Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Hwy 1 in Oregon ?

Would like to take that route up the CA, OR coast but have heard pros and cons regarding the route towing an RV. I'm pulling a 25' AS, would I have any problems?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

We have driven a lot of this route at least from Brookings to Lincoln City pulling our Bambi... lots of folks travel this route with big rigs. Shouldn't be a problem pulling a 25 footer. The very worst part of Route 1 is in California just north of San Francisco... very slow and lots of tight corners in this section.

When driving in Oregon on route one... if you will be traveling during the summer months be aware it is a highly sought after vacation area and traffic is dense... one RV and motorhome after another. And, remember, it rains a lot (all year) in Oregon! We have usually made this these trips in the rain ~ so I suggest avoiding driving at night as the roads are winding. There are some areas that might give some folks "food for thought" but they are in areas where you can't drive fast, so you should be okay. Because of the number of turns and twists in the road, the traffic, etc. calculate on doubling your time for travel while transiting Hwy 1.

The Oregon Coast is awesome and worth every minute. See it in the daytime, take your time and enjoy. There are many, many campsites along the coast. However, in summer they fill quickly many times. The Oregon State Campgrounds are awesome, and many have reservations. Check out the state website, then click on parks with campgrounds! State of Oregon: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I spent some time last summer in Oregon, mainly the southern half of the coast. Had no problems towing, just take any tight curves slow. I have some pictures of some of the coastal state parks I stayed at on my web site. Cape Blanco was my favorite. It's first come, first served at that particular park, so try to get there early if you go.

The last few weeks in August there was a marked increase in crowds, especially on weekends.

As far as Highway 1 in California, I would be hesitant to drive through Big Sur in the summer just because of the crowds that time of year. Otherwise, it's the same as Oregon, just take the curves slow.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
Would like to take that route up the CA, OR coast but have heard pros and cons regarding the route towing an RV. I'm pulling a 25' AS, would I have any problems?
Too my 31 all the way up US 1 and 101 CA to WA. No problems.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I rode this route on my mountain bike towing a BOB trailer 10 years ago. Beautiful scenery and highly recommended. I saw RV's of all sizes negotiating the highway with little dificulty. I travelled from January through March and the highway was occupied by mostly local traffic. Camp sites are plentiful and at that time of year not too busy. The State parks in Oregon are fantastic.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Other than the landslides, fallen timber, tsunami threat, off-shore earthquakes, sea lion attacks, and the trinket sellers, you should not have any difficulty. If you're going to travel during the summer season, you should make reservations - busy place. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
oregon

Our first long trip from florida to washington; way back travelled almost the whole length down the oregon coast to crescent city. pulled our 31 with a suburban 3/4 ton. a lot of road work and we encountered no rain. as a first timer newbie of only 2 months at the time I was very cautious and pensively aware. I had my stomach full by the time we headed west to I5 at Ukia, Ca. We camped at private sites and had no problem finding access. Cape Kiwanda to Gold Beach beautiful. with the price of fuel becoming apocalyptic you should have the place to yourself by summer. I was happy to reach the boredom of a straight interstate.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
You're going to love this trip! Just be sure to pull away from the coast to an easier cruise at the scary places (between SF and Mendocino) and enjoy the ride.
We towed our 25' Safari from our home on the CA mid coast last year at the end of May, and found many Oregon state park campgrounds virtually deserted. As soon as the summer school holiday hits, everything changes!
Our tow was easy, fun, and the only gasps were for the scenery.
From Santa Cruz, we headed out to 101 and took that to Benbow. From there we went out to the coast on a beautiful drive to Brookings OR, where we stayed at Harris Beach SP (Sites A18+A22 especially scenic.) From there we went to a lush site at Sunset Bay SP in Coos Bay, and spent a couple more nights at Jesse Honeyman SP in Florence. Amazing place with huge dunes and some great hikes and kayaking.
Then on to Beverly Beach SP in Newport. (Equally fabulous, but a very rainy stay. Be prepared...) Loved all the wild rhododendrons and azalea along the roadsides, and the chance to have fresh seafood everyday.
You'll love it. It's truly a comfortable tow although as Caddygrn says, you may be in for more traffic than we had.
Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Humbling redwoods.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	59983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harris Beach SP,OR.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	59984  

Name:	Harris Beach camp.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	59985   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0460.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	59986  

Name:	Florence.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	59987  
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I've driven a 38' Motor Home with a tow and our 25' Airstream on this route with no problems. You can't go fast because of traffic and curves but the scenery is awesome!

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We travel with our Caravel in Southern Washington and the Oregon Coast each summer flying at Kite Festivals.

The scenery is spectacular. The roads are good, but a bit crowded in the summer.

Make reservations for your night stays. Not always necessary, but you don't want to get to a great place and have no place for your Airstream.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We did make all our campground reservations months ahead of time, and because we were in a shoulder season we were able to pick our sites.
That's not the case at all during the summer, although it would be hard to get a bad spot in most of the coastal campgrounds.
Most have easy access to views of the rugged ocean beauty typical of the area.
(Don't forget the umbrella...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oregon coast view.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	60080  
Old 05-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Hi Janet, could you tell me where your last pic was taken, we are visiting up there this summer also. Looks like a great place to take pictures. Thanks George.

Very nice pics by the way!
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks,mrchinup.
The last photo (all by husband Terry-not me) was taken at Shore Acres park, near the Sunset Bay SP campground in the Coos Bay area. It includes a beautiful botanical garden, and there's a path that goes all along the cliffs with lots of great photo ops.
Below is a picture somewhere along the coast, another view of the Shore Acres cliff from the path, and the adjacent garden/estate.

Although the pics don't show it, we did have some blue sky almost every day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oregon.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	60154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oregon2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	60155  

Name:	Shore Acres.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	60156  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
I am looking for boondocking spots along the entirety of Highway 1 for a trip to Baja from WA state. Any links or lists would be very helpful.
maxi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Route 1 & 101

Gayle & Joe---You have a lot of positive input to take the coast route trip. When you start planning with your maps, you'll discover that route 1 is a Ca highway designation and doesn't apply in Oregon and Washington. Route 1 starts in the south near Santa Barbara and ends up north near Ft. Bragg. The coast route on the rest of the west coast is US hwy 101. Have a great trip.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Thanks everyone for the information. We are in the Merrysville, CA area now and will leave tomorrow for the west coast high. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
As soon as you cross into Oregon, pick up their state park map. It's really informative about the various camp grounds. If I recall, it also identifies forest service camp grounds.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Well, we're in Florence, Or at this time. The trip up 101 was just fantastic. Right now we are in The South Jetty campground and will be leaving here for Pacific City on Thursday. Sure don't look like Texas.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I am sooo envious. We love the Oregon coast and although it looks wonderful now, it gets better the further north you go. Spend some time around Cannon beach and definately take a side trip to Ecola State Park but find a place to park the trailer before you go. Its a winding road and quite narrow in spots but well worth it. You'll need a camera.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I hope you spent a little time in Bandon. I spent a couple of days there and quite enjoyed it.