Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
How to deal with panhandlers

What is the best way to deal with panhandlers at fuel stops and rest areas?
It seems some are very creative with their pitch.
Tom
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Ignore. Put the nozzle in the tank, start it, then get in the truck.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, no, and NO.

If they got too close, I would pull out my cell phone and threaten to call police.

If that didn’t back them off, I would make the call.

We/I have never had to do that, and only had to threaten it once in about 250,000 miles of travel in two rigs over 15 years.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Well I stepped into two good ones last night just outside Ft Bragg on I-95.
First one. I was fueling. Big jolly guy and small guy in a small car at head of pumps on curb, perpendicular to pumps.
Big jolly guy comes walking toward me with smile. As I take note and stiffen,he jokes saying him and buddy have to get their car fixed. I relented and gave him ten bucks.
He walked over to little guy gave him the money . Little guy drives away.
I was had.
Big jolly guy walks to next pump with what looks like 82 airborne guy.
Airborne guy did not say much,was not rude, but big jolly guy walks off.
Second one.
I drove up the road about 10 miles and found a choice spot at the state rest area.
Having supper in my coach. When someone knocks on door.
I had brain fade and opened the door.
It was a gal who started spiel.
I told her no go away.
Live and learn

Tom
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Get distance immediately. They can get your wallet in seconds and they are armed!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just say “no”. I have reported aggressive beggars to store manegement and the police. That is the only way to get them removed from the premises.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1956 22' Safari
1972 31' Sovereign
New Mountain , Texas
Dealing with Pan Handlers

I have found that an .357 S&W Combat Commando in the front seat works very well ! If you put it in their face they leave in a hurry!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Some places, like San Francisco, they are everywhere, on every corner of every block, and in the middle of some blocks as well. I usually give a couple of bucks to the first one I run across who is not too pushy, as a deposit in my good Karma account for the day, and decline the rest. As many of them as there are, they must know that if we gave money to every one of them, it wouldn't be too many blocks until we were out of money.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I've never felt threatened. I simply respond that I haven't anything to help them with and turn my attention back to pumping gas (which is the place I am usually confronted). I also report the panhandling to the store, as they generally know it makes customers uncomfortable.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
What is the best way to deal with panhandlers at fuel stops and rest areas?
It seems some are very creative with their pitch.
Tom
With unemployment as low as it is today anyone willing to work and needing a job can find one.
I never succumb. Sorry got no cash on me.
However my wife god bless her, should any panhandler approach us with a hungry looking mutt in tow look out.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Been moving to my mountain property for over 1 1/2 years now. Many years of stuff to sell, move, give away, dump, fix.

Just passing through Los Banos recently an Indian woman walks up with baby (prop) in her arms says she needs gas money, she ran outta gas. I thought well maybe I'll give her a gallon or two. "where is your gas can"? She points to her new BMW and I start laughing. Wow! and i'm driving a 20 year old truck....fergetit!

I 've lived in SF for forty years. If I gave a dime to every beggar over that time I would be on the streets myself.

Just smile and say "no thanks" They will move along to the next one.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I've only once been approached with a spiel at a gas pump and I didn't give them anything, but when I see someone panhandling on a city street or at an intersection I'll often give them a little change if i have some. I don't take out my wallet.

To put things in perspective, if you have an annual income of more than $34,000, then you are in the top 1% in the world. There are all sorts of reasons why someone may be down on their luck through no fault of their own - mental illness or other disability; discrimination based on religion, race or sexual orientation; poor decisions made by their parents; or a failure of the education or health care systems.

And yes, I know that there are people who panhandle who don't need to, who just want an "easy" buck, and people who won't spend the money wisely.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
How to Handle Panhandlers:

On the Road, always anticipate the worst.
When the Beggars are walking at the bottom of Offramps from car to car with a sign or hand out, I always put the phone to my ear and engage in a "Fake" Conversation, something like, Globetrotter or Flying Cloud.. bla bla bla.
Always always have a Can of Bear Spray in the Driver's Door Console that you can reach if the person becomes aggressive, Physical, or crosses the plane of the Window. A 357 will accomplish the same things but may delay your trip.
Rest Stop Bathrooms? Gun or Pepper Spray in your pocket. Use the Stalls for everything so your back is not turned.
Speak in a foreign Language if you are approached at a Gas Station.
Awareness will keep you alive and money in your pocket. You earned it. Don't give it away because you made better choices in life...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
The news did an article in Colorado Springs a few months back about panhandling. Bottom line: They make up to $50-70K a year! The reporter followed one as he left his "corner". The man got into a new 5 series BMW and drove to a very nice neighborhood with homes in the $350-500K range. I never give any of them anything now.
If they get pushy, I tell them they are threatening me and say I am calling the police. If that doesn't work, I do have a CC license.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Be VERY cautious of the distractor while the other person slowly opens your opposite side door (below window level) and snatches whatever is in reach.

Lock the doors.

Sorry, I have nothing to give today.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I typically tell them that I have nothing for them. In the last 45 years, I have only had two that got pushy. The last one that got pushy was a man and woman team. The woman engaged me at the window and the man tried the tailgate on my Jeep. I told her that if he didn't leave now I would back over him. They both departed fast. I guess there is some advantage to being big and ugly.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We encountered what I call the "out of gas" scam first in Walsenburg, CO 2 years ago. We were barely shoe-horned into a small station trying to get gas and get going when a young girl (17 or 18) says she's headed to a job interview (good one!) and asks if I can add some gas to her tank or give her some "gas money". I watched her eyes - in this case she was glancing up every minute or so and I looked that direction and sure enough there was a guy across the parking lot leaning on a car watching her. First step for a successful con is to gain trust (con is short for confidence) or at minimum make the sympathy play. Using the young girl was right on - get instant concern and sympathy and sure you want to help after all she is about the same age as <fill in the blank>. RV's are great targets - we tend to be older, are out to get family time & have a good time so we are in a good mood generally, we are usually in a little hurry to get where we are going to start happy hour. And - we are generally used to putting 30 or more gallons in our RV or tow vehicle - so what's a few gallons extra or a $10 bill to make them go away? No one is getting rich nor losing all their money but the gas stations should be aggressive on these scams.

We all should be able to drive into a station and feel safe while we get gas, buy a few snacks, check our rig and move on

Over time the "gas scam" has progressed to "families" with an older member in a wheelchair with a worn "need gas" sign and people dragging dogs and very young children out in the sun with them (they are only out on warm good weather days).

Regardless of location my approach has been to directly tell them "no", clearly state "I have no cash on me" and if at a business then go inside and make the employees aware of the situation. My concern is that these people may not be stable or they really are desperate and violence would be a very bad thing all the way around. Best to be direct, be polite, and move on quickly to get out of the situation. If they do threaten you or your property use the alarm feature on your car or push the call button on the gas pump. If it's a parking lot or rest stop I would make the statement that you have a phone and will call 9-1-1 but I keep my phone in my pocket so they don't grab the phone out of my hand.

Or - you can always just carry around 10 - $10 bills and be ready to hand them out when asked - you'll be the most popular person around!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I have found that an .357 S&W Combat Commando in the front seat works very well ! If you put it in their face they leave in a hurry!
Welcome to the forum triumphleroy. Be careful doing this...you may come across a undercover beggar. Buy a veteran, or homeless family a meal anonymously. It's good for ones soul. I do give to most, if they look desperate. I will never be wealthy, but I'm at peace with myself... that's priceless. Still waiting for that good karma to kick in. Maybe it will happen in the afterlife. Youtube ''good samaritan'', it just may change your life.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I’ve taken a little different approach. I empathize with their situation, tell them about scam artists who abuse the panhandling trade and how I won’t donate on the street any more, and then inform them that I only give to known charities/agencies/shelters (which is very true). I’ll even offer to help them find one. Once they hear that I’m not playing their game, they usually turn and walk.

Piece of advice - try to stop at the name brand stations. They almost always have cameras, and you should make note of them when you pull up. Try to stay in full view of them. Our big trucks and trailers can box us in sometimes. Keep your situational awareness on high alert.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Prescott , Arizona
I carry pepper spray on the road.
First “No” is a very polite one with a smile.
Second “No” is quite forceful with a no bullshit face.
It’s never gone past that but the pepper spray was next. Non leathal and effective.
After the second “no@ I’ve been called plenty of bad stuff but they go away.
Closed Thread