Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
I-40 or I-10 to California from Texas

We live in San Antonio and will be heading to Patterson California on Sunday Sept 9 to meet our new grandbaby. We will likely go thru the Los Angeles area to get there and maybe spend a day or so in Santa Barbara just chilling. My question is whether we should just go straight out I-10 to LA or is the I-40 route a little more interesting. We plan on taking our time getting out there (7-10 days) and would enjoy staying in a state or national park if we can find some with some shade and trees. Does anyone feel strongly about one route or the other? I am thinking I-10 will be very boring and desolate. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I-40 is a lot more fun (that is Route 66, after all) and better campsites along the route. KOA in Flagstaff comes to mind.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I vote for I 40 as well. I 10 to Juncition (Cooper's BarBCue right there at the exit - get the ribs) then north on 83 to Amarillo and pick up 40. You can make Amarillo in a day and there is a good KOA there, or camp at Palo Duro Canyon SP as a tune up for Grand Canyon which you will be driving by as well. When you get to Barstow, take 58 across (right past Edwards AFB) to Bakersfield (home of the late Buck Owens) and Skip LA. If you do go to LA camp on the beach at Huntington Beach State Park. Kings Canyon and Sequia NP's are not far away from Bakersfield.

I also agree Flagstaff KOA is nice.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like I-40 for the scenery by far, and enjoyed Route 66 days almost fifty years ago. The truck traffic is heavy on I-40.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Never taken I-40....

Two weeks ago we returned from getting our Airstream in New Mexico. The drive was pretty easy. By the way Rudy, need you to look at some wood working stuff once you get back.

Have a good trip to Cali.

Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Last time we went out I10 from Austin to CA, about half way through the drive, my wife said "Let's never do this again, OK?" It is indeed desolate.

I will heartily 2nd the suggestion for Coopers in Junction. However, our GPS and Google Maps show it in the wrong place. It is just north of I10 on 377. My GPS and Google maps show it south of I10 on 377 (aka Main Street).
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
We live in San Antonio and will be heading to Patterson California on Sunday Sept 9 to meet our new grandbaby. We will likely go thru the Los Angeles area to get there and maybe spend a day or so in Santa Barbara just chilling. My question is whether we should just go straight out I-10 to LA or is the I-40 route a little more interesting. We plan on taking our time getting out there (7-10 days) and would enjoy staying in a state or national park if we can find some with some shade and trees. Does anyone feel strongly about one route or the other? I am thinking I-10 will be very boring and desolate. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Not sure about the Texas route but be careful when you get into Ca I would take the 10 to the 210 to the 134 to the 101 if you are going to Santa Barbara. The area between Riverside thru Pasadena can get pretty crazy. Also I would try to plan on hitting that area after 11 am on a week day. I love the Santa Barbara area so much to see. If you are camping over night there you may want to see if there are any spots available at El Capitan beach just outside of Santa Barbara in Golita. Its a great campground overlooking the Pacific. Happy trails!!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
There's nothing to speak of except El Paso, Tucson and Phoenix between Junction, Tx and Indio, Ca on 10. It's longer but more interesting on 40 and I've always enjoyed going over Flag.

From San Antonio, I would cut the corner and go through Roswell to Clines Corner and save quite a few miles getting to 40.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Just did the I-10 route

Think it's been said about I-10 route correctly. Just did that one in July from Houston. it's boring but face it, from SA you have to go across that boring stretch to at least get to New Mexico so you might as well get it out of the way first. We made it from Kerrville to Tucson and stayed at a state park near there Karchner State Park in one day. Coming back from Lake Tahoe we did the 40 route and varied it up. So my thought. do I-10 going far as you can stand it fast and quick, then take that time you've saved and slow the trip down for the more beautiful detours and excursions. Come home a different route for sure.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
In the colder months, blowing snow or temporary snow related road closures can make I-10 the road of choice but the rest of the time I would vote for I-40 hands down, especially if you have the time to do some sightseeing along the way.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. No doubt we are going to go the I-40 route. we are planning to hit the road about 7 am today. This is our first long trip in our Aistream since retirement. Can't wait to head out and not really have to be home in just 10 days or so. This has been a long time coming. Thanks again
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. No doubt we are going to go the I-40 route. we are planning to hit the road about 7 am today. This is our first long trip in our Aistream since retirement. Can't wait to head out and not really have to be home in just 10 days or so. This has been a long time coming. Thanks again
That's so excitin, love a good road trip. Don't miss the Santa Barbara Zoo the property is beautiful and its right on the beach. State street is nice too, the Santa Barbara mission is there along with a lot of out door shopping. Have a safe trip!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I40. Been on both. If you havent been to Yosemite NP, go there.