Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I grew up 1 mile for I 80. Everytime we go to visit family we get on that Highway. You are correct about the traffic. The road seems pretty beat up.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
There so many great places to see in this great country of ours. The General recommended stopping in the Rapid City area and I highly recommend the Hart Ranch RV. It is a great 5 Star place to stay. I see that you have already visited the Custer Battlefield. If you haven't already visited Cody, WY this is a great place to visit and many things to see. We are going back to Yellowstone after the rally for the 3rd time. Staying at Bay Bridge inside the park. The Tetons is another great location. We have neve stayed in the Tetons and this year we are going to spend a few days there. The problem is, there are many beautiful to visit and not a lot time to do it.

Being from Georgia there are some great areas in your neck of the woods. Some great Airstream parks.

gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Columbia Falls , Montana
If you're heading to Yellowstone, consider driving north a bit further to Glacier National Park. It's breathtaking and there are campgrounds on both the East and West side that accept reservations in advance. It's like no other place on Earth, though I'm a bit biased.
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
The Ken Burns special on National Parks has me thinking about making a trip west.

The last time I was at the big National Parks out west was back in the early 70's when best friend and I went out west for a month to camp and fish. I would like to do it again with my wife. We will leave Atlanta and head to Southern Illinois for our first stop. We will leave the Cape Girardeu area and head west.

I will be pulling my 27' Overlander with my 4.7L Ram Dodge for the trip. I want to visit some nice sites, but I am not sure how well my Ram 1500 would do in the mountains. I will work on keeping my weight down.

Any suggestions on a nice park to visit and how to set up a plan? Something majestic and memorable. I don't want to go all the way to California. If you have any memorable trips for a beginner airstreamer please reply. I only have used my airstream for my property or the local state parks.

Welcome, neighbor! We are over in east Cobb.

We just took a two week (16 days) trip from ATL to the four corners UT/CO national parks and back, and I can say it felt like a month - it was so relaxing and beautiful. Since we are close, I'd be happy to share by phone, in person, whatever if you are at all interested. Just send me a pm if so.

Anyway, the short story. Stops out: Jasper, AL; lunch in Memphis; stop in Springfield, MO; stop in Dodge City, KS; boondocked at Great Sand Dunes NP (awesome); camped outside of Mesa Verde NP; stopped by Antelope Canyon; camped outside of Zion NP (campground full - would have stayed in the park); boondocked in Bryce Canyon; boondocked outside of Arches NP on BLM land - most awesome, and then back via a similar but different route.

We never touched an interstate outside of a stretch on 70 (which was actually beautiful), and a little bit getting from Birmingham back to ATL. Took all two lane roads by choice.

Happy to share more if you're interested! I am still sorting through the 1,000 pictures I took.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #19
Refurbished 89 Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
500 miles + per day is truckin hard. For me, 250 or 300 is max and then I like to stop and rest for a day or so.........What's the big deal about National Parks?........yes, seeing the tourists feed the chipmunks and seeing the momma buffalo eyeball the naive folks who stop as a herd to get out and take pics is so wonderful to do in Yellowstone..........If this is Tuesday that must be ol faithful.........Break away from that herd...........

For me, with limited time that you have, SW Colo, New Mexico, 4 corners has LOTS to offer. Mountains, deserts, national monuments.......on and on.........

Anyway, hard 2 days from Atlanta or pretty easy 3 days to get to Santa Fe and then North.........or if you are coming out of Chicago, down to Denver and head South and west........LOTS to see and do and just relax........Good luck.......Dennis

Dennis & Susan
D&D Farms, Sugar Valley, Ga
Registered Boer goats
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote