Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

I 40 Heading West- Need help, just in case!

In my search to purchase a Motorhome I will be flying into the Dallas area to take a look at an argosy motorhome that is within my pricerange. Should it be ok, I will be buying. Here is my fear.
I am traveling alone and wish to at least think that this community will look after one of their own. I will be trekking along I 40 through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Gallup, Flagstaff, Kingman AZ, and finally Barstow.
Needless to say, this is all desert. I have in the past spent the coldest night stranded outside Moriarity, NM. Would hate to have to do undergone through it a second time. I will have my cell phone (323-395 7042), just in case I need to call someone.
Anyone in Dallas?
Fort Worth?
This one needs a muffler fixed, looking for a trustworthy shop locally.
Hidalgo
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
What are your travel dates?
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Good luck, Hidalgo. Sounds exciting - your very own race through the desert, just like your namesake.

I could offer you my sofabed and go along to check one of these out, if I didn't live in Chicago.

Best wishes , cool trip.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Some Preplanning

OK, here's my 2 cents:

1st - e-mail Brett (thenewkid64) and ask if he will send (e-mail) the latest copy of the Bluelist of Roadside Help to you. Here is his e-mail thenewkid64@tampabay.rr.com. For more info on the Bluelist you can read the post by that name.

2nd - There were some posts regarding reputable RV dealers in both the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and somewhere in Arizona. Don't know if the Arizona one would be close to your traveling, but maybe having the motorhome checked out and/or serviced before leaving Dallas would be worthwhile. Like buying a used car, could be money well spent. I will try to find the dealer name in Dallas and post here, but you might try the search button or maybe someone remembers and will post.

Of course, you might decide NOT to purchase this one.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Shades of the Iditarod, not the great white North, but the sands of the great American desert. Best wishes on finding the trailer you are hoping for and then safely making it across the long drive. For sure, all of us at a distance will be checking the postings to see how it goes for you. Keep us posted on your decision and possible journey. The refrain of an old tune--"All day I face the barren waste. . ." keeps running through my head! Take lots of water along Good luck hunting and safe travels.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I am in the DFW area. so let me know when you are coming. The listed Valley View Airstream Dealers are pretty bad and want to get out of airstream business (Good).
We are about 25 min north of DFW. The one south of Ft. Worth "Happy- something' has just started up, and they dont have a lot besides a lot of brochures. we do have a camper's world north of us. and someone in the forum told me of an airstream repair place between dallas and Ft. Worth. you are welcome to park yourself here, but we couldnt give you any advice on buying an airstream- our pan is dropped and no mice etc! amazing! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Best of luck Hidalgo, keep us posted on your trip. I would suggest that if you go ahead and buy this unit, and have not had it inspected, that you do a short run first to see what is up, and at least then have the oil changed, and trans and all fluids checked by a truck or RV shop. Also be sure to have a few handy tools on board just in cae, AND a roll or two of duct tape, a hose and belt repair emergency kit, extra water and oil, some electrical wire mid thickness that will suffice for a few different things. Bailing wire, and of course fuses of various sizes.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
"...first to see what is up, and at least then have the oil changed,..."

I'll post a strong second to what Alan said.

To give yourself a good baseline, go ahead and spring for the bucks to have ALL of the fluids changed, unless the PO can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that all fluids were changed within the past year.

I purchased mine sight unseen in Phoenix, but serviced all fluids and brakes prior to departing for Houston.

Money well spent.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Change of plans!

I decided to fly in and out, to assure myself that I did not get stuck in the middle of the dessert. Thanks to all for the input. This really made me realize that I needed to get it serviced prior to me driving it.
This meant that I fly to purchase and arrange for servicing. Then drive it home at a later date.
I did in fact purchased it. Because I was leery about the trekking along cautiously, I have stored in Haltem City, Texas at a very nice storage facility. These folks treated me with the heart of angels looking after an out-of-towner. They even drove me to the airport. These folks are at Aloha RV, Boat and storage. Off Haltem Rd.
If in the area check it out, it is in fact an excella 24ft. Will do all the proper thing before taking on snakes of the desert.
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Sounds good, and after all you now have one of the rare models. Good luck!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote