Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I17 in AZ going N towards Sedona

We are close to going N from Wickenburg on I17 in AZ. Traveling to Cottonwood off Thousand Trails Road.

Any advice on the interstate that drops into the valley? Sounds scary!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I 17 goes north from Phoenix but not Wickenburg. Are you figuring it out. I 17 climbs several plateaus but nothing scary. If you come south into Phoenix its windy and downhill but the speed limit comes down a bit and there ate enough lanes for the fast folks to pass.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just came down from Grand Canyon (Flagstaff) to Phoenix yesterday. As said, windy and a large drop with lots of fast traffic, but very good road conditions, two lanes each way, and the grades are not bad. Keep to the right at your reasonable speed and let them fly by, you'll have company doing the same thing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
If it was me, I would not use the I-17 at all! I would take AZ 89 to Prescott (great downtown square) then to Cottonwood. Highway 89 might be the most scenic highway in America. It continues to Sedona (a must stop) then up cottonwood canyon to Flagstaff and north to the Grand Canyon... And if you still head north on 89 you will finally end up in Glacier National Park!!! No other highway goes through as many National Parks as 89.

I would also add Cottonwood the town is not much compared to all the surrounding towns in the area... Sedona, is much nicer with lots to see and do.

Another side trip to consider in the area is the old mining town of Jerome, the road over the mountain from Prescott to Cottonwood is very cool, Not for the faint of heart and might not want to tow your trailer over...

Best camping in the Area is north of Sedona in USFS camp grounds there are several to choose from. There is also a great camp ground right in the heart of Sedona that you can walk right into town and is a few steps from the best mountain bike trail/hiking trail in all of the area.

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Arizona 89A is indeed beautiful, Sedona an upscale tourist trap situated in a beautiful countryside. I would be concerned about 89A heading north of Sedona pulling a larger Airstream due to a particular section of steep ascents with many severe, narrow blind hairpin curves. Anyone who has towed through this have an opinion on it?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Arizona 89A is indeed beautiful, Sedona an upscale tourist trap situated in a beautiful countryside. I would be concerned about 89A heading north of Sedona pulling a larger Airstream due to a particular section of steep ascents with many severe, narrow blind hairpin curves. Anyone who has towed through this have an opinion on it?
That's a piece of cake. Try 191 going north from Morenci, Arizona if you want some white knuckle towing! It is a beautiful scenic drive though.
Jim Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe a piece of cake. Looks like you are pulling the trailer close to rock wall on the inside turns meeting another vehicle, or putting a squeeze on him on the outside turns, and there are quite a few vehicles on this road. A piece of cake without the Airstream yes, but I'm not sure I'd try it with our unblemished FC 25.

I think the restriction is 50' total length.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Anders View Post
That's a piece of cake. Try 191 going north from Morenci, Arizona if you want some white knuckle towing! It is a beautiful scenic drive though.
Not for the driver! Nothing is very scenic if you don't dare look away from the road; it all looks like pavement.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We will head out of Wickenburg and catch I17 going N toward Grand Canyon and want to stop an boondock off 260 on FS 147A ..not doing 89A towing.

Guess as long as we drive slow we will get thru the Camp Verde area on I17.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Badkat not sure how far along you are in your travels but the I-17 north from phoenix will serve you well as far as good roads. There are climbs but gradual. When you head east from Wickenburg towards the north west valley take the bypass, 74 to I-17 or at least the 303 so you don't have to come as far as sun city to the 101. As you approach Flagstaff watch your exits/merge signs for I - 40 to Los Angeles. Safe travels

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks.. just a few more days here then off we go to Cottonwood.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Thanks.. just a few more days here then off we go to Cottonwood.
I'm not sure which roads you are considering for this trip, but if your plan is to go through Jerome, I would reconsider. Jerome is a wonderful place to visit, but it is not a place that I would drive through with a trailer in tow.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Take it from someone who lived in the area for several years, avoid 89 north of Sedona. Narrow lanes, almost textbook hairpin curves, grades, no fun. I 17 is a great road, can be windy at times. On 89 you will find yourself swinging way over into oncoming lane to make some of the curves, and maybe going 20 mph in the best sections. Visit Sedona, but leave south on 89 back to I 17. We even got stuck behind a small mud / rock slide once for six hours while workers cleared the road on the 89 just north of Sedona. The road winds around mountains and was cut into the sides with no regard to rv'ers
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
The issue with I-17 is the semi's climbing the grades at 30mph passing another one going 20mph. There is also some construction at about mile 280 in a pass just south of Camp Verde where they regularly close one side of traffic to blast. That ususally happens at night. Getting through Camp Verde area is not a problem. Once you get to Flagstaff I-17 ends had you have two choices to get to the Grand Canyon (if that is where you are ultimately headed), 180 or 89. Either are fine for towing, most people take one road up and the other back. I would stay off of 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff, the textbook hairpin curves jackcat refers to are known to the locals as the "switchbacks". If they haven't started already AZDOT is planning to start a project soon on 89A at the switchbacks and will have one lane closed. For a place to camp you might consider Dead Horse Ranch State Park near Cottonwood or Clear Creek Campground in Coconino NF. Clear Creek is off 260 a few miles east of I-17. I have not stayed there but Arizona Highways has Clear Creek in its top 40 campgrounds.
RT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I live in Sedona.

If you want to visit Sedona, it's hardly worthwhile just driving through, since the point of coming here is to explore the scenery, do a little hiking, walk around uptown and look at the galleries and new age shops. It gets pretty crowded too, so the idea of pulling a long trailer from the city up the canyon towards Flagstaff is not such a good idea: you cannot stop on the road, and there's a severe switchback at the top of the canyon.
If you chose to stay in Sedona, the best RV park by far is Rancho Sedona - but its quite expensive. You can walk from there to uptown and many of the tourist spots. There's also an Elks Lodge with electric hookup only, but no dump facilities. A free dump is available at the Giant in Cottonwood.

From Sedona you can get back onto the I-17 via the 179; this takes you through the Village of Oak Creek and is also a pretty road. You don't need to go back through Cottonwood.

Driving up and down the I-17 is easy as long as you're mindful of the very slow trucks where the road crosses a couple of mountain ranges. They are building truck lanes, but until they are open - BE CAREFUL since some drivers don't spot them until its too late.

I hope that helps....Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We are close to going N from Wickenburg on I17 in AZ. Traveling to Cottonwood off Thousand Trails Road.

Any advice on the interstate that drops into the valley? Sounds scary!
Since you mention Thousand Trails, I realize you are planning on staying at the RV park just off the 260 going from Camp Verde towards Cottonwood.
When driving north on the I-17 towards Camp Verde, there is a downhill grade as it approaches Verde Valley, but its hardly scary unless you allow your speed to build up too much. Pulling a trailer I wouldn't go above 50-55 and make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted properly (i.e. to come on just before the tow car brakes to avoid a jackknife).

My opinion on Thousand Trails is its OK, but nowhere near as pretty as Ranch Sedona.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not for the driver! Nothing is very scenic if you don't dare look away from the road; it all looks like pavement.

I admit it is a road you either love or hate, I have had some relatives that took it and said they would NEVER drive it again. I have driven it off and on since I first got my license so it is no biggie anymore. I taken cars, trailers and motorhomes up it and enjoy every trip. But I would not recommend someone to take the "trail" for the first time towing anything but a short towable.
Jim Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Staying off 89A for sure. Worried about I17 around Camp Verde but just going to take it slow. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would not be concerned about I-17. It's a nice ride, enjoy the view...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Been very windy and cold around the I40 corridor past couple of days