Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hwy 90

Between I-10 and Morgan City... Oh my what a jackhammer!!!!!

Crossing overpass set off porposing oscillation which felt like near full extension of front suspension.

I am beyond upset....

Probably because I am too tired now, but anyone have idea of how to stop that???

Giodnite...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Between I-10 and Morgan City... Oh my what a jackhammer!!!!!

Crossing overpass set off porposing oscillation which felt like near full extension of front suspension.

I am beyond upset....

Probably because I am too tired now, but anyone have idea of how to stop that???

Giodnite...
I'm very familiar with Highway 90, all the way from New Orleans to Lafayette, so I feel your pain.

The best way to deal with porpoising is to either speed up or slow down until it (mostly) goes away. Given the abysmal state of the highway system in Louisiana, I'd definitely recommend slowing down rather than speeding up.

Also, you might try detouring. Instead of taking Highway 90, you might go north of I-10 to Highway 190, at least west of Baton Rouge. That has some bad patches as well, but isn't as heavily trafficked, so it isn't as badly worn overall.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I-90/I-94 in Wisconsin can do the same oscillation thing. Only way we've found to combat it is to adjust your speed until it smooths out some. But it never goes completely away. I think it affects longer trailers more than shorter ones. I swear they used a 3 foot level that was a quarter bubble off on that highway.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Attend to the mechanical baseline as well. Be meticulous:

1] Get the WD hitch dialled in as close as possible (scale weights). One can experiment with different weight bars.

2] TT axle condition (and shocks)

3] TV tire pressure according to scale readings (as above; vehicles loaded for trip)

4] TV shock absorbers (If a truck, KONI FSD or BILSTEIN; maybe RANCHO 9000)

Travel speed makes the biggest difference. Some roads just aren't going to allow what one feels ought to be normal. Skill in reading roads is part of the job.

Attending to the mechanical baseline (verified numbers) at least allows one to "know" how it [the combined rig] "should" be over the range of conditions encountered.

One also learns to distinguish, over time, the range of ones own reactions according to sounds, motions and vehicle feedback. They jumble together at first and forcefully jump-start the heart.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote