Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Huntsville/Nashville/Chattanooga/Athens/Macon

We are planning a small adventure with our four year old little girl starting around mid April. The planned stops are listed above and we need some input from all of you fantastic people on where to stay. We will be in Huntsville, AL for one night, Nashville for 3-4, Chattanooga for 3-4, Athens, GA for 1 and Macon, GA for one night.

We plan to visit the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center and I know there is a place to stay very close to there (HSRC RV park). In Nashville we have heard good things about Seven Points (COE) located about 10 miles east of Nashville. In Chattanooga we like the Lookout Mountain/Chattanooga West KOA. In Athens we are considering the Pine Lake RV Resort and we have not decided on a place to stay in Macon.

These locations are based solely on our own research, but we certainly value any first hand experience over Google. Full hookups are preferred, but not required as you can see by some of our choices.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide based on your travels to these areas! It is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

David

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California
Chattanooga has the Tennessee Aquarium, downtown is really family orientated.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Space and rocket center also has a bus and walking tour of Marshal Space Flight Center and some of the historic sites. Requires some walking but well worth it if you are into the history of space flight. Lots of interactive displays in the SR. Center as well for kids.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Tyrinius (David),

For your visit to the US Space & Rocket Center, consider an annual membership, which may save you quite a bit of money in the coming year, especially if you and your family enjoy aerospace and science museums.

We bought a $65 annual membership to the Museum of Flight in Seattle, and got free admission to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR where the Spruce Goose is displayed, and several other science and natural history museums, through the ASTC/Association of Science-Technology Center Passport program, which allows free admission to hundreds of aerospace and technology museums throughout the world.

Last spring, on our 78-day roadtrip in the Pacific Northwest, the Museum of Flight membership saved us several hundred dollars; and the ASTC program is valid for a full 12-months.

See details at the links, below:
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I highly recommend Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville. It is on top of a mountain overlooking Huntsville and it is easy to get to the space center from there. It is wooded and there are several sites with full hookup. We stay there every year and really enjoy it. From there head towards Chattanooga and cross the Tennessee River at Scottsboro and take Hwy 40 head over to Henagar, AL and then on to I-59 ,take the Trenton exit and go up the mountain to Cloudland Canyon State Park. It is on top of the western face of Lookout Mountain, overlooking Trenton Georgia. It is a short drive to Chattanooga on top of the mountain but it is worth the drive time since the camping is so nice. We like the West Rim campground as it is more wooded. We have stayed there for several days for the last 6 years and just love it. Great hiking.
As of last summer neither campground would take a reservation for a specific site. You can reserve a spot in the park but it is first come on which site you get. Usually not a problem if you don't arrive on Friday or Saturday.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
If you're into trains, check out the Tennessee Valley Railroad in Chattanooga. They have train rides on antique trains. They are a nonprofit museum/restoration group.
PM me when you have your schedule set. We'd love to meet you and perhaps spend a night at the KOA for some wine and adventure.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I second Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville. I live here and we go there a lot. However, the Space and Rocket Center has it's own campground that is in walking distance of the museum. The planetarium is right next to the Monte Sano State Park. If you are only going to spend one night and you are going to spend most of that time at the Space and Rocket Center, then stay at their camp ground.

Cloudland Canyon is a nice campground near Chattanooga. You can spend several days exploring around there if you are into outdoors stuff.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I highly recommend Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville. It is on top of a mountain overlooking Huntsville and it is easy to get to the space center from there. It is wooded and there are several sites with full hookup. We stay there every year and really enjoy it. From there head towards Chattanooga and cross the Tennessee River at Scottsboro and take Hwy 40 head over to Henagar, AL and then on to I-59 ,take the Trenton exit and go up the mountain to Cloudland Canyon State Park. It is on top of the western face of Lookout Mountain, overlooking Trenton Georgia. It is a short drive to Chattanooga on top of the mountain but it is worth the drive time since the camping is so nice. We like the West Rim campground as it is more wooded. We have stayed there for several days for the last 6 years and just love it. Great hiking.
As of last summer neither campground would take a reservation for a specific site. You can reserve a spot in the park but it is first come on which site you get. Usually not a problem if you don't arrive on Friday or Saturday.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Madison , Alabama
Agree, Monte Sano State Park is beautiful. I live here as well and the Space and Rocket is indeed a place to visit. Also, we have taken a couple of our grandkids to Nashville Shores just outside Nashville (east side)...they had a great time...very nice water park at the camp ground.

Happy trails, be safe and have fun!

Steve
Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Seven Points is great as a campground but unless kids are really into "camping" Nashville Shores might be more interesting for the granddaughter.

We loved the Country Music Museum and Hall of Fame in Nashville. Best non-art museum we've seen outside of the Smithsonian system.

We also don't usually do tours but the tour of RCA studio B in Nasville is great if you are a music fan

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great input everyone. Mvaug45, we are excited for her to visit Chattanooga. Selfishly we are going through Nashville a bit more for our sake than hers, but she will have plenty to discover. She really likes science and nature so the. HSRC will be an interesting test.

Rmkrum, it's good to know about the interactive displays for kids.

Phoenix, good idea and thanks for the information on the annual membership. I really appreciate all the links as well. We will certainly check it out, especially if she shows a heightened level of excitement.

68 Twind, Monte Sano is a perfect example of why I posted this thread. It did not show up on any search we did and now I know where we will be spending our night(s) in Hunstville. Plus since perryg114 mentioned the planetarium right next door, that's fantastic. We did look at Cloudland and may reconsider since I see there is some fondness for it. My initial thought was it's a place to visit one day to save on the daily drive time into Chattanooga.

Thanks for the information and the invitation 3 Dog Nite. Wine and adventure are two peas in a pod.

Goal15, I have to give credit where credit is due. We discovered Seven Points in your thread "Nashville in March" . We did look at Nashville Shores, but unfortunately the water park will not be open yet and she is too young for the zip lines, so we decided to save that for another day.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
And I have to credit Deke and Tiffany from Weaselmouth for our initial discovery of Seven Points but very happy to pass it on after we stayed there

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I agree with perryg114 and StarChasers I like Monte Sano State Park. Welcome to Huntsville. I was a youngster when my parents moved here in 1961.

Ron
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums