Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Question How many people really travel ?

I have to ask this due to a debate am having with my hubby.How many people here with the larger camper 30 ft and up.Really travel around to different state?Or do you have a smaller one(A/S) you travel long distance with?
Any input would be helpful.....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
primarily long distance

We plan to go Texas-Colorado and Colorado to various points West with our 1999 30'. That's why we got the big F-250 and that's why we went with the larger size... so we could stay in it for longer periods.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
travel to work

i have a 27' and plan to travel extensively in it to and around major cities for work. i would rather be outdoors than in a motel for weeks/months.
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
When size matters?

Hello Clark Family,

I travel 20,000 a year in my 28 foot Excella. (I'm single)
I stay at Truck stops, National and State parks, friend's driveways and backyards.

Would it be nice to have all the inside room of a 28 and the outside length of a 22, sure!

Most of the issues I have run into are when visiting friends in the suburbs with tight turns and narrow streets.

Just traveling to parks and MOST state and National parks should not be a problem, although some State and National parks have length restrictions, but I'm told these are just "guidelines"

Enjoy,
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
I have to ask this due to a debate am having with my hubby.How many people here with the larger camper 30 ft and up.Really travel around to different state?Or do you have a smaller one(A/S) you travel long distance with?
Any input would be helpful.....
I don't know what size travel trailers you see in Tennessee, but in Arizona when you are on the road you quickly realize, man this thing is not really that big! 5th wheels and toy haulers are very popular out here and when you pull into a park a 30 foot AS begins to look average in size. This is our first AS and first travel trailer. We bought it with the intention of showing the kids the entire country. Flying is easy and we've done a ton of it. But towing the AS around the country will leave a memory that lasts forever. SEE MORE, DO MORE, LIVE MORE..In a couple of years we will make the trek to Alaska about 3500 miles each way. I can't wait.

AZstreamin
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Well we have 3 weeks planned next month...to... AZ and this isn't the first long trip or our last. Our plans include 3 month long summer vacation style trips with Alaska and Florida being destinations that we'd love to take our time coming and going. Since we are retiring in AZ getting away for the hot summer months with our school age child sounds fantastic. Even though I miss the heat. But what we love best is knowing at a moments notice we spend the weekend up at the coast, or in Sedona or Colorado. My Mom coming up from AZ can easily fit in our large trailer and go with us anywhere. Our trailer before the remodel got used at least monthly not including our "long" trips. So besides long trips think of where you can go for any weekend to enjoy your AS.
Steve's Wife
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our Classic is 31' long and we never have had any misgivings regarding going up in size with our trailers. We chose these lengths because of comfort and features. As a matter of fact the longer the outing, the more we appreciate the length. Yes, we have had up upscale our tow vehicles as the trailers got longer and heavier, but those bigger tow vehicles have given us the opportunity to carry additional items with us, that have added to the enjoyment of our trips.

In many cases if you talk to a dealer, you will find that in most cases the smaller units are traded in for larger ones.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
All Over....All year!!!

I use my trailer at least six times a year, sometimes more. I go to the coast frequently in the winter (Presidents day week end), the week after easter, takin' a week in june to Pismo, a week in july to central Nevada to hang with my sister, a couple weeks in august to Montana, halloween week end at Olema, Thanksgiving at Yosemite and whatever might come along!

Mike
Old 05-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have used the 31 for trips to Florida for the winter. two to four week travels to the west and east coast. Use the 26 for weekend rallies and shorter state park trips within 600 miles but have taken it for longer trips to Vintage rallies ocassionally.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ours is a 30' and we use it each summer for at least one long trip-usually out West, but we have dreams of getting to the two coasts in future time. The 30' is great for longer trips-spacious and room to carry what we use. We still want a small one so we can get into those Forest Service camp sites that we are sized out of right now. What we REALLY need is an adjustable AS-one we can compress or extend as needed! Okay, Jackson Center, now get to work on that one, please ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We travel all over the East coast in our 19' trailer for short and long trips. We have taken the Bambi thousands of miles and have never longed (pun intended) for a longer trailer. With two adults and a Golden Retriever it is quite cozy but we wouldn't trade it in for anything else at this point.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
We have a 19' International and it has been plenty for us. And we don't have a pooch. We are planning a 7-10 day trip from Chicago to Porcupine Mountain State Park in the UP sometime when my wife gets summer break from teaching.

Jonathan
Old 05-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
What we REALLY need is an adjustable AS-one we can compress or extend as needed! Okay, Jackson Center, now get to work on that one, please ~G
LoL....yeap they can make them extend out.why can't they make one extend length wise?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I understand our trailer is 31' but I never measured it.

In several weeks, my wife and I will be heading to Montana for our annual 3 month trek west. Last summer we made it as far as the interior of British Columbia from our home in Pennsylvania.

Things like time, weight, distance, and length are just irrelevant numbers, IMO. What really matters is whether you're having fun.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
long trailers

We had a 38' SOB 5th wheel and we went from Texas to Pacific ocean., Texas to Glacier NP in Montana, Texas to Daytona Beach FL. and lots of short 150 to 200 mi trips to Texas points of intrest. We upgraded to our 30' AS MH and we have been to AR. and several short trips. We want to go to Montana and Wisc this year if health and finances will allow. Your traveling style doesn't have to be limited by the length of your trailer. The desire to go and the time and money are the determining factors for us. We never felt limited due to the size of our trailer.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Ours is a 30' classic. We purchased it new in 2001 and have over 30,000 miles towing. We have done this on the weekends and during summer vacations because we still work. We have been to all the 48 states except Michigan, Alabama, Rhode Island, and Louisiana. We plan to get Rhode Island in this fall with a NEU outing. We purchased the 30' because it fits our family best. This summer we are taking a trip into the Maritime Provinces of Canada.

Mark
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
25' and it's pretty perfect for us

25' - rear bedroom, side bath, front lounge. Pretty much perfect for the two of us. We travel up and down the east coast, longest time out with the camper was 3 1/2 weeks (we are still working). We travel with our beloved cat Buddy, who is nearly as large as Yuki's Golden (not really, well - maybe).

Some white box owners ask us how we live without slides. I wonder why slides are so important. They ask "what about storage" and I wonder why they need to carry so much stuff. Airstreams provide us with a different style of travel, one that I really appreciate and enjoy.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Yes, we have a 34' motorhome and have put 40,000 miles on it in four years. Two big trips a year (one to New Hampshire and one to Florida). I also use mine for business travel from time to time.

I must admit, however that more and more of our "camping trips" are local (within Kentucky). Those darn gas prices.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote