Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Slidell , Louisiana
1 it was the failure of the levees
2 gulfport/ms gulf coast had no levees

My point being nola AND the entire south la area would have been crushed which would have severely slowed the recovery of nola

Imagine an area from mobile al to br la and as far north as jackson flooded and without power for weeks

The causeway gone like the twin spans as well as the I 55

Imagine us90 washed away

No way to get into the area from any direction and you'll understand how and why a cat3 storm with a cat 5 storm surge like katrina taking issacs path

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is hard to crush urban myths that were created by the media after Katrina. Thankfully they seem to have kept that type of reporting out of their Isaac coverage to a large degree.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjamsan View Post
No way to get into the area from any direction and you'll understand how and why a cat3 storm with a cat 5 storm surge like katrina taking issacs path
New Orleans got the lion's share of the media coverage, in part due to then-Governor Blanco's and then-mayor Nagin's hysterics. But just ask the folks around Mobile, or Pensacola, or Gulfport how their neighborhoods fared for Katrina.

There is no way, by any known trick of geography, topology, or meteorology that a storm surge could get as far inland as Jackson. Anyplace that wasn't flooded by Katrina's massive storm surge probably won't be flooded by another storm's surge, either.

Isaac's path wasn't all that different from Katrina's, when you look at the whole 200+ mile radius of the storm and not just the plotted position of the storm's eye. So, your comment about Katrina taking Isaac's path, well, that more-or-less already happened, and we know the result.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And now the remnants of Isaac are back in the gulf trying to reform into something tropical again. And so it goes, jim
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Slidell , Louisiana
I never said the storm surge would get to jackson ffs
But 20 inches of rain in the pearl river basin would be as devaastating as levees failing in nola

The track of isaac was very different and any storm wiith 50 miles west of the cbd has a very different impact

Imagine katrinas surge into gulfport hitting grand isle instead

How can you be living in metairie and not understand the effect of 36 hours of south easterly winds into the lake

Ask braithwaite and laplace if they want katrina to take issaacs path
Ask people in oak harbor slidell the same
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjamsan View Post
Ask braithwaite and laplace if they want katrina to take issaacs path
Ask people in oak harbor slidell the same
Nobody ever WANTS a hurricane to take ANY path that includes a landfall. Anywhere. Not ever.

In the final analysis, all that matters is that we each have a plan on what to do for the next storm, and we follow through on that plan as well as possible.

I won't argue anymore based on speculation about what if a given storm follows another path. People with more combined brainpower than both of us have computer models that show the effects of any storm, up to a Cat Five, following any path that any named storm ever followed. They've modeled what would happen if Katrina followed Ivan's path. Or Andrew's. I'm sure in the next few weeks, they'll have models for a Cat Five following Isaac's path, too. But it probably won't be released to the public, for fear of scaring us all the way to Missouri. Good luck getting a copy of the model results from USGS, NOAA, or FEMA once they're done, but if you manage it, let me know. I'd sure like to see it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote