Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I-5 Through California

I just towed my 25 foot Safari almost the entire length of I-5 and have to say that almost all of the California highway was in horrible shape. Expansion joints I expected, but the potholes, patches, and crumbling concrete were not anticipated. I wondered if every rivet on the AS would come loose, and in fact several did. I almost feel like suing the State Highway department, but as poor as I am I probably have more money than they do! Avoid if possible the area from San Diego to Santa Nella. It does get better after that, but still has a long way to go. Oregon and Washington sections are wonderful by comparison. My wife's mother lives off of a washboard dirt road, and it was not as bad as I-5 in many places.

Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Steve 97365 I feel your pain. We just drove from Phoenix up to Monterey for the week. We took the I10 out of Phoenix and then went thru Needles and Barstow / Bakersfield and skirted around La. I have to say every California highway we took was aweful. Bumpy, pot holes, you name it... It was terrible! I am happy to report the ol girl made it in one piece .

WBCCI# 2578
Four Corners Unit

Our travel and resto blog:
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
We travel frequently to see our kids in California, and fortunately they live close to #101 so we leave I-5 North of Sacramento and drive thru San Jose.

Last month we visited Yosemite and again we avoided I-5 South of Sacramento to travel #99, which has been repaved over much of its surfaces.

We always try to avoid the I-5 South of Sac. and especially thru Stockton which is the worst stretch of highway I have ever driven.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Ah, now you westerners know what it's like to drive on New Jersey roads. I usually can't wait to get out of NJ and find some decent roads. Thanx for making me feel better.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote