Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The fat in my body settles in my stomach bending or kneeling over can be a real task! Also get heartburn if I had just eaten and bend down or over...

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
1) Get the two-balls-and-sticks hitch aligner so you don't have to get in and out of the cab so much.
2) Get a power tongue jack put on if you don't already have one.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota

I was telling my wife: "See, other guys have back problems and this is important to read." I told her others suggested you "get the wife to hook up."

She responded: ""hitching up would be simple if you just brought along a twenty-one year old (and I began to get all excited) ........ guy along."

They have a way of knocking the wind out of your sail.
tomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
Like alot of people, I have a weak lower back, and hitching up is a real pain in the back. Its the bending over that does me in. Getting ready for the new camping season, and already not looking forward to the hitching up,I have even resorted to pull throughs to avoid the unhitching and hitching up at times, not always what I want because I like to camp in the forest service campgrounds that are smaller, and to not extend out of my site with the TV, I need to unhitch and move the TV. So this year I intend to use a sit down stool to help me when I hitch up and not bend over so much, it may or maynot help a little. I know I am not the only one out there with a bad back and that deals with this, anyone out there with good ideas? My AS is 22ft long, TV a Ford F150 super cab. Thanks!
I had such bad lumbar problems that I eventually agreed to surgery (a laminectomy) and the consequent "six weeks prone on the floor" recovery like to cost me my sanity (wife and 2 yr old depending on me, etc)...

the ONE thing I can honestly say has improved my back to the point I no longer worry about it is to adopt a daily workout (mornings only, if I wait I won't do it) of stretches, yoga, and calisthenics (pushups, jacknifes (like situps but better)...this workout has basically saved my arse and my back and my mind.. the increased muscular strength enables me to carry my weight and reduce pressure on the really works...PM me if you'd like the full routine I do... a lot of it I got from the Wii Fitness/Yoga machine...

good luck! (I say a lotta Our Fathers and Hail Marys too ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
My back is all out of whack as well and I've discover a couple of things that really seem to make a difference on our road trips...

Keeping the seat warmer on low all the time helps keep the muscles limber.

The electric tongue jack. It's one one of those small luxuries that you really appreciate after a long day on the road.

Stretching during pit stops.

Backup camera for hook ups. Best investment ever!
DaveAbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Over the years I had a few sporadic instances of lower bike pain. It would come on for the most stupid ofreasons, sometimes, I woudn't even know what brought ut on.

Typically it would leave me in serious pain for a few days and barely able to walk.

I had done a reasonable amount of exercise for many years of my life but that ddn't seem to keep it at bay.

After I took early retirement about ll years ago, I was able to step up the amount of daily exercise to about two hours a day in two one hour sessions split between a treadmill and a weight bench.

I still would get lower back pain sessions now and then.

About four years ago, I searched the internet and came up with a half dozen or so mat exercises specifically targeted to strengthen the lower back.

I changed my exercise routine a bit - still doing about 2hrs a day in total, but now I finish each session with about ten minutes worth of the lower back exercises - so far it has worked for me. Probably jinxed myself now!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Power tongue jack, Pro Pride hitch, and an adaptor on a cordless drill. I only used the PO's hitch a few times and sure never did miss having to crank on the hitch ever again once I put a HENSLEY on it.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian rightly points out how important exercise is to help with back pain. I have a couple of herniated discs, but exercise keeps me functional. I don't exercise nearly as much as Brian, but just enough.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote