We will see. Home is Western Wa
It's a beautiful drive up 395 with the snow covered mountains. Well worth the drive. Check 395 highway conditions for snow, and observe the speed limit in the small towns. If you like to snow ski, Mammoth Mountain is worth a stop. 395 is clear all the way... today.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I've done 395 from Bend to Reno, but not beyond that-I will check it out! Rick