Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2003, 02:31 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
HOW to protect LPG bottles against robbers

I'm in my final period before taking road to my holiday campground in the south of FRANCE and I try to think all that it could happen during the trip or during the season.
So LPG bottles are one of my last preoccupation because they can be stolen by robbers , even if they are not the same size as Europeans' ones, or just because they are nice.
How do you protect them from robbers ?

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:44 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Bruno...

I doubt that anyone on this forum has ever had to consider trying to keep thieves from stealing propane tanks. Although it's undoubtedly happened here, it is certainly not a common occurance. I've never seen any extraordinary lock system for tanks.

My suggestion would be to use a heavy 3/8 or 1/2" five foot length of braided cable (they are available at hardware stores here) and a heavy duty, attack resistant padlock with a barrell key. Loop the cable through the handles of one tank, then through itself, run the free end through the handles of the second tank, then loop it around the frame of the trailer and then lock the other looped end to the cable.

If you have the type of hold-down that uses the two aluminum handles that screw down against one another, you may be able to get some kind of lock that will allow the two handles to be locked together with the lock in between the two tanks.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:17 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
actually, I was worried about this myself. even though I live in a very low crime area, I once had a utility trailer stolen from my driveway. My house is built 500' off the road in a wooded area. I can't see the end of my driveway from the house, so I'm kind of secluded back here. Anyway, there aren't many places to park trailers or cars here, where they won't be in the way of our cars coming up and down this road. One available spot is at the end of the driveway, right near the street. I parked my little 4x8 utility trailer there....one day when I came home, it was gone.

This same spot is where I parked my A/S for the winter, and although I wasn't concerned that someone would steal the trailer itself, (not like you can just hook up with any old vehicle, and drag it off...not to mention, it would be difficult to hide a big silver trailer from the cops), I have been concerned about local kids vandalizing it. And last summer when I had the propane valves re-fitted, I saw some alluminum tanks for sale at the propane company, and what they cost. Yikes! I figured I should take the tanks off the trailer for the winter...brought them up to the house, and stored them behind my toolshed. no need to tempt fate. They are something with which just about anyone could easily abscond.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:07 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lock box

for those of us with trailers that have covers one could add a hasp and a padlock.

creating as our ex vice president once said: "a lock box"

the only draw back could be having the access to the valves. one would want to make sure the box was unlocked during use.

incase one needed immediate access in an emergency!

perhaps the bicycle cable is a better idea!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
propane tank locks

I have seen propane tank locks advertised in the past. They are similar to the common spare tire locks where there is a chrome cover over the nut that spins freely when locked and removes when unlocked. They simply screw down on the threaded rod between tanks.

Personally, I don't worry about my tanks and don't lock them in any way.

Some careful internet searching might find the locks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Lowe's has a U-shaped large locking device made by Krypton that just might fit between the handles of the tanks. I've been contemplating this rather than the braided cable but that would be my second choice. You might also check Home Depot. Look for the heaviest cable you can find.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote