Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I live in Sedona.

If you want to visit Sedona, it's hardly worthwhile just driving through, since the point of coming here is to explore the scenery, do a little hiking, walk around uptown and look at the galleries and new age shops. It gets pretty crowded too, so the idea of pulling a long trailer from the city up the canyon towards Flagstaff is not such a good idea: you cannot stop on the road, and there's a severe switchback at the top of the canyon.
If you chose to stay in Sedona, the best RV park by far is Rancho Sedona - but its quite expensive. You can walk from there to uptown and many of the tourist spots. There's also an Elks Lodge with electric hookup only, but no dump facilities. A free dump is available at the Giant in Cottonwood.

From Sedona you can get back onto the I-17 via the 179; this takes you through the Village of Oak Creek and is also a pretty road. You don't need to go back through Cottonwood.

Driving up and down the I-17 is easy as long as you're mindful of the very slow trucks where the road crosses a couple of mountain ranges. They are building truck lanes, but until they are open - BE CAREFUL since some drivers don't spot them until its too late.

I hope that helps....Peter

Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We are close to going N from Wickenburg on I17 in AZ. Traveling to Cottonwood off Thousand Trails Road.

Any advice on the interstate that drops into the valley? Sounds scary!
Since you mention Thousand Trails, I realize you are planning on staying at the RV park just off the 260 going from Camp Verde towards Cottonwood.
When driving north on the I-17 towards Camp Verde, there is a downhill grade as it approaches Verde Valley, but its hardly scary unless you allow your speed to build up too much. Pulling a trailer I wouldn't go above 50-55 and make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted properly (i.e. to come on just before the tow car brakes to avoid a jackknife).

My opinion on Thousand Trails is its OK, but nowhere near as pretty as Ranch Sedona.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not for the driver! Nothing is very scenic if you don't dare look away from the road; it all looks like pavement.

I admit it is a road you either love or hate, I have had some relatives that took it and said they would NEVER drive it again. I have driven it off and on since I first got my license so it is no biggie anymore. I taken cars, trailers and motorhomes up it and enjoy every trip. But I would not recommend someone to take the "trail" for the first time towing anything but a short towable.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Staying off 89A for sure. Worried about I17 around Camp Verde but just going to take it slow. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I would not be concerned about I-17. It's a nice ride, enjoy the view...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Been very windy and cold around the I40 corridor past couple of days
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We are here..made it down I17 to our next boondocking site near Cottonwood. The view is fabulous!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We are here..made it down I17 to our next boondocking site near Cottonwood. The view is fabulous!
Congratulations, badkat. Lots of boondocking opportunities in Coconino National Forest, including between Cottonwood and Sedona.
Enjoy your stay!