Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good point Michelle

Item 2 may just be the solution to the problem.

I think Tom may have hit on something. Now he just needs to figure out how to feed that to the carburetor or injectors. Would this be regular, premium or, in some cases, diesel? eeeeuuuwwww.

Barry
Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
One of the joys of having a trailer and a tow vehicle paid for is NO MONTHLY PAYMENTS!

I am vintage all the way. 1994 F250 Ford with only 85000 miles on it. 1973 25ft. Airstream.

When I do retire - Lord Willing, I mean to retire from everything except traveling in my Airstream.
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
mtjim, Hope all is well with you in Missouri,

Just saw the news of a river in Missouri about to flood its banks.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..... its about learning to dance in the rain
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gas prices are a concern, though we've paid a lot more than $4.00 in our frequent travels to Canada. I think the subject has been pretty well stated on both sides already. We've got the Airstream, we don't fly (why get treated like cattle and have to pay for it), and we're tired of motels and restaurants. But for us, income is related to the stock market. It goes up and we make a lot more money than when it goes down. Three years ago we made three times more money than last year—capital gains were the reason.

The financial people in Washington have done a terrible job—did not regulate where necessary and let the mortgage market collapse, and the credit markets are failing. Greed and 19th century laissez faire economics have been proven to fail over and over—for ex., 1929 market crash and many Panics in the 1800's. Running massive federal debt and reducing taxes, that's just crazy. The Laffer Curve doesn't work even though the administration has convinced itself it does. President HooverBush is clueless; Bernanke is in a panic. So, while we will travel somewhat, it won't be as far. When we get our bribe from the government of $600 or whatever it will be in May, I will pay off a little bit on the trailer, not go to the store with it and spend it on imported junk.

Sorry for the tirade. It didn't have to be this way and that angers me. Anyone who has studied history and how the markets actually function should know this. This isn't going to be as bad as the Depression, but it will probably be the worst recession in a long time, partly because cheapening the dollar so much (massive deficits, printing money like a banana republic) is bringing us inflation—thus rapid gas price increases.

Actually we follow a lot of things on that list of how to cut back a number of posts ago. We look for other ways to cut back and driving will be one of them (can't do it here—everything is far away). The trip to the N. Cal. and Oregon coasts may not happen this fall, but Colorado has a lot of nice state parks will full hookups cheap and lots of federal land even cheaper for boondocking.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

If gas prices stay high we will just stay longer at campsites instead of traveling so much.
geirws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Same here. No more zigzagging back and forth and will try to travel slower if time permits to take in much more along the way and if we can stay put longer we'll get more "mileage" from our gas usage in more Airstream days out.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
North Carolina to Bozeman Mt. and home via Yellowstone 5000 miles not counting side trips. 12.5 mpg = 400 gallons diesel at $4.00 per gal = $1600 just for fuel. Yes I will make the trip I really want my 13 yo granddaughter to see this part of the country and I want to see it with her. If I can get there and back for less that $4,000 I will be pleasently surprised. It will have an effect on some of the other things I do this year.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We spent a week in Yellowstone a couple of years ago (BA = before Airstream) and could have been there longer. We'd been there before too. Well worth whatever time you can spend there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Florida to Bozeman via the Great River Road out and Michigan on the way back. We'll be traveling at 55 on the blue highways to see the country and get the best gas mileage. If the weather isn't too hot we'll probably do some dry camping or courtesy parking if available. I've budgeted $3,000 for the trip (gas, camping, admissions).

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Randy hope to see you and Pat in Bozeman, be sure to get tickets for the Region 3 luncheon. Looks like you have 2500 miles one way, pretty much the same drive for me leaving from North Carolina. It would be interesting to keep a daily expense chart to see just what the actual cost are involved in this trip. You have an advantage over me in that I am taking my 13 yo granddaughter and I will be doing some extensive sight seeing while in Montanta and South Dakota. Would love to know how close you came to budget and the areas that gave you additional savings as well as your cost over runs.
Rick Bell
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Rick,

Let's keep in touch and try to meet in Bozeman. I will be keeping a daily log, so we can compare notes. I don't have a youngster in tow so my results will be different.

We'll be at the Region 3 Rally. Will you be there?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote