Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The most I've done in a day was 550 miles. I don't recommend doing that; it was a special situation of us trying to deal with some weather (by driving toward it, apparently...it made sense at the time). We usually plan 300 miles/day, but adjust as necessary.

It helps if you have two drivers. Even if the second driver is only comfortable doing a few hours of interstate driving, that's still a lot of time you can be relaxing in the passenger seat. That 550 mile day, due to poor planning, only involved my wife driving for two or three hours in the middle; I did all the rest. I would've been much less tired at the end if we'd split it more evenly.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
With kids I would seek and spend time at great destinations, less travel more play. And make a beeline for the first one in the West and then slow way down. Set destination goals and involve the kids so everyone has things to look forward to. And remain flexible, if they really like it, stay awhile and enjoy.

You don't say how old your child is, but have to take that into consideration.

You don't want a wee one strapped into and confined in a car seat for extended periods, days on end, IMO.

Not good for them, in many ways..

Have a great trip!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Google maps is a great trip planning tool. You can create a custom map where you can save different places that interest you, mark places you might want to use as hubs, and then you can plot a route between places to see how much road time you're looking at.

If you'll be on the road for an extended period, be sure to budget in time for ordinary activities like shopping and laundry.

Take a few shorter trips and test different travel times and stay times - for instance, a few days where you spend each night in a different place, or stay a few days at a single destination that is at the edge of your estimated drive limit.

How did the kids do with packing and stowing and adjusting to a new spot every day? What problems arise on the longer haul drive? Is the longer drive more comfortable than you expected, or less? Do you get twitchy to be moving along after a couple of days in the same place? Learn your family's travel style before you plan a long trip.

While you are researching and marking spots on your google trip map, keep an eye out for reservation accessibility. If you really want to stay in a certain place, it's important to know how far in advance you have to lock it in. Yosemite National Park, for instance, opens a month's worth of reservations on a certain day each month (5-6 months in advance of your first day) and spots in Yosemite Valley usually fill within half an hour. It also can help to look at which site your equipment will fit in. Older western campgrounds were designed for tents. At 25', we're limited in the Yosemite spots that we can squeeze into.

That sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a blast and tell us all about it.
Our travel and renovation blog: http://tinpickle.blogspot.com/
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Originally Posted by OregonVista View Post
You have to determine what is good for your situation. All we can do is give you our experiences;

We (2 of us) traveled back to the East Coast last summer, 10,000 miles and 75 days out. Our travel days were between 225 and 250 miles, with some lower and some higher. We generally don't like to travel more than 6 hours in a day, and aim for 5. For planning purposes, such as letting friends know about when we will be in a particular area, we found that over time our speed over a day averaged 50mph. That includes stops for fuel, food and rest stops. So using assorted planning tools such as Google Maps and Apple's Maps program on our iPad we could be in Boston and pretty accurately tell our friends in Morehead City, NC when we would be there.

250 miles a day will eat up 1000 miles in 4 days, and not leave you dead tired. After 3 or 4 days travel we liked to spend an extra day or two to rest up and see the local sights.
We're just about the same as our fellow Oregonians - 200-250 miles a day for us. I do all of the driving and I find I start flagging a bit at 250 miles. Of course I'm fairly new to this. I'm perhaps a little more tense than more experienced travelers might be. I'm thinking my range might increase as I become more confident.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Distance each day depends a lot on who travels with you. If you have kids, harmony will not be great with extended trips, even with a day or so break in between. The novelty of watching for "Punch Bugs" wears off rather quickly.

If you don't have a quality motorhome your number of stops, and length of time lost at each stop, will be greater on those long trips.

If you do not/have not worked on the road then the distance challenge will be greater than for those of us who have years of 'over the road' experience.

I do all the driving and depending on destination, traffic and conditions, a 500+ mile day is not a big deal with a quality motorhome. This requires a good navigator who can take care of all the other duties so that the driver can concentrate on the road. This still allows for the short enroute stops every hour for equipment checks, snacks etc and a power nap mid day.

If you feel tired, stop and rest. Everyone will have different abilities but with more bodies involved the task will be more complicated.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've always been a destination type of traveler rather than stopping at sites along the way. We have mostly been traveling to our destination in 300-350 mile days. So in some circumstances it may take us as long as 3 days to get to our destination. I guess part of this attitude was when I was working I had limited time. So for us planning the trip around the destination meant more time with the trailer anchored at a campground while we explored the area around the destination. Maybe that attitude may change now that I'm retired but for now I haven't broken that habit.

The 300-350 miles is based on driving about 60 mph with stops for gas, food, and restroom. Once you average the time spent stopped against the time driving 300-350 miles takes the better part of the day. Especially if you don't pull out until 9-10am or so. I hate rushing out at the crack of dawn.

Being located in the midwest we have a lot of areas to travel to where 3 days can get us pretty far. It's not out of the question for us to go as far north as Mackinaw City Michigan, Destin or Orlando Fla., Myrtle Beach SC, Gatlinburg Tn, Door County Wi., Estes Park Co, just to name a few locales.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #21
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful information. Sounds like the best bet is to get the trailer in time for a few local trips before the first big one. That will help shape some of the plans.

At least now I know it is feasible to get out west and will keep focusing on the 27' range of trailer.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Welcome to Airstreaming! You will never regret being an Airstreamer.

Considering that you will visit "local" areas (within a day to two's travel?) on shorter weekend trips during the year, on this long trip you might drive long distances for the first 2-3 days to get out of that local range quickly and while your kids are still relatively patient, then drive shorter days as the scenery becomes different and the kids/dog must have less time strapped into seats.

In terms of the size trailer you buy, if you will be working some of the time in the trailer, you may want to consider a little more length for a modicum of "private space" for your concentration in the presence of playing kids and romping dog, especially on days that are either rainy or too hot and humid for outside play. A trailer that is too long to fit comfortably in state/national parks is not a handicap because there are always RV parks nearby. We have found that not only are there always RV parks available, RV parks also always have power hookups which state/national parks often do not. You will probably want a power hookup for working. Be sure to bring a hotspot, though, because wi-fi availability in RV parks is sometimes more imagined than real, maybe only within a very short distance of the office.

We tow a 34' Ltd or a 23' Safari, and have found no real difference in camping-spot availability whether in state/natl parks or commercial RV parks. But the 34' was a real boon when we were living in it for 9 mos. Not that you need a biggie like that, but just consider whether you are likely to have perfect weather for the whole summer, and how likely your kids are to be outside whenever you need to work.

Richard and Vivian
Caliban The Wonder Dog: gone but not forgotten
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote