Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Prospect Heights , Illinois
How much maintenence is required on an airstream?

I am not the most mechanically inclined person. But my goal is to own an airstream within ten years so upon retirement in twelve years i can do some decent amount of traveling. So reading a lot of these threads i see lots of modifications, upgrades, repairs etc. just how much will i need to know to own and maintain one of these?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think really a great amount.

To keep it in decent condition you will need to keep the caulking in good shape to prevent rainwater leaks that if unattended can cause costly damage over time, but that is not terribly difficult, and doesn't requite a lot of skill - just some labour.

Apart from that, the main chore is to ensure that the bearings / brakes are kept in decent shape - apart from any actual failures (not likely) this requires periodic attention - many resources say yearly, but in my experience this can be stretched a bit!

I won't attempt here to describe what is involved, but if you have a modicum of mechanical ability, you can read up on line and do it yourself. If not, might cost you maybe $200 or so a year.

Beyond that it is likely mainly an issue of problems that may or may not pop up with appliances such as AC, furnace, fridge, tongue jack, etc. (many problems I have encountered have just been due to corrode electrical contacts.)

Again, depending on your abilities and/or interest, you might well be able to resolve yourself or otherwise need to have attended to by an RV repair shop

Not really a major issue in most instances - just an annoyance

Modifictions / upgrades are more of a "Nice to have" thing if you feel so inclined rather than a necessity!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I have had my airstream since 2003.It has seen a lot of boondocking and dirt roads that were not in such good condition.The only repair i have done so far was to reseal the shower seam. I have upgraded the convertor to extend battery life as well as adding more solar to extend boondocking times.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No more or less than other trailer or boat with all the comforts of home. The key is to have a good preventative maintenance program and try to catch most issues before they happen at the worst of times.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have owned SOB (some other brand) now an airstream. From my experience I have not encountered any more upkeep with airstream than I did with the SOB trailer. Understanding the routine maintenance and doing it quarterly/annually should provide you a long-term enjoyment with an airstream. A book I found on the Apple Store (iBook: Excerpt From: Luhr, Rich. “The (Nearly) Complete Guide To Airstream Maintenance.” I found it to be helpful and interesting. I am confident you can also fine it in paperback. Airstream is not perfect, however, it is my preference to own. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bemus Point , New York
Airstream maintenence

We have a 25' 2007 Safari FB that we've pulled for about 15,000 miles. The only problem we had was due to a poor battery connection. Zero other problems. As other streamers have mentioned, preventative maintenance is the key. Don't worry about your mechanical abilities, or lack thereof. Jump in, get the best, and enjoy.

2007 Safari FB 25'
Ford F-250 diesel
Hensley hitch (strongly recommend)
jetjocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
We have a 1988, 25' Excella purchased new in 1987. Here is a list of repair/replacements in that 28 years with at least 150,000 miles on it. 2011-2014 replace both front curved windows (material covered by insurance); replace toilet, replace furnace (2015); replace water heater, replace mattress; replace water pump; replace brake magnets (2015); replace shocks (2015); replace carpeting; replace upholstery; replace shower head assembly, replace shower door; replace battery several times; replace tires several times; repack wheel bearings (every 3-4 years); replace wheel-bearing seals (2010), replace propane pressure regulator (2015); replaced propane bottles (2005). The refrigerator is original and works as good as new. I am very careful to level the trailer when the refrig is running. All electrical components still function well, including the convertor. Brake linings are still in good condition. Tongue jack still OK. That's it. I am very pleased with the performance and reliability of the Airstream and believe that we made a good investment. I was able to do most all of the above maintenance/replacement myself. Carpet and upholstery done by pros.
coloradopete is offline   Reply With Quote