Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
How long will the fridge stay cold depends upon what is in the fridge and whether you open it or not. We did often run with the fridge off. One thing to do is to put blue ice in where the ice cubes should go and let freeze. That will keep the fridge cool for a while. I gave up and now mostly just run with the fridge on. We never had anything spoil, but darn, the beer just was not cold when we stopped in the late afternoons. Stick one of those remote thermometers in it and give it a go running with it off.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How many times have you heard of an explosion at a gas pump when the fridge was left on?

I'm sure somewhere there is a video of that, but how often has it happened?

The concentration of gas fumes around a gas pump and pretty far away—our fridge vent is opposite and behind the filler on the truck—would have to be very high for anything to happen. Gas dissipates rapidly in the air. And if fumes were that concentrated, there are plenty of other things that can set it off. Static electricity here is common and when the humidity is below 15%—frequently in the desert—I often get a shock from touching the truck, but no explosions.

Modern gas hoses have rubber seals on them, reducing fumes. Only a large lake of gasoline on the ground would be dangerous as it evaporated—and no one should drive into that. Diesel would be dangerous, not because it flames easily, it doesn't, but because it is so slick you may not be able to stop.

If you don't run the fridge (we always do), use blue ice or some frozen gel packs to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

Gene

Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I never thought about turning off the propane to fill up with gas. but then I got yelled at for talking on my cell phone while at the gas station. Mythbusters busted the cell phone deal. but then they weren't in the dry static air of colorado.. Good Idea to shut down while re-fueling though. I always run with it on as we live in the desert.

PS I like my beer chilled....
I think the best argument for not talking on the phone while filling up is the number of consumers who have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time... they should hang up the phone and concentrate on the complex task of filling up the tank!

Shutting off the propane flame before pulling up where there are likely gasoline vapors is a good idea in any event.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I think the best argument for not talking on the phone while filling up is the number of consumers who have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time... they should hang up the phone and concentrate on the complex task of filling up the tank!

Shutting off the propane flame before pulling up where there are likely gasoline vapors is a good idea in any event.

Funny thing was I wasn't even pumping the gas. The wife was and I was standing in front of the car on the passenger side, when the gas attendant started yelling at me.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Funny thing was I wasn't even pumping the gas. The wife was and I was standing in front of the car on the passenger side, when the gas attendant started yelling at me.
And the funniest part of it is, the cell phone transmits at intervals to check in with the nearest tower whether you're talking on it or not. So if you're concerned about it, you need to turn the cell phone off altogether when fueling.

I'm sure this idea got started in the old days when mobile VHF radios, as in police cars, construction trucks, etc. ran 50 or 100 watts of power and probably could create sparks various places around the vehicle under the right circumstances.

But mainly, some people just like to yell at people.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
I had to turn mine off once on the ferry from Port Harding to Prince Rupert, a 17 hour trip. What we did was freeze a liter bottle of water a few days before the trip and left it in the freeze.

Would a small block of wrapped dry ice in the fridge compartment be useful in this situation?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspelce View Post
We are new, and planning our first extended trip, which will include some 8 to 10 hour driving days. Our refrigerator does not run on 12 volt, only 110 or propane. If it's cold in the morning before we unplug and turn off the propane, how long will it maintain a temperature that is cold enough for the food not to spoil? Should we also travel with an ice chest to store the food during our longer driving days?

Thanks your sharing your experience with another Airstream newbie.
I recently went on a trip with the travel time of 2 hrs. The temp in the refrigerator was 36 degrees when I left home. Two hours later it was 44 degrees with the propane off. I did not open the refrigerator door. The outside temp was 95 degrees.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Fridges work their best when going down the road, all the air curculating around the coils really help it cool down fast.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
Would a small block of wrapped dry ice in the fridge compartment be useful in this situation?
In the 1980s we hauled Budweiser kegs out of Williamsburg, Va. up to New Hampshire in 45 foot un-insulated box trailers using about 12 blocks of dry ice. But mostly ran at night. {tap beer is un-pasteurized and has to be stored and shipped chilled.} Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How fast do they cool? We started our on electric yesterday and in 2 1/2 hours it was down to 42˚ in the fridge; 40˚ shortly after. It was in the 80's outside with the sun on the fridge side. I put 3 blue ice htings in the freezer and 2 in the fridge to speed up the process.

Gene
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In most cases the freezer part does alot of the work. Ours runs on propane. But once turned off it can return to being thawed in about two hours. So I like the idea of using dry ice as a filler while your moving around.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
How fast do they cool? We started our on electric yesterday and in 2 1/2 hours it was down to 42˚ in the fridge; 40˚ shortly after. It was in the 80's outside with the sun on the fridge side. I put 3 blue ice htings in the freezer and 2 in the fridge to speed up the process.

Gene

Gene,

Looks like yours is doing pretty good, 2 1/2hr 42d is not bad at all. Esp on AC. Thermo max?

Never paid too much how attention how fast because we usually switch on with lpg, max cold, at least 12 hr before packing.

I was curious about efficiency, lpg/ac.... with the thermo set midpoint, 12hrs after warm start-up, lpg had a 7degree advantage. 38/45 Ambient 84 at midday.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
In my thirty years of towing, I've always traveled with the fridge on with no problems. I've used diesel trucks for twenty of those years and that cuts the risk of mishap. My Limited has an automatic refrigerator shut off when the trailer is hooked to the tow vehicle and the ignition is turned off. I think it times out for ten minutes if I'm remembering correctly. I've never checked to see if it is operating as stated but I think it is still as it was new.

Gene
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
Those silly Gas Station Attendants.

What happened in the old days when people smoked cigarettes and pipes? i doubt there were many explosions. I seriously doubt that under a propane fridge on the opposite side from the pump could pose much of an ignition risk. In an enclosed garage maybe....

As far as gas attendants go, travel in oregon where you cant pump your own gasoline. I showed up at a texaco at 3am, pulled up to a pump, and started filling and this guy in jeans and a T-shirt that I thought was a street inebriate sleeping on the sidewalk jumps up and tells me the state fire marshal says i cant pump gas. Only HE (the pump attendant) could fill my gasoline tank. I calmy disagreed, mostly because the vehicle I was in had some peculiar design flaws that would preclude an untrained person (the attendant) from touching it. The humorous part of this anecdote is that I was driving a Fire Engine--and was wearing nomex at the time. The design peculiarity was that there were three fill ports that looked like gasoline, but only two of them were for gasoline, the other was for foam concentrate...