Old 11-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
We generally would do no more than 350/day and more often than not, 250-300. Main thing was to be able to get to the campsite and get everything set up before dark and also be able to look around, enjoy the campground. We did that both with the Airstream and the Foretravel MoHo. This meant we were on the road usually no more than 5-5 ½ hrs. day.

Heck, there were times we never made it more than 100-150 miles before we found things that looked interesting, so we’d lay back for a day or two.

I never liked getting up at the crack of dawn to head out anyway...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It depends on the situation.
I would love to do 300-350 miles, but sometimes it is stretched much further due to what we need to do, where we need to be, etc.
450 miles is normal for us. We have been much further out of necessity.
Sometimes it might be 100-150 miles from one campground to the next.
Nothing set in stone/concrete.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSCS View Post
Starting to plan a 1300 mile trip one way and am wondering how many days it usually takes to enjoy that short a trip? Heading to Phoenix from the Oregon coast and probably going down through Nevada. Any suggestions to campgrounds along the way? I am guessing we would only make 200-250 miles a day when we have to strike camp, stop for lunch and arrive at a campsite around 4PM before it gets dark to set up camp. Looking at both RV sites and state park campgrounds along the way. This will be our 8th outing, but by far the longest. Appreciate your thoughts.

Don, ODSCS
Sounds like you and I travel about the same. I am retired, so what's the rush! I seldom leave RV park prior to 10 AM. I limit myelf to 6 hours of driving a day. That equates to about 250-300 miles a day. That includes a stop along the way for lunch. Also a stop to stretch your legs and use the restroom if necessary. 250 miles is preferred mileage though. I like to arrive at my destination by 4:00 PM or at least before night.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Longest I have driven was straight from Philadelphia, PA to Birmingham AL in a big Uhaul truck....60-65mph mostly...I think it took us some bit over 14 hours (no kids then)...I was just out of college...I drove solo...wife was not comfortable driving it...did "fine", but now the limiting factor for me is kids, longest we have done so far is 420 miles in a day from Birmingham to Marion VA - took us about 8 hours total including a 40 min stop for supper and perhaps 30 min for a lunch stop, and a fuel stop or two...that was no fun in the last 1-1.5 hours...kids were just past the point of tolerance...

On the other hand, we have drove now 5-6 hours a number of times with no ill effects with kids, and that we like...this turns out to be in the 250-300 mile territory.

If I did not have kids though....I would run the risk of pushing myself too far....I find myself thinking of insane things like driving to the keys non-stop for say a 10 day trip and this would waste only 2 days...but then I slap myself and come back to reality...I could do it, but it would just be a bad idea...

We are considering in 6-7 years a cross country trip, but it appears my wife will only likely be able to get 3 weeks...so these questions of drive time have crossed my mind of late.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
Sounds like you and I travel about the same. I am retired, so what's the rush! I seldom leave RV park prior to 10 AM. I limit myelf to 6 hours of driving a day. That equates to about 250-300 miles a day. That includes a stop along the way for lunch. Also a stop to stretch your legs and use the restroom if necessary. 250 miles is preferred mileage though. I like to arrive at my destination by 4:00 PM or at least before night.
Oh....one of these days I'll travel like this...........

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Plan itinerary Pharm. We travelled distance only 1-2 days/time then spent time

Here's an idea. You want to go west. Stop at Amarillo for two days to see Palo Duro and Alibates. Then up to Bents fort for a day. Go fishing at lake. Then a long day en route

Time to read up on Ranald McKenzie plus Gwynne on Comanche. The Dust Bowl. Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSCS View Post
Starting to plan a 1300 mile trip one way and am wondering how many days it usually takes to enjoy that short a trip? Heading to Phoenix from the Oregon coast and probably going down through Nevada. Any suggestions to campgrounds along the way? I am guessing we would only make 200-250 miles a day when we have to strike camp, stop for lunch and arrive at a campsite around 4PM before it gets dark to set up camp. Looking at both RV sites and state park campgrounds along the way. This will be our 8th outing, but by far the longest. Appreciate your thoughts.

Don, ODSCS
What time of year are you making this trip?

We're doing basically the same trip (Portland to Palm Springs) in February. In winter, I will never plan to go east across any mountain passes. I would head down the coast to the Bay Area, then down the central valley or the coast, depending on weather in the valley, which can be foggy in winter.

We seem to average about 300 miles a day, for all the reasons already mentioned. Goin' slow (see avatar), never faster than 60, on the road around 10, parked by 4. We'll take at least 4 days to do our trip. Our first night out of Portland is usually Brookings, at Harris Beach SP. No rez necessary there in February! We go I-5 south, past Cottage Grove to Drain (How would you like to grow up in a town named Drain?), and down the Umpqua to Reedsport. It's the lowest pass through the Coast Range, and is the last one to get icy during nasty weather. Over on the coast, it may be wet, but it's never cold.

We end up on a pretty rigid schedule when we go south for the winter, since we need to make reservations up to a year ahead to get the campgrounds we want. This year we'll be "down there" from early Feb. to late April, and all reservations are already made, with one place left that only takes reservations three months in advance. Even when we're in transit with approximate stops, we try to stay a day ahead with reservations so we don't have to sweat looking for something as the sun's going down.

As more of us baby boomers retire and hit the road, advance reservations are going to get more and more essential where it's warm in the winter...
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Battle of Palo Duro Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What an amazing time in US history to say the least...thanks for that tip, perhaps Ill speak with you later in greater detail about a first TX route.....I honestly have no idea at this point....its in the most contemplative stages at this point.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many miles do you usually travel between campgrounds in a day?

Any time. After Bents Fort its a short drive over La Veta to Monte Vista area of the Rockies. Can't go wrong in any direction from there

And the Haley biography of Charles Goodnight, too

Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Regardless of mikes, I try to drive during daylight hours. I hate driving after dark. If I must travel in the dark, I would rather it be morning than night.
I remember my grandmother always saying this, and I didn't get it when I was younger. I understand it now.
My grandmother never liked the air vents blowing on her, either. I understand that now, also.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our longest "normal" trip leg is from the east edge of Phoenix to Santa Fe in a day. It is about 450 miles. It is about 420 miles to Long Beach in a day to see my wife's daughters. We have driven these two routes for years in a single day both with and without a trailer.

I drove solo the roughly 980 miles from Gold Canyon to the Dallas area for our two "trailer modification" sessions and did that in two days. That is much easier alone than with another person whose bladder range may differ from mine...

I drive the posted speed limits only up to 65 mph (depending on road conditions). At speeds of 63 to 65 the Cummins is very happy in 6th gear. Mountain decent speeds follow the yellow caution signs or slower using the engine exhaust brake.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
We went to FL last summer (from WV). Did it in two days. First day was about 700 miles. Second day was about 300. Second day was WAY more fun. After 450 or so, it gets to be very fatiguing. At least to me. But, I like to knock over half out on the first day if I can.

When my grandpa was still camping (he bought a '77 Excella 500 in about '80....was my first exposure to silver trailers!) he would drive from Cape Canaveral to home nonstop. It was like 18 hours with the rig. Too much for me in a day....unless it were some reality show and I had $1M waiting at the end of the day!

If I were retired, I'd certainly take my time. 300 is more than enough. 200 sounds better
Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1949 22' Liner
1959 18' Traveler
Seal Rock , Oregon
Since sitting is now considered the new smoking.... newsletters that I read suggest getting off your duff every 40 minutes or so and getting the blood moving before another bout of sitting.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many miles do you usually travel between campgrounds in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealrocker View Post
Since sitting is now considered the new smoking.... newsletters that I read suggest getting off your duff every 40 minutes or so and getting the blood moving before another bout of sitting.

Two hours or 100-miles works. And I need to dump the ashtray as well.