Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Murphy , Texas
How often do you see another Airstream on the road?

How often do you see an Airstream on the road?

We counted 71 RVs on the road during our last round trip on Memorial Day weekend and 8 or so on our first shakedown trip a few weeks before that, so far not one single Airstream in 15 plus hours on the road though.

Same story once we are at our actual camp sites. Probably noticed 100+ trailers, coaches, etc., hooked up at various sites between the the two state parks we have visited, but not a single Airstream.

Maybe this weekend will be our first sighting of one in the wild as we head a few hours North to Oklahoma, but I'm beginning to think I have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot than another Airstream!
trailhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

FYI there is an extensive Airstream Sightings thread which is over a decade old. Over 7,000 posts in >500 pages!

[Click on the orange arrow in the quote to go to the original post there.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post
I finally caught the storage area gate open near where I live and spotted a bunch of airstreams and other interesting things. It was fun cruising and taking pictures...my daughter in the back screaming, "I see one!!"
Many of the early posts were just text, which is fun to read IMO, and takes us back to a simpler time. The geographic diversity is amazing IMO.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been Airstreaming for quite a while, and have logged over 180,000 miles of Airstream towing all over the United States and Canada.

Early on in our Airstreaming experience, we rarely if ever, encountered another Airstream. In more recent years, we have seen many more than we used to. There are a lot more Airstreams on the road today than there were ten years ago.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Murphy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI there is an extensive Airstream Sightings thread which is over a decade old. Over 7,000 posts in >500 pages!
I mowed through a few hundred or so of those pages a few months back, but somehow it totally didn't occur to me to post there. Thanks for reminding me about that one!
trailhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
It is like seeing a unicorn frankly.........I've only seen a couple at the two parks we've stayed at......none on the roads locally......one on our return trip from JC.......which btw was an AS from Rhode Island....i.e. the state I live in!

We see lots of people stopping and staring when we drive ours by or at a stop light......
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Here in the Southern California area, we see 2-3 a week or more.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Your more likely to see them at popular destinations. On the road from Cortez, Co to Moab we saw several. In the campground I’m in now there is a FC 30 a few spots from us and a vintage one next to us.

KJR
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you go near a dealership or an airstream only campground or happen to be near a rally that is getting ready to start or break up, you may see bunches. Tanglewood is a nice city park, not too far from Out of Doors Mart in Colfax NC. I have been there twice and 3 to 7 other Airstreams are always there... and it is a small park. If you get on the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway -not a rude sound) between Roanoke and Floyd, VA you will likely see one or two near Virginia Highland Haven. And if you are on I-95 in Virginia when the internatiomal WBCCI is going, it will be a plethora of aluminum.

Paula, hi-ho Silver, away
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Shelby , North Carolina
Un-scientific observations

We have been traveling the roads of NC & SC over the last three or so years and started very early on keeping a tally of total RV's and Airstreams. It has been almost uncanny how we typically average 1 Airstream per 50 SOB's (including pop-ups and other types of campers). Obviously, there are times when this doesn't pan out, but more times than not that is the ratio. That number does not seem to hold up at the campgrounds, however. Typically, there are no AS's unless we are at Mama Gertie's near Asheville or Huntington Beach State Park in SC. On rare occasions we will spot one at some of the other campgrounds we visit.
roger4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It depends a lot on where you are. As you get closer to Florida you see more. A couple a day is not unusual down on the Gulf coast.

Sitting here in the rainy campground, let's see, there's 7 over there and two over there and six more up that way, and a dozen or so more over the trees ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We see quite a few but I suspect that is because the dealer also has a storage facility (and concierge!) in Cordelia. So on Highway 80 in California near Fairfield you'll see them coming and going.

Some are friendly if you are also in an Airstream, they wave and wink and stop to visit if you are getting gas or in a campground. Others are not and just go their merry way.

We've also had at least one other Airstream in every park we've been in. Granted we are still on the first year of ownership and all of that was California...but they are out there.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We see Airstreams from time to time while driving. We were really surprised when we pulled into the Grand Canyon North Rim Campground last summer and there were 20+ Airstreams all together. It turned out to be one of the Caravan groups.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Last fall while on vacation in Acadia National Park, we saw FIVE in our loop in the Black Woods campground. Pretty impressive considering it’s a “no hook ups” campground!
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
interesting query. Now that I think about it, another AS is a rare sight.
But I did see a yard full of vintage in Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree (on CA 62) a couple weeks back.
but not on the road or in the BLM...
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthForkAS View Post
interesting query. Now that I think about it, another AS is a rare sight.
But I did see a yard full of vintage in Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree (on CA 62) a couple weeks back.
but not on the road or in the BLM...
Are familiar with the Airstream Sightings thread linked below in Post #2?

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

[Click on the orange arrow in the quote to go to the original post there.]

Many of the early posts were just text, which is fun to read IMO, and takes us back to a simpler time. The geographic diversity is amazing IMO.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Talking

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

"I don't have plans. I have targets." - Nick Sharpe
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Sightings!

Well since I drive truck I am on the road 11 hours just about every weekday and more than half of that on a well traveled Interstate. My travels mostly take me from Minnesota to all points east and south. This time of year I’ll see at least three late models every day and maybe three 70s models a week and maybe four or five vintage narrow bodies a week also. I envy every one of them! They are on vacation!!!! I’m not.

Motor On!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #18
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
We just completed a one month camp host job in South Llano River State Park in Junction, Texas. 56 campsites. Over the month of May, we had one to three Airstreams check in each week. 5th wheelers, SOB trailers & a couple of buses would fill the park during the week. Families with tents & popups would arrive on the weekends. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
One factor in the scarcity is Airstreams are one brand and we (I) tend to consider all the others as "others". Pick any single brand of trailer, i.e. Coleman, Kodiak, etc. and then count them. I suspect you will still see more of them than Airstreams, but the differential will be substantially less.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
We live in Florida, which is often a destination coming or going. We see them quite often. Of course we look for them. Of course we go to rallies in two Airstream Clubs so the likely hood of seeing other AS is good. On our 1 to 2k trips we often see at least one each Interstate day with likely one in the camp ground where we stop. We are moving around usually 1 or 2 weeks a month somewhere.

Even moving around town. I just returned from the fish market. There is a three axle 30+ unit in the RV used lot next to the Dog Track in Orange park. …….. a ten mile round trip and I see a "new" one....I haven't seen before.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote