Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I like that tonneau cover solution, like Mojo's as well but it does "iggy up" the nice lines of the Airstream...

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Cooling Airflow

One question I have for you guys putting the bikes in front of the tow vehicle....has your truck ever overheated as a result?

You are blocking the airflow into the radiator. I understand the auto makers build in a safety factor, but I would think that having three or four bicycles bolted to the front of the truck would inhibit the airflow enough to make the vehicle run hotter.

Have you all noticed this? If not, then great. I am very seriously looking at welding on a receiver to the back bumper of my Avion 34 footer so that we can use the same bike rack we use on my wife's Trailblazer to carry our bikes. I'm tired of fighting them in the back of my pickup under the normal height cap, and how much room they eat up. The Avion's frame is heavy enough to not worry about sag or separation. And I front load it enough that the CG is always way forward.

Just the same, I like the idea of the front mount on the truck. I'm just worried about restricting airflow and overheating the engine.

see ya on the road,

Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Folding bikes are what we use. Airstream is still up on cement blocks, but they fit in the PUP. Not great for everyday use (only 3 speeds, and tiny wheels) but great for camping trips.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Um, now I have no bikes, and I'm not really into them so please pardon what may seem to be an "ignert" question:

Why not just put them inside the trailer? Wouldn't take much to secure them, would it?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #33
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I just bought a cap for my truck and plan on traveling with the bikes on top of the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008 (1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	131694  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
never had an overheat problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
One question I have for you guys putting the bikes in front of the tow vehicle....has your truck ever overheated as a result?
Nope...28 years towing four different Airstreams with everything from a Toyota pick up to a Dodge diesel, all with a bikes on the front of the truck/suv and never had an overheat problem and it gets pretty darn hot in the California valleys in the summer.

They aren't really that much surface area and the air flows thru and around them.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Um, now I have no bikes, and I'm not really into them so please pardon what may seem to be an "ignert" question:

Why not just put them inside the trailer? Wouldn't take much to secure them, would it?
Grease, dirt, space, damage the interior. With the bike rack on the front of the truck I hang the bikes on the rack, put the hold down bracket on and padlock lock it, one bungee cord on the front wheels of the bikes and I'm on the road.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
dual hitch extension

Has anyone used one of these? I've seen two designs-one rated for 10K/500lb. tongue weight and one rated at 5K? Are they unsafe, pose clearance issues, not rated for weight of AS? Just thought I'd ask-just saw one for the first time and thought it was a great idea for the right application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rm_dual hitch 10k cap.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	131903  
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre
Has anyone used one of these?.
Tongue weight issues aside, if you planned to carry bikes, I expect their location would create issues for you (snap, crackle, pop) when you turned.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
haven't used one of those specifically, but used a receiver mounted bike rack for years without any problems. I don't see why you couldn't put one in the top receiver and tow with the bottom one. That's the idea, right?

Is this compatible with the WDH's?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Yes, they are designed to tow with the bottom and bike rack on the upper. I have not checked clearances between the rack/bikes and the propane tanks. I do still like the idea of a front mounted reciever on my Sequioa-our issue is we have 4 adult sized bikes since our boys are older. I would prefer to only have two bikes in front and either put the other two inside the trailer or consider one of these dual hitches if it were to work properly and not create a safety issue. One (additional) hesitation I have about the dual hitch is that, currently, when we are towing the AS we can open our back hatch to get to cargo (duct tape and wiskey-just kidding!) and the door just clears the propane tanks so this would eliminate that which isn't the end of the world but I do like being able to have access to cargo(duct tape, wiskey and hammer-just kidding!)
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
We haven't bought our airstream yet... So please forgive my ignorance....but in this whole thread no one said anything about roof mounted bike racks on the TV. Is there something I don't know about? Like not putting bikes on the roof of a TV when pulling a trailer?

And while some SUVs are tall and make lifting a problem, this could be helped with a small step stool/ladder brought along for just that reason.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bentonville , Arkansas
Mojo, Are you happy with this rack? I've been considering ordering one.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
We haven't bought our airstream yet... So please forgive my ignorance....but in this whole thread no one said anything about roof mounted bike racks on the TV. Is there something I don't know about? Like not putting bikes on the roof of a TV when pulling a trailer?

And while some SUVs are tall and make lifting a problem, this could be helped with a small step stool/ladder brought along for just that reason.
Check out my post #33
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1001844
That is what I am doing. The 18" platform next to the truck folds up and is very light weight.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bring bikes