Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
How much weight do you carry?

Just curious, looking at spec for an International Signature it list the net carrying capacity at 1776 lbs. do you come close to that number and what makes up the bulk of the weight you carry.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I would wager that many people carry more weight than they know...
It is easy to keep loading things on.
We have hit the scales a couple of times and are always surprised by how heavy we are...
Bruce

Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
At over 8 pounds per gallon, water makes up a lot of the weight carried, unless you always travel with fresh tank and water heater, gray tank, and black tank all empty.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
At over 8 pounds per gallon, water makes up a lot of the weight carried, unless you always travel with fresh tank and water heater, gray tank, and black tank all empty.
Yep. In my case about 70 gallons worth with an empty gray tank, partially filled black tank and full fresh tank...next heaviest would be my cast iron pans! I'm happy to have a 2600lb payload on my trailer.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Protagonist is on point as usual. Calculating fluid weight using tank sizes suggests a rolling weight of ~575 lbs in 'utilities' for a Signature leaving only 1,200 lbs left for all other which is more cargo capacity than most older generation trailers.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Ccc...

One of the best improvements AS has made on the newer units is the cargo carrying capacity.

Our 03 Classic...

676lbs....how realistic is that?

I was very surprised to discover that on a trailer with a 7300lb GVW they opted to install two 3500lb axles.

OOP's

Bob
Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My '07 had a sticker like the one above. It gave the carrying capacity which deducted the weight of the water and LP. My '14 doesn't have that. It gives the total capacity and you need to account for the water and LP.

That being said, my 7,300 max trailer weights 6,600- fully loaded, ready to go, with full water and LP tanks. I can't imagine hitting 7,300.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I was very surprised to discover that on a trailer with a 7300lb GVW they opted to install two 3500lb axles.
Not sure what factor of safety is cranked into the rated capacity (hopefully more than 1:1 ), but it's not a mistake. GVWR for a trailer equals all axle weights plus tongue weight. So, two 3500-pound axles should be just fine.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Some of the total weight us carried by the tow vehicle on the hitch, so the axles are correct. Jim
Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not sure what factor of safety is cranked into the rated capacity (hopefully more than 1:1 ), but it's not a mistake. GVWR for a trailer equals all axle weights plus tongue weight. So, two 3500-pound axles should be just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Some of the total weight us carried by the tow vehicle on the hitch, so the axles are correct. Jim
OK, I give up....676lbs is plenty of CCC and two 4000lb axles would do nothing to increase my carrying capacity.
JC's decision to increase CCC and install higher rated axles was not needed after all.

As far as not reaching GVWR...I will depend on actual loaded for 'dock'n numbers.

Learn me, I'm lost as to how TW is subtracted from this trailer weight ticket, un-sprung weight yes, but TW?

Bob
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Learn me, I'm lost as to how TW is subtracted from this trailer weight ticket, un-sprung weight yes, but TW?
Well, it does provide an improved factor of safety to have higher-rated axles, which means that if you DO overload the trailer, you're less likely to break your running gear.

In an ideal world, the weak link will always be the one easiest and cheapest to replace. In the case of a trailer, you want the tires to give way before the axles, springs, etc. So your total tire capacity— not the axle capacity— needs to be the limiting factor in determing the trailer's load capacity.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Trailer Weight

I think the easiest way to unambiguously determine the trailer weight is to weigh it alone. The ticket gives you the wight for each set of axles, but with weight distributing hitches (operative word) some of the weight has been moved to the TV.

I think you need to unhitch to get a clear weight of the trailer.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
I think the easiest way to unambiguously determine the trailer weight is to weigh it alone. The ticket gives you the wight for each set of axles, but with weight distributing hitches (operative word) some of the weight has been moved to the TV.

I think you need to unhitch to get a clear weight of the trailer.
There is another way. Weigh the tow vehicle without the trailer, but with the weight-distributing hitch on the receiver. Preferably getting a weight by axle.

Then weigh the tow vehicle and trailer together, again getting a weight by axle.

Add the two axle weights together for the tow vehicle, once for unhitched and once for hitched. The difference wetween hitched and unhitched weight is the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

You want to weigh by axle rather than weighing the whole vehicle for one purpose: normally a heavy trailer without a weight-distributing hitch would counterbalance some of the front axle load (pivot the tow vehicle vertically around the rear axle), and thereby decrease the effective front axle weight. You want to make sure that the weight on the front axle of the tow vehicle is the same as before you hitched up, or slightly higher, up to but not over the maximum front axle weight rating, to verify that your weight-distributing hitch is adjusted properly.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Weight of 25FB Flying Cloud

I took my brand new 2013 25FB Flying Cloud to the CAT scale they day I picked it up. It weighed 5620 pounds. That's a new twin bed trailer with no upgrades, completely empty.

I weighed it again during our first camping trip. With less than full water, it was 6060 pounds.

Since then we have added solar panels, an inverter, bigger batteries, and two more awnings, plus some "stuff". The weight with full fresh water is now 6780.

So that's a gain of 1180 including water in fresh and hot water tanks.

By the way, this trailer GVWR is 7300, and Airstream built it with 3800 pound axles.