Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
How many hours a day on the road

I was wondering ...If you are going on a trip.....and if time were not an issue, how many hours a day would you be on the road?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How many hours a day on the road

My ideal is about three hours driving -- enough to add a little distance with time to settle in at a nice campground and find an interesting restaurant. This summer, I have planned my itinerary aroud five hours of travel per travel day.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Start Early, Stop Early

I prefer to keep the days tow to between six and seven hours, or about 350 miles.

That usually allows for one fill-up and a brief lunch stop.

Start early, stop early.

SRW
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
when 'wandering around', 250 miles a day is a good average.
If pushing to a destination where we will be setting up camp, we try not to go over 350 miles in order to allow time to set up/settle down, although 400 miles is not outside of our range.

Sometimes, on the last leg home where all we have to do is park in the driveway and go inside the house, we've pushed 450-500 miles.

Last year we were in Colorado when Hurricane Ike hit - it went right over our house.
On our last leg home, we drove 14 hours.

When we got in, the tree debris on our street had been cleared to a path barely wide enough to get through, and I had to chainsaw two trees out of my driveway just to park. (No damage to the house at all)
Old 05-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No more than 4-5, ideally. For we back-roaders, that may be less than 200 miles.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We like to roll out early and grab a good breakfast on the road. We definately go by the clock rather than the miles traveled. We make plenty of stops, and try to be off the road to set camp by 3:00 PM. This usually equates to an 8 hour day, with about 5 to 6 hours of seat time. Any more and I end up

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
It's the destination rather than the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
I was wondering ...If you are going on a trip.....and if time were not an issue, how many hours a day would you be on the road?
For me, the destinations and interesting locations along the way are more important than the time spent on the road. Sometimes the destinations are only 200 miles apart, sometimes they are 400. When time is not the issue, stop whenever you like. Be happy, enjoy the journey, enjoy the sights along the way many of which you won't know about beforehand.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
If time to destination isn't a factor, I prefer no more than 350 miles on interstate or 200 on secondary and back roads. So no more than 4-5 hours windshield time. One day when I don't have to cram Airstreaming in between work hours, I hope I have the luxury of doing only a couple of hours of drive time if I so desire. Stop and smell the roses . . . more often.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have done as many as 8 hours on the road, but we certainly don't like to, and we really feel it by the time we are there. Typically we spend up to 4 hours driving and about 200-250 miles...but some of our favorite "local" destinations are only 15 to 125 miles away and up to a few hours away. We find it a much better trip if, at the end of the travel day, we still have time and energy left to enjoy our stops. So much depends on how much time you have to get from point A to point B and whether you have the luxury of taking your time getting there.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
All very good suggestions and all seem to agree on the miles and or time.

Thank you so much.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
with the hensley and a diesel,not much of a problem towing 12 hrs.of course this is on the open road,and i dont have the luxury of unlimited amounts of time.some day i will probably wander around at 300 mile intervals,which is about 5 hrs of towing,once i am retired.my limit when i had an sob,and the white knuckle ride was about 250 miles before i sweat through my clothes.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It's definately a personal decision type of thing. We met a couple last year on our trip close to Glacier Nat Park, and they said they traveled by the rule of two's. They went on to explain they only drove till 2 PM, only drove two hundred miles in a day, and only traveled two days in a row without taking a break.

On our trip last year to Alaska, we were gone 30 days, and drove a little over 11,000 miles, and did not drive hardley at all on 7 days. You can do the math.

We would not have been good caravan buddies. It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to go, and how much time you have to do it in.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
For me, the destinations and interesting locations along the way are more important than the time spent on the road. Sometimes the destinations are only 200 miles apart, sometimes they are 400. When time is not the issue, stop whenever you like. Be happy, enjoy the journey, enjoy the sights along the way many of which you won't know about beforehand.
Same with us.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Travelling time for us depends on time and destination... we have travelled only 9 miles and stopped because we found a great campground. We have travelled as much as 600 miles in a day to keep ahead of the weather and get to our destination because of snow....
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vero Beach , Florida
In my younger days, BAS, (Before Airstream), I would try to set new land speed records every time I hit the road. I remember driving 20 hours with just fuel and potty breaks. That was when I was on vacation. Now, I'm older and a little bit wiser, but I will still do 10-12 hours if I need to get somewhere. One day time will be on my side.
AlumaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Even though it has been 10 years since I took early retirement, I still can't get myself to take it easy - I know I should!

Usually when we are on a long trip, we drive at least 10-12 hrs a day to reach our destination, on the return trip, I generally take it a bit easier but not much.

Since we live up in the land of ice and snow (near Toronto), I have typically tried to get to a Flying J at West Memphis on day one of our journey. That is just about 1000 miles from our home, and certainly it is the longest travel day of our trip. We usually make it, but not always, depending on weather or any unanticipated issues.

I generally have a rough itinerary prepared for our trips, and did so last year when on a 7 week trip to California.

This time, once we got down in that area, I had planned a few travel days that only entailed maybe 4-5 hours driving, and I actually stuck to that.

I must admit it was much more pleasant to be all set up at our next location and enjoying a gin & tonic by mid afternoon! Maybe I'm starting to learn!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Goodness sakes, what are you people, a bunch of long-haul truckers We regularly drive to Ashland, OR about 6 hrs and 350 miles away, and even with rest stops and switching drivers, that's as much as I care to do in a day. I think we spent 11 hrs on the road once, but we were rushing to get somewhere and couldn't find a campsite by the time we got in the area. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. I'd much rather enjoy a leisurely 3-4 hr drive at most, with breaks, and be parked and relaxed by afternoon - especially if time isn't a factor. The drive to Trout Lake is about two hours on a winding road along the river, and that's perfect to me!

If we go too far, too fast, all I can think about is all the cool stuff we're missing as we drive by!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
If we go too far, too fast, all I can think about is all the cool stuff we're missing as we drive by!
Right! Like all the neat old towns with old buildings and houses, pretty streams/lakes/rivers, scenic vistas, local history museums, fresh produce markets, etc., etc., etc.! Really great travel for us is all about the slow meandering and wandering of backroads and byways.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
Emmett & Roxie

2008 28' Safari SE
Friendswood , Texas
Since we live in Houston and our favorite campgrounds are in Colorado, our standard practice is to make our first overnight stop in Amarillo. Texas is a big state -- that is 600 miles and about 10 hours driving time not including gas, food, and rest stops. The first day can be long; on later days we take it easy.
Emmett&Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Goodness sakes, what are you people, a bunch of long-haul truckers
Too funny! I'm glad I wasn't sipping a soda when I read this or I'd be wiping down my computer screen.

I'll let you know how long we like to drive once we finally find our Airstream.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote