Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
In my younger days, BAS, (Before Airstream), I would try to set new land speed records every time I hit the road. I remember driving 20 hours with just fuel and potty breaks. That was when I was on vacation. Now, I'm older and a little bit wiser, but I will still do 10-12 hours if I need to get somewhere. One day time will be on my side.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Even though it has been 10 years since I took early retirement, I still can't get myself to take it easy - I know I should!

Usually when we are on a long trip, we drive at least 10-12 hrs a day to reach our destination, on the return trip, I generally take it a bit easier but not much.

Since we live up in the land of ice and snow (near Toronto), I have typically tried to get to a Flying J at West Memphis on day one of our journey. That is just about 1000 miles from our home, and certainly it is the longest travel day of our trip. We usually make it, but not always, depending on weather or any unanticipated issues.

I generally have a rough itinerary prepared for our trips, and did so last year when on a 7 week trip to California.

This time, once we got down in that area, I had planned a few travel days that only entailed maybe 4-5 hours driving, and I actually stuck to that.

I must admit it was much more pleasant to be all set up at our next location and enjoying a gin & tonic by mid afternoon! Maybe I'm starting to learn!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Goodness sakes, what are you people, a bunch of long-haul truckers We regularly drive to Ashland, OR about 6 hrs and 350 miles away, and even with rest stops and switching drivers, that's as much as I care to do in a day. I think we spent 11 hrs on the road once, but we were rushing to get somewhere and couldn't find a campsite by the time we got in the area. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. I'd much rather enjoy a leisurely 3-4 hr drive at most, with breaks, and be parked and relaxed by afternoon - especially if time isn't a factor. The drive to Trout Lake is about two hours on a winding road along the river, and that's perfect to me!

If we go too far, too fast, all I can think about is all the cool stuff we're missing as we drive by!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
If we go too far, too fast, all I can think about is all the cool stuff we're missing as we drive by!
Right! Like all the neat old towns with old buildings and houses, pretty streams/lakes/rivers, scenic vistas, local history museums, fresh produce markets, etc., etc., etc.! Really great travel for us is all about the slow meandering and wandering of backroads and byways.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
Emmett & Roxie

2008 28' Safari SE
Friendswood , Texas
Since we live in Houston and our favorite campgrounds are in Colorado, our standard practice is to make our first overnight stop in Amarillo. Texas is a big state -- that is 600 miles and about 10 hours driving time not including gas, food, and rest stops. The first day can be long; on later days we take it easy.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Goodness sakes, what are you people, a bunch of long-haul truckers
Too funny! I'm glad I wasn't sipping a soda when I read this or I'd be wiping down my computer screen.

I'll let you know how long we like to drive once we finally find our Airstream.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think there are two different types people who Airstream...those who are retired/full timers (really about the same as far a schedule is concerned), and those who are still working that like to travel/camp on their vacations and weekends.

The two different groups will have totally different philosophies on how long to drive, and how many miles to cover in a day.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Usually when we travel far distances for a rally, we are usually on a time crunch. I have towed up to 10 hours to get to a destination in a single shot rather than lose time at the rally.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Really good point Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I think there are two different types people who Airstream...those who are retired/full timers (really about the same as far a schedule is concerned), and those who are still working that like to travel/camp on their vacations and weekends.

The two different groups will have totally different philosophies on how long to drive, and how many miles to cover in a day.
But I think there are more than just two types. I haven't done much exploring or rambling around. I have always had a destination that I was
anxious to get to. Most of my destinations are 2 to 6 hours away. However, one 5 hour trip took me 11 hours because of weather and highway accidents. Whenever possible I leave two days ahead of time.
Set up at my leisure, relax, and greet people arriving. Ya know what.
I'm gonna leave now. I'm out. I'm gone. long gone.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
At the risk of being banned from this forum I am one of those nuts who will travel 10-12 hours a day for 3 consecutive days to get from NJ to Colorado. On the way home we will travel the 500 mile day but with 1-day breaks inbetween. 32 day trip and I want to spend as much of it as possible out West. Wife helps with drive while I nap.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Time is always an issue. We have been retired for 9 years, but we are very busy with meetings, taking care of our property (37 acres) and house, maintaining the trailer and motor vehicles, reading, seeing friends and in-laws, entertaining guests, etc. So although we take trips of up to 6 weeks (not recently) and many 2, 3 and 4 week trips, we sometimes need to get down the road. We like to see new places and visit far away places. Last year we were to the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, Atlantic the year before, both and the Arctic Ocean the year before.

Sometimes you just got to drive and drive so you can slow down and enjoy the destination. Our last trip had a couple of 500+ mile days on the interstate. But if we weren't towing those would have been 750 and 600 mile days—we've done I-70 enough times to know that. We are expanding the miles/day towing as we get used to this. We now have towed the Safari 14,000+ miles. We are slowed on the interstate by staying at 65 (where we can; some states have 60 or 55 limits, so then we stay close to 65, but not quite at it), but we average around 55 mph over the day). We would be going faster without a trailer. On 2 laners, we find it hard to average (with gas, lunch stops included) much more than 45-50 mph. It's more tiring to tow—there's more to think about and a higher state of awareness. All this together makes for fewer miles per day, but we're still working on this. Long haul truckers as we are in our hearts, I guess we just can't slow down.

But there are light days when we don't drive so much or we stay somewhere for 2 or 3 nights. Sometimes on a long haul to get to a faraway destination, we put in a two night stay somewhere in the middle to rest a little, but the rest is going to a museum or two. Just a rest from driving.

We both like to drive, but as we age, there's less stamina. No more 1,000 mile days. That we can alternate driving helps a lot, but some days one of us may drive 80% or 100% of the time so the other gets more of a rest. When Barb drives I can doze off from 5 to 20 minutes and be refreshed and drive a bunch more and then stay up to midnight and get up at 6.

Everybody is different and we drive according to our personalities.

Gene
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
YES...GIN AND TONIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Even though it has been 10 years since I took early retirement, I still can't get myself to take it easy - I know I should!

Usually when we are on a long trip, we drive at least 10-12 hrs a day to reach our destination, on the return trip, I generally take it a bit easier but not much.

Since we live up in the land of ice and snow (near Toronto), I have typically tried to get to a Flying J at West Memphis on day one of our journey. That is just about 1000 miles from our home, and certainly it is the longest travel day of our trip. We usually make it, but not always, depending on weather or any unanticipated issues.

I generally have a rough itinerary prepared for our trips, and did so last year when on a 7 week trip to California.

This time, once we got down in that area, I had planned a few travel days that only entailed maybe 4-5 hours driving, and I actually stuck to that.

I must admit it was much more pleasant to be all set up at our next location and enjoying a gin & tonic by mid afternoon! Maybe I'm starting to learn!

Brian
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
However long you choose to drive, pull over and get some rest when you get tired. Learn some indicators about yourself so that you recognize when it's time to stop. When I was driving big trucks over the road, I found that the first indicator for me was that I was no longer staying centered in my lane (easy to judge in your mirrors) and that meant that it was time to pull over immediately and get some rest (even if just a few hours).

When I go, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather: not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
6 to 8 hours with lunch time and pit stops included in drive time.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote