Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I-20 road condition East from DFW

After experiencing the bone jarring, nerve rattling and tiring travel over I-40 and I-30 in Arkansas from Memphis through Little Rock and well past Hot Springs we've sworn off travel through Arkansas from this point forward, at least on the Interstate Highway System unless absolutely necessary.
We're planning our return trip for later this week from the DFW area to southwestern Virginia begining on I-20. Realizing that I-20 goes through states that may be as "revenue poor" as Arkansas and unable to keep up their portion of the federal system, how is travel along I-20 this year from DFW to Atlanta? What is the condition of I-20 on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best condition?

Should any of you be planning a drive through the aforementioned portions of Arkansas, make certain your tires are in good condition etc. before venturing out onto what might be called a "trail". We were so happy to have good tires and checked them constantly en route for damage.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
California has got to be right behind or perhaps ahead of Arkansas when it comes to road upkeep. Every time we cross the border to either Oregon or Arizona from California it's a bit of a relief.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Parts of 20 are rough (5) in LA and MS. There was a long section (35 miles or so) in western LA at Christmas time that was reduced to one lane each way due to construction.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Can't speak for the whole of I-20, but I routinely travel I-20 from Shreveport to Dallas when visiting my parents. Never had a real problem, aside from construction zones. You CAN tell the difference when you cross the state line from Louisiana to Texas and vice versa; the main difference is that the left lanes tend to be in poorer condition because drivers in Louisiana seem not to understand the concept of "keep right except to pass."
Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
I 20 fm B'ham to Atlanta

I recently round tripped from Atlanta to B'ham. There is a lot of construction zones with much lane shifting in Alabama. If I were making the trip that you are, at exit 158 (Pell City, AL) I would get off of I 20 and get on US 78 which is very close by. Stay on 78 to Heflin, AL and get back on I 20. You will by-pass the construction areas for the most part. From there to Atlanta I 20 is fine except for somewhat heavy traffic.

Walter
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
I pulled from eastern Long Island to Austin in March as I do at least once per year. I keep hoping that moonscape they call I-30 in Arkansas gets better but I'm giving up hope. It's actually as bad as the highways around NYC...maybe worse. We'll be pulling home in May on 20 then up through Birmingham and Knoxville to 81.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
On our 11,340 trip last summer

We went through some 21 states from California to Ohio and Michigan....and as far south as Oklahoma City......we found that if we stayed off of the interstates we had a smoother more relaxing drive....all of the trucks seem to own the Interstates and have beaten them to death......Not sure everyplace has alternatives but highway 50 across Kansas, 20 across northern Nebraska and many others too numerous to mention...and sometimes we were the only ones on the highways......in fact, thinking of changing our rig's name from SteSpot to Backroads Baby......
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
I like to do that as well but it can work against you if you aren't familiar with the roads. I'll take 281 between the hill country and DFW over 35 any time. Perhaps an "alternate to the interstate" would make a good thread.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
You generally find better food off these roads as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
It's as we suspected friends and thanks to each of you for your valuable posts. It kind of makes you wonder what our nation's bridges must be like does it not?
We're thinking of pulling out a road atlas and taking a look at traveling the back roads of America as they all seem to be in better shape for the most part in our limited experience with them.
This was valuable information for us and we thank each of you very much.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I can't speak for last year but the Christmas before I-20 in Mississippi west of Jackson was just a bit bumpy. However, I don't remember it being as bad as the roads in Ark-bump-an-bump-sas-bump.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
US-82, the Bankhead Highway, parallel's much of IH-20. An interesting old road I have traveled from west Texas into Georgia numerous times. Other threads here on AIR, and see the Wikipedia entry.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'd read this thread with interest a couple months back. A month ago we traveled from San Antonio up to the Ste. Genevieve, MO, area. I-30 seemed great after crossing in at Texarkana. Still fine half an hour later... And then we hit the stretch after Hope. Bumpita-bumpita-bumpita! The highway turned nice again as we hit the taxpayer suburban ring around Little Rock.

Northeast of Little Rock we continued on US-64/67. My, that was bad! With my rig dynamics I had to slow a tad below 55mph to keep making progress. We were going to spend a weekend at a state park west of Poplar Bluff, MO, and therefore happily left 64/67 at Bald Knob. Amazing how nice two lane roads were in comparison to such major thru-ways! Though you'd have seen some swervy Blair Witch dashcam work if you could have followed our progress after we crossed into Missouri from Thayer to Winona. I do love the Ozarks!

The part of US-60 we traveled east of Winona was in fabulous shape. Towed like a dream.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have been keeping 82 as secret as I can. The same with 380 going from DFW to New Mexico and Arizona.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Thanks for the updated road report. I am heading that way soon.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This winter we picked up 82 West of Hobbs, TX and took it to Alamogordo, NM. We did this mostly to avoid El Paso and for a more scenic route. The road is in great shape with very little traffic. The ride up and down from Cloudcroft cam be a little intimidating, but is really not that bad. I think I averaged 99.9 MPG on the leg from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Am going to drive from Lake Ouachita (Crystal Springs Campground) up to Bull Shoals...... is there an alternative to the aforementioned 64? really want to avoid the bumpita, bumpita, bumpita if at all possible.... hope soem of our Arkansas friends will chime in because you are bound to know the roadways best

thanks
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
OK...I've completed the round trip begun in March: Eastern Long Island to The Texas Hill country and back with many stops in between, including six weeks of storage in Fort Worth. As it was my first long trip with my 2006 20' safari I was more than a bit anxious and (at first) felt every bump, crack and pothole within 50 feet either side of the road. But I got over it quick!!

As discussed, I-30, especially from Memphis west to Texas just plain stinks. I also disliked 30 in Texas as there is a ton of construction and it is far more urban than the similar stretch of I-20.

Coming back east we took I-20 all the way from Fort Worth to Birmingham. It was an absolute pleasure compared to 30 in every way. The road condition was far superior, there was barely any construction and the views were far better and considerably more rural than on 30.

As I plan on making this trip annually I can safely say that I'll probably never see Memphis, Little Rock and Texarkana again.

I also prefer the stops along the way. Lincoln Parish Park just off 20 in ruston is absolutely beautiful. Roosevelt state Park (between Jackson and Meridian in Ms) was fine and Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, Al was awesome. (We are serious mountain bikers and the Ruston and Pelham Parks offer some of the best riding in the Southeast.

Turning north in Birmingham: 59 and 75 were mostly OK and 81 was easy although there is a bit of construction towards the middle of Virginia. Given more time we'll explore Route 11 a bit, especially as our passing through seems to coincide with the 500 mile yard sale.

All in all the 5000 + mile trip went flawlessly. I can't wait to do it again.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
This winter we picked up 82 West of Hobbs, TX and took it to Alamogordo, NM. We did this mostly to avoid El Paso and for a more scenic route. The road is in great shape with very little traffic. The ride up and down from Cloudcroft cam be a little intimidating, but is really not that bad. I think I averaged 99.9 MPG on the leg from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo.
Last map I looked at had Hobbs in New Mexico...

:-)

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
Last map I looked at had Hobbs in New Mexico...

:-)
You are 100% correct. We started that day from Midland, TX and I must have missed the sign...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote