Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
I-70 in KS

Hi all,

This next week we will be making our trek across Kansas along I-70. We'd like to get off the interstate at times to see some of the towns, enjoy some walks, eat some good food, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for sights to see, places to go, or restaurants to enjoy along this stretch of road? (We love wacky, historical, beautiful or just plain random sights!) I've done some research and picked up a few items of interest that we might check out but I'd love to hear from some other Airstreamers!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Abilene is nice, The greyhound hall of fame is kind of neat, there is the Eisenhower Presidential museum, but maybe the coolest thing in town is the "museum of independent telephony" no kidding, it's kind of a neat little stop. Old Abilene town may or may not be running this time of year, and for a very interesting dining experience, try Kirby house, or the Brookville, and if you are a fan of "slider type burgers, stop in Salina and get Cozy's.. none better, and may be the birthplace of the whole slider burger phenomena..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks! I was just reading about Abilene today!

While I thought we were doing I-70, husband just informed me that we might go out on I-76 into Nebraska and then work our way to Kansas city on non-interstate roads. The route is still undetermined. So...now we welcome any recommendations of places between 76 and 70. Or...more importantly, if anyone has a route suggestion...please let us know.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I don't have a map in front of me, but the northernmost US highway is on the route of the old Pony Express trail. Lots of towns have markers and some have a museum. The southern route (US 50, I think) follows the old Santa Fe Trail. In some places you can still see wagon ruts and there are several sites worth visiting there as well. The roads were great for traveling.

Pat
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Fort Hays is a bit off the beaten path, but it's neat to see the history. Our kids really enjoyed it.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Confused

I am confused as to where I 76 is....I know I 70 but don't know where I 76 is....are you traveling east or west? And from where to where? Perhaps we could be more helpful with a little more information.....I grew up in Missouri east of Kansas City......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
Sorry! I was focused on our exit from Fort Collins, CO via I-76 which then connects to I-80 through Nebraska. My husband was thinking of leaving leaving Colorado on I-76 and then somehow working our way to Kansas City. On a map, for me, it makes more sense to take I-70. Either way, we don't want to be on the interstate the whole time. We'd like to take our time and take some breaks.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Oh, yes, I see I 76 now

Okay, I see it now.....I am sorry I am not that familiar with going across Kansas other than I 70.....so I will be interested in hearing what others may suggest.....on all our previous trips we were either trying to get to Colorado as soon as possible or trying to get home to the Kansas City area as soon as possible.....but now with airconditioning in our vehicles, it would be nice to stop and smell the prairie/wheat fields......and see what is really there....other than a great football team at KU that always seems to beat MU.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I-70 in KS

My suggestion for an interesting and quite pleasant diversion to traveling on the Interstate through Central and Western Kansas as:
  • Exit I-70 at Wilson, Kansas - - and if you like to see local crafts, the gift shop found adjacent to the exit has some wonderful examples of local artists' work.
    • From Wilson, continue North on State Route 232 toward Lucas. You will pass through the Wison Lake territory, and the scenery can be absolutely wonderful in the Fall. There is also a nice campground along the edge of the lake, and at this time of year even with minimal shade the stay should be comfortable.
    • The Garden of Eden in Lucas is a must see if you enjoy off-beat historical attractions. It is a native stone home and studio of a sculptor, S. P. Dinsmoor who filled his yard with a variety of scuptures - - it is really something very different to see.
    • Continue West on State Highway 18 through the gently rolling Kansas hills . . . the highway is a super 2 and a joy to travel .. but don't neglect stopping at a few of the small towns that have been bypassed as often the local cafes will have absolutely fantastic meals at good prices.
      • Paradise is one of the small towns that has been bypassed, but its historic native stone water tower is right at the bypass and offers a great photo opportunity as a traveler.
      • Along this route, you will pass many areas with native stone fence posts that may be a century or more old. In many parts of the state these rock posts are becoming a rarer sight, but there are still a number in use
      • Natoma is another small town along the hig
      • hway that has been bypassed . . . there are interesting antique and thrift stores as well as the Hitch'n Post restaurant - - a very unassuming cafe with very good food. . .
      • Nicodemus is another small town along this highway. It is on the National Register of Historic Sites, and is a very intersting place to visit along this route.
    • From Nicodemus, continue West on US 24 - - this stretch of highway is quite pleasant all of the way into Limon, Colorado.
      • Colby is home to the Prairie Museum of Arts and History is another must see for its collection of local arts and crafts from days gone by.
      • Kanorado sits righ along the Kansas/Colorado border and the sign marking the state line continues to be a somewhat favored photogarph opportunity.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
wow! Thanks Kevin! That sounds wonderful!!!! Thank you SO much!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lani, If you take I-76, I believe there are some Oregon Trail tracks near the Colorado Welcome Center at Julesberg.

However, I think I-80 has more truck traffic than I-70.

An alternative is to go via either US 34 or 36—they hug the Kansas-Nebraska border. If you take 36 you go just north of Cawker City, Kan., and the world's largest ball of twine. It's on US 24 which is another route east. These highways are old two lane blacktop and much more interesting than the interstates. Since these farming communities are somewhat depopulated, travel is pretty fast as there's not much traffic.

Two things to watch for—by mid October (and before), hellish blizzards are possible, so watch the weather carefully. And RV parks start closing, so watch those dates in the camping books, check ahead on the internet or call. Because of less business, some places close earlier than their listings indicate.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks Gene! Good to know about the truck traffic and weather. They are calling for snow in the Fort Collins area on Saturday so I will definitely keep an eye on the weather. And...the largest ball of twine?!? Perfect!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
...Does anyone have any recommendations for sights to see, places to go, or restaurants to enjoy along this stretch of road? (We love wacky, historical, beautiful or just plain random sights!) I've done some research and picked up a few items of interest that we might check out...
i have personally visited EVERY COUNTY and almost every town in ks.

IF the attraction has a guest book, i've signed it.

IF they sell an edible, i've et it...

and if the stop has a potty, i've used it.

so, lani, what follows is a tornado of random kansas thoughts

u have done some research and picked a few items ?

LIST THEM HERE so we know what is what so far...

HOW MANY DAYS are planned to cross ahs ?

WHO/WHAT is in your travel posse ?

and wadda they/u wanna EAT?

where do u like to camp?

do you collect rocks

like lucy n desi or

shot glasses

or spoons

or fluffy

stuff?

-nicodemus is nearly GONE as a settlement.
-and really not of interest to most
-who aren't into black history in america
-or the selling of "rail road" towns...
-the garden of eden is cool,
-but wacky has gone TACKY and
-commercial efforts there, now rule...
-the world's largest gopher is tired,
-very tired...
-and the 5 legged cow needs shoes.
-many interesting military sites from custer to ike...
-injun stuff too if you like.
-a sod house or 2 is pretty impressive,
-but keep in mind kansans are repressive.
-without mountain vistas or costal wonder...
-we tend to treasure things that wander.

-so tell us MORE and the advice can be specific
-but there ain't nothing here like the pacific.
-and the BALL of twine is sagging...
-so much so it's pathetic.

cheers
2air'

btw check out this bunch of nutcases, they've charted MANY of the especially wacky, special places in ahs...

Rare Visions & Roadside Revelations

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Neat things along I-70

Rock city near Minneapolis, KS (just north of Salina) is national natural landmark and contains a large number of spherical rock concretions. There are only a few places on earth where such concretions are exposed. Beats the ball of twine anyday. Twenty miles south of Salina is Swedish-themed Lindsborg, KS. We had fun with the kids there during an afternoon a couple of years ago. I remember a lady who painted wooden horses (they were all over town); she's really good at her craft. There is also a bison ranch east of Lindsborg where you can fill up the freezer with lean grass-fed red meat (yum!!).

Bye
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Neat things along I-70

Beats the ball of twine anyday.
How often do you get to see a gigantic slumping ball of twine? This is real Americana. Having a giant ball of twine is so important that there are others around the world fighting to be the biggest.

I saw it in early July, 1976. It changed my life in ways I am still discovering.

I still feel a loss in never having gone to see the World's Largest Picnic Table near Bath, NY. I drove through Bath many times in the '70's and never took the time to go see it. Who knows what I could have achieved in life had I gone to see it?

I did visit the wire bridge in New Portland, Me., in 1968. That was cool.

America is known for various "World's Largest _______________".

And what's a "spherical rock concretion" anyway?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Dare I say.... Keep driving... to COLORADO.... LOL Sorry just could not resist!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
..I saw it in early July, 1976. It changed my life in ways I am still discovering....Gene
i lived 2 blocks from the ball o twine in 60s...

it was MUCH smaller then and genuine.

visits to TOUCH the "bailing ball' where like mecca 2 the wailing wall.

locals tried to light it on fire and then put out the fire with...yella stuff.

now the community ADDS to the ball just to keep ahead of the others trying to 1up them.

ks has LOTS of world's largest stufff

-worlds largest wooden barn (burned down a few years ago)
-worlds largest hand dug well (it's dry, last time i checked)
-worlds largest "dorothy collection"
-worlds largest earth mover (big brutus) i think it's 2nd largest now...

i could go on but know everyone is breathless and needs a pause.

oh yeah we've got the worlds largest pause tooooooo.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

And what's a "spherical rock concretion" anyway?

Gene
that would be a round rock gene, OOZED up from the dark spaces of earth...

these are 'earth zits' basically...

cheers
2air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Dare I say.... Keep driving... to COLORADO.... LOL Sorry just could not resist!
continued PROOF that literacy, comprehension and directional awareness are NOT strong points for the mile highers,

lani and her tribe will be moving EAST vinstr' as in exodus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
...My husband was thinking of leaving leaving Colorado on I-76 and then somehow working our way to Kansas City....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey all,

Rocks, little Sweden and whats for dinner are all I remember from crossing Kansas. Here in Highpoint, NC, we have the world's largest chest of drawers. Not to be missed.

Bye,
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
wow! this has suddenly become a tough decision! The largest "slumping" ball of twine is quite tempting...but so are earth zits...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Downtown KS City, MO was interesting~they built towers and fountains to resemble Italy. Also, we stayed a Lake Jacoma, a lovely park with full hookups and a lake view close to downtown.
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote