Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Without a doubt, picking (guessing) a campsite is the worse thing about camping. Barking dogs, loud music, early risers with big diesels that want to run for 30 minutes before leaving,whatever can disrupt my sleep is checked out before unhooking the trailer. We usually try for state campgrounds with quiet time rules. Then, at least we have a last resort for the unexpected. I also carry ear plugs.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
We own a campground and we have radio free areas to avoid those campers who feel everyone wants to hear their Shitty music!...lol. It's a fine line those people also paid their money but but are very inconsiderate of others for sure.
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Sorry, Canadians do make noise, and lots of it, especially when young and drinking. I have been next to them in Canadian National Parks... trust me... grin. But the ones I have encountered are mostly friendly, and want you to come over and have a drink. Or many.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Just another reason to boondock..........
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Sorry, Canadians do make noise, and lots of it, especially when young and drinking. I have been next to them in Canadian National Parks... trust me... grin. But the ones I have encountered are mostly friendly, and want you to come over and have a drink. Or many.
Absolutely Canadians can make a ton of noise. Anybody ever attended a "bush party"-- or been within earshot? One of the scariest tent camping experiences of my life was in a provincial park over Victoria Day weekend, when the guy next to us got roaring drunk (and I mean roaring.) We didn't know if he was armed or not, but he seemed pretty violent. We hunkered down quietly and I suspect he eventually just passed out.

At least the Bambi provides a lot more insulation than a couple of layers of nylon.

We have asked the odd group of campers to tone it down, and this has never been a problem.

Our Secret Weapon is to get up early, and make some noise right next to the late-night party people, if possible.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If you are offering free drinks, for sure, come on up! We have lots of parking spots.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
If you are offering free drinks, for sure, come on up! We have lots of parking spots.
At my previous apartment building, in the New Orleans Garden District, the unspoken rule was, "if you can hear the party, you're invited!" Didn't always get as much sleep as I needed back in those days, but I had a great time.

So one way to handle noisy neighbors is, crash their party and make it your own.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
You won't experience that in Canada. Canadians like to be in their jammies - curled up in front of the TV with Peter Mansbridge and "The National" by 10.

We're so boring that we can't even produce a politician worthy of assassination.
Perhaps Canadian campgrounds are quiet, but the campground we stayed at in Brimley, MI was filled with Canadians because it was Canada Day weekend. It was overcrowded with extra tents, cars and dogs at almost every campsite. The radios were loud, the dogs barked all night and one fellow decided he needed to run his noisy old diesel every half hour for a few minutes. We will not go back to that campground on that weekend.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
In our twenty years experience on the asphalt sea, it's "weekend warriors" that cause the bulk of the trouble; they are not aware that the neighbors might need their own space. Some "northern travelers" seem to have louder voices, maybe from a life of talking against the the winds and the high humidity.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #30

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
Perhaps Canadian campgrounds are quiet, but the campground we stayed at in Brimley, MI was filled with Canadians because it was Canada Day weekend.
Now, now, be fair. Canadians may get loud when they come to the USA for Canada Day, but we Americans tend to get loud wherever and whenever we go.

Except when we go to golf courses. Golf courses are always quiet. Maybe camping near a golf course is a worthwhile tactic?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Except when we go to golf courses. Golf courses are always quiet. Maybe camping near a golf course is a worthwhile tactic?
If you think hail is bad...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you think hail is bad...
Living proof of the old military maxim, no plan survives contact with reality.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Living proof of the old military maxim, no plan survives contact with reality.
Well, it's still better than the shot put throwing area.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Ha ha ha put a bagpipe album on the stereo and go over in your Speedos and start bumming drinks and cigs. See how long it takes them to leave.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Speedos? If we put those on, we'd have the whole campground in an uproar. Of laughing.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I grab my guitar and go visit the neighbors and invite them to sing Kumbaya
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Ha ha ha put a bagpipe album on the stereo and go over in your Speedos and start bumming drinks and cigs. See how long it takes them to leave.
And I can leave my teeth back in my TT. Jez comfort when smoking and talking at the same time. Easier to roll the cig to one side when I shoot a lil booze in the other side, them old teeths do git in the way.

And, scratchin'. A Speedo makes for easy access to all areas.

(This plan is taking shape)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Alpharetta , Georgia
Get a life. Do you remember "I hope I die
, before I get old."

You can't avoid aging.....Acting old is a disease.
py1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Okay so let's see, How to handle noisy neighbors: Pop out of the Airstream naked with a bagpipe and a yellow flashlight. That is funny!
I wish there were a "LIKE" button! Hilarious!

Do you have a big black dog? That can work. A friend of mine was tent-camping alone with her Rottie X Lab. There was a large group of 20-something males partying till very late in a provincial park, like it was a bush party. She couldn't take it anymore and went over with a flashlight and the dog. The guys were so apologetic and quieted right down. Of course, she was terrified going over, but it worked.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of years ago we were in a beautiful state park on a weekend and settled in to one of the few remaining sites.

A young couple with four small children and FOUR yapping puppies pulled in across from us, pulled a brand new tent and other camping gear from boxes and proceeded to set up.

They declined offers of help, made no eye contact and just didn't seem like the friendly type.

The puppies were soon each tied to their respective trees, where they were left for the night, yapping continuously. No camp host patrolling, no cell signal to call someone to make their rounds. Not even the adults or children trying to quiet the pups. They all seemed to be sleeping soundly.

I'm sure we were not the only ones being kept awake, as it was mild weather and no electricity available with which to turn on the AC to drown them out.

About midnight we pulled out and spent the rest of the night parked in the paved area by the dump station. Just seemed like the best way to deal with it.

Maggie