Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Well i originally posted it into the How To Forum/Thread i thought. Maybe someone moved it ?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Thanks guys,
Geeze i couldn't find my post topic until i googled it. Still don't know where it is ?
I liked 2airs points. So i won't mount it back there.
Actually had a mount on my old Ford truck - in front of radiator that i used to use when my camper was on my truck. Guess i could do the same thing or put them inside the camper. Can't do anything on top as my boat is generally there.
Fred
Fred, between 2air and Andy they have chalked up almost 8500 posts. I have found Andy often gives what seems to be a strange answer to a problem but can always back it up with facts, 2air always provides detailed answers with sound logic. Enjoy the forums.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Well i originally posted it into the How To Forum/Thread i thought. Maybe someone moved it ?
Yep. The MODS will often move threads to more appropriate forums...the 'Forums How to & Support' forum (where you started this thread) is the place to ask questions about the workings of the forum software, features or trouble-shooting forum related computer problems.

Some members read posts by topic...so your thread would never have been found there ~ so this thread was moved to a more suitable location...just a MOD doing their job.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Fred, I also considered a rear rack after seeing a few homemade setups. Then, like you had done previously, I installed a simple front hitch, mounted the bikes, removed the seats for better visibility and off we went. A spray bottle and rag cleaned off the bugs prior to use. Sometimes the old KISS works best. "Keep It Simple Stupid". Good luck.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Worste accessory ever offered for Airstream: The Red Ant bicycle carrier mounted on the back bumper. The too stiff suspension means the truck bounces along the road rather than absorbing the shocks. This bouncing is transmitted to and amplified at the trailer hitch connection as a vertical movement and thru the W/D hitch bars to the trailer as a bending moment. This gives you more loads in the A frame and impressed load on the frame going all the way back to the wheels. If you have a softer sprung TV it absorbs the bounce and impacts and does not transmit as much to the trailer. A Equalizer hitch like you have with the stiff heavy W/D bars make matters worse than if you had bars with a lower flex modulus. They would allow the trailer and TV to more easily follow the road more easily without transmiting as much vertical toque moment to and from the trailer when they are out of syn going over or thru an obsticale.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Andy, as I've mentioned before, I really like reading your responses. You have struck my curiosity though. Can you explain what "excessive tow vehicle stiffness and/or excessive hitch rating" is?

Thanks.

Safari-Rick
We don't need a Peter-Bilt to tow and Airstream.

We also don't need 1 ton trucks, dually's and the like.

To me anything over a 1/2 ton spring rate, is excessive tow vehicle stiffness.

The simply test, for any rig is hook it up to your trailer, with the load equalizing bars that you have.

Then get up on the A-frame, and try to bounce up and down.

There should be 2 to 3 inches of bounce.

If not, your over rigged. That over rigging can be the tow vehicle, the load equalizing hitch bars, or both.

I have seen some rigs that wouldn't bounce if you had a 400 pound person jump up and down.

Anything over a soft ride for an Airstream or Argosy trailer, will eventually "GOTCHA" and you will needlessly spend good money for repairs, that could have been 100 percent avoided.

RV service departments love customers who have excessive rigging. Keeps their service department very busy, correcting everything that was torn up.
It's also good for the dealers bank account.

How to avoid the problem, is easy.

Want to improve how a Suburban handles and how it reacts with your trailer??? Soften the springs. You will be amazed.

"Don't over rig." It's a waste of money and gives you and your Airstream, nothing but grief.

Guaranteed.

Andy
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hi Andy,
As I haven't picked up my new Airstream yet (will in about 2 weeks) i would greatly appreciate you commenting on what type of hitch (weight distribution/sway) setup I should deploy on my rig.
So I have a F350 Diesel 4x4Crew cab 8' bed ,single axle with about a 1700 lb pop-up camper on it and I will tow my 2007 25' Safari airstream that weighs around 7800 lb and has a hitch weight of 720lbs. So i am maxing out my truck GVWR ( around 9,700lb) . I will quite often be travelling on gravel roads (throughout BC) so thats also a consideration. Would greatly appreciate your comments as i really don't want to leave my decision totally up to the service department when i go to pick up my trailer.
Fred
Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy,
As I haven't picked up my new Airstream yet (will in about 2 weeks) i would greatly appreciate you commenting on what type of hitch (weight distribution/sway) setup I should deploy on my rig.
So I have a F350 Diesel 4x4Crew cab 8' bed ,single axle with about a 1700 lb pop-up camper on it and I will tow my 2007 25' Safari airstream that weighs around 7800 lb and has a hitch weight of 720lbs. So i am maxing out my truck GVWR ( around 9,700lb) . I will quite often be travelling on gravel roads (throughout BC) so thats also a consideration. Would greatly appreciate your comments as i really don't want to leave my decision totally up to the service department when i go to pick up my trailer.
Fred
I would suggest a Reese full sway control (dual cam) 550 pound rated hitch.

Using a heavier rated hitch, with your super heavy duty tow vehicle, will send excessive road shock to the trailer, that will more than likely cause front end damage, sooner than you think.

Also, installing "segment protectors' will for most part contain the damage from the rocks.

Andy
Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Andy,
So I don't need to go slightly over the hitch weight- like the Reese 800 pound straight line dual cam (like greg suggested) ? its Ok for hitch to be under the rated tounge weight ?
Fred
Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
So I don't need to go slightly over the hitch weight- like the Reese 800 pound straight line dual cam (like greg suggested) ? its Ok for hitch to be under the rated tounge weight ?
Fred
The hitch rating needed varies depending on the tow vehicle suspension system, and the trailer tongue weight. In your case, the lightest rating will work the best.

You already can tow the Queen Mary.

Andy
Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Fly Fish Fred, looks like we have the same airstream except your is a FB, so this would have to change configuration for your use.

I haul too bikes "in the trailer". We have a couple of higher end Mt Bikes and I took a piece of plywood about 12 inches wide and just long enough to span the section in front for the pull out bed/couch. I did a couple of those mounts for the front bike forks and bolted them with carriage bolts (bolt head on the side of the board on the floor) just far enough apart that the bike's handlebars do not touch. I found that the two removed front bike tires will fit inside the front "under the couch" storage area on top of the boxes that came with the trailer. I put some of that anti skid rubber stuff under the plywood to keep it from moving as much and to protect my floor from skuffing from the carriage bolt heads.

The plywood actually cannot slide forward as it is against the front of the couch, but the anti skid eliminates side movement and rearward movement.

Downside is bikes are there in the "living room". Upside they are safer, cleaner and really we can get in and use the kitchen, kitchen table and the rest of the trailer without moving the bikes. I am sure this is not the anwer for everyone, but we usually go to use our bikes so we park and unload them and just chain them outside at nights until we move on.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Well slowly but surely all my issues are getting resolved.Thanks to Andy my hitch issue is clarified, i can hardly wait to see what the dealer will suggest when i go to pick up my trailer (and have him install hitch setup). I'm sure all of you will also be curious what he comes up with.
As far as a bicycle rack goes, i'm still undecided. All the solutions are tradeoff's (as usual).
My main purporse of the bicycle is basically to pull it off, then go check out a (isolated)campground before i pull the rig in and find out it will not fit in any spaces and i have to back out 1/2 mile or so as there was also no adequate turnaround. The bike really won't be used that often so outta sight, otta mind is best. Every lake/stream i fish i try to camp on directly, and do most of the time, wheather it will be with the airstream as a base camp or the pop-up camper in rougher isolated spots.
I really like Garfields custom bumper bike rack (where do bikes go thread) designed by his dealer.
The (light)weight rack & bikes,in that case on the bumper cannot be a seperation issue, as many have suggested, as one could load the adjacent bumper storage unit up with at least an additional hundred pounds over the bike/rack weights. Its certainly a conundrum ,so i will be contacting Airstream Factory to resolve it, as to just exactly the max weight that could be placed in the storage box. To me its really just a tradeoff issue,ie bike /rack total weight combined with storage box weight.
Their were also other valid points mentioned. Sure its a super dirty area, but one could simply cover the bicycles, as i currently do with my outboard motor on my truck back bumper/rear camper face, to keep it clean. The whippyness back there may also be an issue. I really don't care to place it in front of truck cauz of conflict with headlights but this is best location to remove rapidly. Inside trailer is out, hate to move stuff back and forth, Inbside camper is valid option but again access somewhat difficult. But what the heck isn't this fun when these are issues one has to deal with.
Fred
Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
In my continuing pursuit for the perfect hitch setup once again i am shaking my head in confusion. This is really becoming quite comical !!!
I contacted California Hitches who does ONLY HITCHES. They told me that the hitch system i will need has nothing to do with the tow vehicle suspension system, only the trailer tounge weight. They recommend a 1,000# round bar with chain setup (draw tite)and 1 sway control. No reese with dual cams,equilizer, or Hensley, They are old school !!!!!
Help !!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
We're rather new here but have learned fast that they guys on here (and gals) deal with airstreams every day and have way more specialized info than any RV parts place that works with other brands or specialized dealers that sell a single product for all manufactors of trailers. I'd suggest you work with one of the veterans on here and take their advice. So far we've been steered wrong locally twice but never yet from answers on the board.