Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am planning a trip to National parks?

The Ken Burns special on National Parks has me thinking about making a trip west.

The last time I was at the big National Parks out west was back in the early 70's when best friend and I went out west for a month to camp and fish. I would like to do it again with my wife. We will leave Atlanta and head to Southern Illinois for our first stop. We will leave the Cape Girardeu area and head west.

I will be pulling my 27' Overlander with my 4.7L Ram Dodge for the trip. I want to visit some nice sites, but I am not sure how well my Ram 1500 would do in the mountains. I will work on keeping my weight down.

Any suggestions on a nice park to visit and how to set up a plan? Something majestic and memorable. I don't want to go all the way to California. If you have any memorable trips for a beginner airstreamer please reply. I only have used my airstream for my property or the local state parks.

Brian
Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Brain,
I think you have a great idea. We will need more information to really help out. First, how long are you planning on being on the road and when? That makes a HUGE impact on where you might want to go.
What year is the Dodge, my F150 wasn’t up to the task in the west, but then again it was a 91 with a 302 under the hood. I understand the newer ½ tons are just about a whole new species.
While we wait for the details, I am going to suggest seeing FEWER places in greater depth. Additionally, if you pay attention to national forests, BLM lands, and so forth, the quality of your trip will be better. Finally, once you know where you are headed, find out the natural and political histories and read up before you go. Know the geology before you go and you won’t just be looking at pretty rocks, you will be traveling through time.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I am also a new owner of an Airstream (love it!!). My wife and I, just before buying our Airstream, made the trip from CT to CA with our Suburban. Couple of highlights are Grand Canyon, for sure, Monument National Park in Utah, WOW. Also driving over the Rockies is a must! I don't know your age but if you are a senior (62 or older) you can get a lifetime free pass to all National Parks and it affords you discounts on things in addition to free admission for you and the occupants of your car etc. FOREVER!!. I definitely took advantage of it. Take you time don't rush, we have a wonderful country to see, you take advantage. If you wish to contact me give me a PM.
Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am thinking two weeks (14 days ). I don't want to go fast and try to see everything. I just want peace and quiet and a beautiful view. If I was to do it I would want to go in the month of June. I was looking at yellow stone and I calculated in my head one day to Southern Illinois and spend the night. Then I would try to make it to Omaha the next day. and camp maybe two nights and then try to make it to Yellow Stone. I have no idea how tired I will get and where I would camp on the way. I know I could do the overnight at a Walmart or a truck stop if I get to tired to drive.

I guess I will just have to get out and do it to find out how it will work best for me. My wife will not pull the trailer so It would be me doing all the driving.

Brian
Old 11-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I am thinking two weeks (14 days ). I don't want to go fast and try to see everything. ...If I was to do it I would want to go in the month of June. I was looking at yellow stone ...
Brian
Brian,
We did a similar trip from here in Mississippi in 2008

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...8-a-41824.html

We were gone for 17 days I think and we drove ALOT!
For 2010 we are working up another trip and focusing on the Tetons. One other item, early June still has winter (for us southern folks) weather with snow, sleet and cold temps so plan to stay warm.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Are you in luck.

Check out my Generals Gone AWOL threads from when I lived in Carbondale IL. I would recommend overnights in the Rapid City area, and definitely some time in the Big Horns. June is nice at Jellystone, stay away from the big in park campgrounds run by the vendors instead stay in the park run campgrounds. Do remember that they have a no generator rule in those campgrounds. Don't miss the Grand Tetons NP. There is also a bunch of good stuff south of Jackson in the Pinedale area.

Here is a start http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...wol-34450.html

Maybe more than you want to read, but its a start on thinking about the general trip you have in mind

Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Disaray:

You did some traveling. you put some miles on your rig. All the places see pretty cool. You visited Custers last stand when we were in a horrible drought. It must have been really hot. I really liked the weathered mountains you took pictures of.

Did you live in Carbondale? I graduated from SIU.

Brian
Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Can you take longer than two weeks?

Long hours of towing a trailer can be very draining, even dangerous.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
I am thinking two weeks (14 days ). [deleted]

Brian
Brian,
You will spend half of your time getting there and back safely. That leaves you time to see maybe two parks in the same general vacinity.

If you can make it a month.. then you can really see some parks!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Disaray:

You did some traveling. you put some miles on your rig. All the places see pretty cool. You visited Custers last stand when we were in a horrible drought. It must have been really hot. I really liked the weathered mountains you took pictures of.

Did you live in Carbondale? I graduated from SIU.

Brian
Yeah, I did put on some miles. That was before I got my new habit of go slow and lingering where possible. Just because there is lots of cool stuff to see doesn't mean you have to see it in one trip. I don't live in Cdale anymore, I got my degrees there.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Slow mode is the way I wan't to do my vacation. I want to see some beautiful land and relax. I think taking your time and exploring is what I want to do. Yellow Stone is nice but I have never visited the Tetons. I do remember checking out the mountains in Idaho years ago. I just need to get to retirement so I can camp for a few months.

I was checking out my possble route using Google Map. I am pretty sure I am going to head west going through Missouri. Interstate 80 looks like the route for me. 1, 585 miles to my destination. I would take my time and take about 3 to four days to get there.

Brian
Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Slow mode is the way ...I have never visited the Tetons.I was checking out my possble route using Google Map. ...Brian
1) A big difference between our South east roads and the ones out there...
The mid west rural 2 lanes are long and straight. We took the state roads all the way back to Mississippi. Nuttin better than stoping on the side of a 2 lane state highway for a sammich and never having a car pass!

Skip the interstate!

2) we are headed back to the Tetons, we enjoyed them MUCH better than Yellowstone...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Hey Brian try to make it to Zion,absolutely beautiful! I agree the Tetons are just amazing. There's a little hamlet called Moose just outside the south gate of the park that has a unreal sunset view up at the Grand. This is the best place to get what they call headlight pictures. The suns rays cut in between the peaks at twilight all the way across the valley.Jackson is a really cool town but will be crowded in June.

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I for one would never travel I-80 unless I absolutely had to. The truck traffic is horrendous. Give me a two lane road anywhere and that's the road I'll take. You just can't see America from the interstate. I do understand the need to use them to make time, but for me the Interstate Raceway is anything but relaxing. Especially out west.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I grew up 1 mile for I 80. Everytime we go to visit family we get on that Highway. You are correct about the traffic. The road seems pretty beat up.

Brian
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
There so many great places to see in this great country of ours. The General recommended stopping in the Rapid City area and I highly recommend the Hart Ranch RV. It is a great 5 Star place to stay. I see that you have already visited the Custer Battlefield. If you haven't already visited Cody, WY this is a great place to visit and many things to see. We are going back to Yellowstone after the rally for the 3rd time. Staying at Bay Bridge inside the park. The Tetons is another great location. We have neve stayed in the Tetons and this year we are going to spend a few days there. The problem is, there are many beautiful to visit and not a lot time to do it.

Being from Georgia there are some great areas in your neck of the woods. Some great Airstream parks.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
If you're heading to Yellowstone, consider driving north a bit further to Glacier National Park. It's breathtaking and there are campgrounds on both the East and West side that accept reservations in advance. It's like no other place on Earth, though I'm a bit biased.
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
The Ken Burns special on National Parks has me thinking about making a trip west.

The last time I was at the big National Parks out west was back in the early 70's when best friend and I went out west for a month to camp and fish. I would like to do it again with my wife. We will leave Atlanta and head to Southern Illinois for our first stop. We will leave the Cape Girardeu area and head west.

I will be pulling my 27' Overlander with my 4.7L Ram Dodge for the trip. I want to visit some nice sites, but I am not sure how well my Ram 1500 would do in the mountains. I will work on keeping my weight down.

Any suggestions on a nice park to visit and how to set up a plan? Something majestic and memorable. I don't want to go all the way to California. If you have any memorable trips for a beginner airstreamer please reply. I only have used my airstream for my property or the local state parks.
Brian,

Welcome, neighbor! We are over in east Cobb.

We just took a two week (16 days) trip from ATL to the four corners UT/CO national parks and back, and I can say it felt like a month - it was so relaxing and beautiful. Since we are close, I'd be happy to share by phone, in person, whatever if you are at all interested. Just send me a pm if so.

Anyway, the short story. Stops out: Jasper, AL; lunch in Memphis; stop in Springfield, MO; stop in Dodge City, KS; boondocked at Great Sand Dunes NP (awesome); camped outside of Mesa Verde NP; stopped by Antelope Canyon; camped outside of Zion NP (campground full - would have stayed in the park); boondocked in Bryce Canyon; boondocked outside of Arches NP on BLM land - most awesome, and then back via a similar but different route.

We never touched an interstate outside of a stretch on 70 (which was actually beautiful), and a little bit getting from Birmingham back to ATL. Took all two lane roads by choice.

Happy to share more if you're interested! I am still sorting through the 1,000 pictures I took.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #19
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
500 miles + per day is truckin hard. For me, 250 or 300 is max and then I like to stop and rest for a day or so.........What's the big deal about National Parks?........yes, seeing the tourists feed the chipmunks and seeing the momma buffalo eyeball the naive folks who stop as a herd to get out and take pics is so wonderful to do in Yellowstone..........If this is Tuesday that must be ol faithful.........Break away from that herd...........

For me, with limited time that you have, SW Colo, New Mexico, 4 corners has LOTS to offer. Mountains, deserts, national monuments.......on and on.........

Anyway, hard 2 days from Atlanta or pretty easy 3 days to get to Santa Fe and then North.........or if you are coming out of Chicago, down to Denver and head South and west........LOTS to see and do and just relax........Good luck.......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote