Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep first time I was in Oregon I did the same thing. Kind of funny.
There was a blooper show that had a guy out front of an Oregon gas station telling people if they went around back and pumped there own gas they could save 10 cents a gal. most people did. the ones that didn't were asked why they didn't want to? Most admitted they didn't know how to pump their own gas. I laughed so hard. Sorry. I guess if you never leave the state you wouldn't know how...

Funny thing is, Gas is still pretty cheap there, even with guys pumping it. I wonder if they waste tax money paying those guys.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Never started filling in Oregon, but finished it when the attendant was too busy. I was willing to give the money to myself, but he took that fast.

Gene

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Use caution w/ dry ice...it can super freeze things and eventually crack the plastic lining of the fridge...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
As dry ice turns to a gas (carbon dioxide, no liquid state) the gas is a lot bigger—a lot of it means it can put a lot of pressure on a container. A fridge is a container. Kids learned that a long time ago and made dry ice bombs and people won't sell dry ice to kids.

By the way, from time to time the door locks and even the whole side piece on the doors come off. They go back pretty easily, but not the best system.

Gene
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Yep.....dri-ise not so kool, unless you need it for special effex.

The blu gel pax a much safer choice.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricktheSOB View Post
What happened in the old days when people smoked cigarettes and pipes? i doubt there were many explosions. I seriously doubt that under a propane fridge on the opposite side from the pump could pose much of an ignition risk. In an enclosed garage maybe....

As far as gas attendants go, travel in oregon where you cant pump your own gasoline. I showed up at a texaco at 3am, pulled up to a pump, and started filling and this guy in jeans and a T-shirt that I thought was a street inebriate sleeping on the sidewalk jumps up and tells me the state fire marshal says i cant pump gas. Only HE (the pump attendant) could fill my gasoline tank. I calmy disagreed, mostly because the vehicle I was in had some peculiar design flaws that would preclude an untrained person (the attendant) from touching it. The humorous part of this anecdote is that I was driving a Fire Engine--and was wearing nomex at the time. The design peculiarity was that there were three fill ports that looked like gasoline, but only two of them were for gasoline, the other was for foam concentrate...

As a life-long resident of Oregon I can tell you two things: 1) the gas station was correct in that you violated Oregon law by pumping your own gas and, 2) it's one of the most pointless, annoying, frustrating laws in the state. I've suffered through years of "gas station attendants" dribbling gas all over my paint, waiting at Costco for ages because there are only 5 attendants for something like 20 pumps. I've also, on more than one occasion asked to have premium (two of my cars want it for optimum performance) and the guy is either on auto-pilot or too stoned (I live in Eugene) to push the correct button. Most of the time I catch it, but a couple of times I didn't.

And don't even get me started on them wanting to "top off" so that they can get the price to a number with nothing after the decimal point... I PAID WITH A CREDIT CARD, I DON'T CARE.

Okay, that turned into a little bit of a rant. Sorry.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It looks like we've moved on from running the fridge on the road, but I'd like to say some things about it.

1. When I traveled with the B190, I would run it on 12 volt mode or, if the generator was running anyway (for A/C) 120 volt mode.

2. With the new camper, I set the fridge to its coldest setting the night before and then turn it off (along with the gas) for the trip. I haven't done this much, but on a 7 or 8 hour day when it was 80+ degrees, the fridge stayed cold just fine for me. Similarly, my parents do this all the time and never have a problem. This includes getting in it once or twice for drinks.

At home, we pack the fridge the day before so that it's not all warmed up from loading the fridge that morning. Obviously this is only possible if you have a spot where you can run that fridge for a longer period of time - until recently, we didn't, so we'd start the fridge the night before, then load it in the morning before the trip (the only level spot we had was on the street, and we couldn't leave there more than overnight), which I think killed a lot of the "head start" the fridge had. We'd use ice blocks to help keep it cold on the road.

3. The issue with running propane while on the road is if you get in an accident and damage a line, you can start spewing propane everywhere. The regulator is supposed to prevent this, but they're not immune from failure. See this post for an example. Low probability of occurrence, certainly, but a potentially high impact if the risk does occur.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
propane

i never turn my propane off either....funny though, in oregon one cannot pump their own gas, for safety reasons???, but they never ask if you propane is on
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
New Jersey is the "OTHER" state that does not permit self service gas stations. There are only 2, NJ and Oregon. They claim safety but can't remember when I last heard of one burning up or exploding due to self service. Go figure. But here in NJ are prices are lower than most and we don't have to get our hands into it. I run my AS with the fridge on propane. Just got back today from a 2500 mile trip up to Quebec and Prince Edward Is. and back to home. Fridge stays cold so long as we manage to get the door to catch and hold properly. Have to work on that one a bit.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Some Canadian provinces do not allow propane on while driving. Manitoba is one and I think Nova Scotia is the other.

Gene
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Leaving the Refer running while on the road is an idea i'd never thought of b4. Kinda nice to be able to have a drink that is already cold and drop some ice from the freezer in it. Got some funny looks at the rest stop when i popped out a couple of ice trays and made a cold Coke for me and the wife.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
When running the fridge on the road, is there any issue with it not working right because it's not level? I read in the manual for my Dometic that it needs to be level.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bale View Post
When running the fridge on the road, is there any issue with it not working right because it's not level? I read in the manual for my Dometic that it needs to be level.
The motion of the camper on the road is sufficient to keep it working.

Absorption fridges (which is what is installed in most campers) have no moving parts and rely on gravity to pull the refrigerant back to the bottom of the coils, where it is re-warmed. This is why the fridge must be level if the camper is sitting still. If the camper is moving, the motion will be enough.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bale View Post
No....it can sometimes even help by keeping a vapor lock from happening.

When the fridge is not level for a longer period the ammonia can pool at the low spot causing an air bubble which keeps the fluid from circulating thru the coils.

You do have to check frequently to make sure the flame hasn't gone out.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote