Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Hunting Island & Charleston SC

My husband and I are planning to spend 3 nights in Hunting Island and 3 nights in Charleston - leaving Florida on the 27th of December. Can any of you tell us about what we can expect weather wise? Any suggestions for a good, upscale restaurant in Charleston? Thanks! Laura
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
PM Captain Hank. He lives nearby and knows the area really well.

Enjoy the Low Country.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Blairsville , Georgia
You might camp at James Island county park--very convenient to Charleston
Pmgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Weather in these parts can be tricky. It could be 80 during the day, 60 at night or it could be 50 during the day, 38 at night. Hopefully its not a cold spell but I typically would expect a windy 60 degree day.

I am from Hilton Head which is not too far from Hunting Island. May I suggest a stop in Hilton Head? We have a tremendous RV park right on the water. I have never stayed over night there but I had my boat at the docks there for a little while and the restaurant is great
Hilton Head Harbor and RV Resort and Marina

As far as Charleston, I would suggest a visit to Boone Hall Plantation, it is a very picture perfect southern style plantation with the typical big southern estate house and working farm. They decorate it with beautiful Christmas decorations for the holidays.

For dinner Try The Pennisula Grill on Market street- their cocoanut cake is famous all across the country Peninsula Grill, Fine Dining, Restaurant, Historic Market, Charleston, SC

We always like to walk through the Charleston place hotel and have a drink as well

Close to Hunting island get fresh seafood from the Gay Fish Company
Gay Fish Company

And stop by the Beaufort downtown park and find one of many waterfront restaurants after some shopping
Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park

If you are looking for anything specific let me know
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
On your way to Chas, you should take time to see Savannah and Beaufort.
Both beautiful historic cities.
This week it is going to be in the high 60's to mid 70's. Never know when it will change though.
Safe Travels
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like Hyman's Seafood and Restaurant in Charleston.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Weather in these parts can be tricky. It could be 80 during the day, 60 at night or it could be 50 during the day, 38 at night. Hopefully its not a cold spell but I typically would expect a windy 60 degree day. I am from Hilton Head which is not too far from Hunting Island. May I suggest a stop in Hilton Head? We have a tremendous RV park right on the water. I have never stayed over night there but I had my boat at the docks there for a little while and the restaurant is great Hilton Head Harbor and RV Resort and Marina As far as Charleston, I would suggest a visit to Boone Hall Plantation, it is a very picture perfect southern style plantation with the typical big southern estate house and working farm. They decorate it with beautiful Christmas decorations for the holidays. For dinner Try The Pennisula Grill on Market street- their cocoanut cake is famous all across the country Peninsula Grill, Fine Dining, Restaurant, Historic Market, Charleston, SC We always like to walk through the Charleston place hotel and have a drink as well Close to Hunting island get fresh seafood from the Gay Fish Company Gay Fish Company And stop by the Beaufort downtown park and find one of many waterfront restaurants after some shopping Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park If you are looking for anything specific let me know
Good information here! Thank you! We actually tried to get into Hilton Head Harbor and it was booked. We do most definitely plan to go into Hilton Head and have a dinner or two there but Charleston was going to be our New Year's Eve place and thought we should go ahead and book something there! I sure appreciate all of the info! Laura
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmgill View Post
You might camp at James Island county park--very convenient to Charleston
We ended up booking a place at the KOA, tried the James Island County Park as it was our first choice - but no room at the inn! Thank you!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
PM Captain Hank. He lives nearby and knows the area really well. Enjoy the Low Country. Gary
I'll do that! Thank you! Laura
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
On your way to Chas, you should take time to see Savannah and Beaufort. Both beautiful historic cities. This week it is going to be in the high 60's to mid 70's. Never know when it will change though. Safe Travels
We love Savannah but have never been to Beaufort, so we'll have to check it out! Thank you!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
If you want to spend some time in our area, SAV, HHI, or Bft, we have courtesy parking 1/2 hour from SAV and 15 min from HHI on the May River in Bluffton. We do have water/power. If interested, PM me w dates and email.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
If you want to spend some time in our area, SAV, HHI, or Bft, we have courtesy parking 1/2 hour from SAV and 15 min from HHI on the May River in Bluffton. We do have water/power. If interested, PM me w dates and email.
Lucky dog. My dream is to be right on the may river someday with a dock
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
In Charleston, I would recommend three spots: High Cotton (I don't like grits but love their shrimp & grits), 82 Queen (best She-Crab soup on the planet), and Hominy Grill (more casual with fabulous Bloody Mary). Enjoy! Charleston is one of favorite American cities.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
My wife and I will be in Savannah and staying at Red Gate Farm for a couple nights , and leaving New Year's Day for Charleston depending on the weather.

I did book dinner at Alligator Soul. Not sure of where to eat for New Years Eve. I think we will go to Hilton head for lunch as I would like to see the Harbour Town Lighthouse.

Thanks for the tips on Charleston places to Eat.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Sure was mighty nice of your to offer the courtesy parking! We already booked our spots to make sure we had a place to stay, but I really appreciate it!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Enjoy your time up there and hopefully the weather cooperates for you! We went on a two week trip late last March from Tampa up to Charleston, then to Edisto Beach, ending in Jekyll Island, GA and had a blast but the temps were brutal. We weren't able to spend much time outside unfortunately, with the highs in the upper 30s and lows in the teens. We did get at least one decent day in each site, which we took full advantage of.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Enjoy your time up there and hopefully the weather cooperates for you! We went on a two week trip late last March from Tampa up to Charleston, then to Edisto Beach, ending in Jekyll Island, GA and had a blast but the temps were brutal. We weren't able to spend much time outside unfortunately, with the highs in the upper 30s and lows in the teens. We did get at least one decent day in each site, which we took full advantage of.
That cold in March? I don't think we have been in the teens around here since I moved here a few years ago..
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
That cold in March? I don't think we have been in the teens around here since I moved here a few years ago..
Yep, we were there last March and it was darn near miserable. Not ALL the time, but there were a few nights in the teens, and a few days (both at Edisto of course) where it was in the mid-upper 30s for highs with 30mph winds.

I had to actually crank the furnace instead of just the Therm-X.

Still, it didn't stop us from having a great trip. We'll just go in late April next time.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Even a cold, windy day at Edisto is a good day.

Maggie
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The temps at Hunting Island will be a little better than inland BUT can be anywhere from 70 to 32. We say if you do not like the weather in the low countrry wait 15 minutes. As far as food what do you like to eat. I live in Mt Pleasant which is right over the bridge from Charleston. We stay away from the tourist restraunts. Food bland to us. Great Gulla in Mt P. Great Greek downtown,good mexican on the neck. Would have to send me a PM with a number and I will call so when you are here just call and I can give you some ideas. You will love Hunting Island. They had a AS gathering there this Summer and it was great. There is a man who rehabs ASs very close to Hunting Island. If you need some work would recommend way advance appointment. He does SUPER work. Would love to meet you Just PM me.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote