Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #15

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Is this true without exception, in all seasons? One of the things I like about my Ford is that when traveling alone I can leave the engine (and air conditioning) running, lock the doors with the keypad and go into a truck stop to the bathroom or to purchase something so the dog stays comfortable.
There is no seasonal adjustment for these laws in Arizona, Texas, or any other state I know of. Even in midwinter the interior of a car in the sun in Phoenix or Fort Worth can quickly reach deadly levels. If for any reason the engine of your car quits or the a/c fails, you could easily come back to find a dead or seriously heat injured pet. But any punishment the law might deal out would be next to nothing alongside living with the heat related death of the dog you left in the car while you ran into the store for "just a minute."

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I think I found the exact answer.

Arizona 13-2910 A. 7. seems to say: A person commits cruelty to animals if the person intentionally, knowingly or recklessly leaves an animal unattended and confined in a motor vehicle and physical injury to or death of the animal is likely to result.

It would then seem that leaving the dog for a brief period in a reliable truck with the engine and AC running (and locked to avoid running afoul of laws like one in Texas that makes it a violation to leave your keys in the car with the door unlocked) would be permissible.
Hope he doesn't drive it off.

Dog puts car into drive, injures central Pa. man | 6abc.com

Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
There is no seasonal adjustment for these laws in Arizona, Texas, or any other state I know of. Even in midwinter the interior of a car in the sun in Phoenix or Fort Worth can quickly reach deadly levels. If for any reason the engine of your car quits or the a/c fails, you could easily come back to find a dead or seriously heat injured pet. But any punishment the law might deal out would be next to nothing alongside living with the heat related death of the dog you left in the car while you ran into the store for "just a minute."
Yes well... if I could afford to hire a Jeeves to travel with me, or if all business allowed me to take the dog in, I could live without THAT risk. Then again there's the chance I'll have a wreck with her in the truck with me and perhaps she would have been safer at home... then again the house could burn down while I'm away and perhaps she would've been safer with me.

You can't eliminate risk, but you can minimize it without being sanctimonious.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is not an issue of how cool the a/c can get the trailer. We have 2 roof airs. The thing is if it is too hot to hang around outside we might as well stay home. If all we're gonna do is lay around in the trailer and watch movies because it is miserably hot outside we can do that at home. We usually park it from after Memorial Day until just before Labor Day. Maybe one day when we are retired we will go where it is cool in the summer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry for taking this thread further off topic. Moderators, feel free to move or delete this entry, if necessary:

I suspect that the actual conditions may determine what is done by bystanders and the police. I'm guessing that a vehicle parked with the motor and air conditioning running in front of a Circle-K, 7-11, Quick Stop or gas station would be less likely to have a window broken out than one that was in a shopping center or employer parking lot with the engine turned off.

The local news media usually reports on dead children left in baby carriers in the back seat, when someone forgot to drop them off at daycare or a babysitter, on the way to work; and a passerby found the body after 4-8 hours. Similar reports with pets.

Per a local TV station, when the daytime temperature is 110, the inside of a car parked in full sunlight will rise to 140 degrees in 10 minutes. I'm unsure how hot a car parked in 118 degree weather would be after 4-8 hours. However, several local people have proven it is hot enough to kill their children.

If it helps any, most were not prosecuted; because authorities felt that the families had suffered enough by losing a child. However, one person was arrested for leaving children in a vehicle; because it was parked in front of a bar where they were inside drinking. Fortunately, this was at night and the children were not injured.

==========

For reference, beef cooking temperatures appear below:

120 - 125 = Rare
130 - 135 = Medium-rare
140 - 145 = Medium
150 - 155 = Medium-well
160 and above = Well done
Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
I was hopeing to take off in Sept and visit Arizona and Utah.Due to schedule problems It looks like we may go most of July. In Georgia if it's 95 degrees we really feel it because of humidity. How difficult will it be out west with reports well in the hundreds. I have heard it is a different type of heat. Should we go?
We have gone out west in July, the key is Go Up! It was 105 near Denver and even with dual AC units, it stunk. A few hours NW between Cheyenne and Laramie at altitude we were able to dry camp very comfortably the very next day.

Our Southern humidity is a different experience, a squirt bottle in dry heat does wonders. Down here it simply spreads around the stinky sweat.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

August and part of September is monsoon time in Southern Arizona. Temps are not quite as hot but humidity increases. We find this less pleasant than June and July.
We have camped frequently in Tucson in June. Regular temperatures are in the mid 100s during the day but cool off in the evening. There is no daylight savings time so we are up early and walk around five a.m.
In the middle of the day, we do what the locals do, go to the mall, go out for lunch, go to Barnes and Noble. We don't hang out in the Airstream wondering if the a.c. will pull the temp down from 84 to 83. The a.c. is on, we want the interior as cool as possible when we return.
As soon as the sun goes down, it is great particularly if there is a breeze. Often we can sleep with the windows open and the a.c. off. One of the advantages of the limited insulation Airstream is that it rapidly cools or heats to the ambient outside air temp.
Would I choose Southern Arizona for a summer vacation, of course not, but if you have to be there for some reason it is tolerable.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We live in Tucson and do not camp in our area from mid-June through August usually. It's just too dang hot ... and we are basically desert rats and used to the heat. Even up in Northern Arizona it can get into the 90s during the days, even though the nights are usually cooler... The higher altitudes on the Mogollon Rim and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are your best bets, but even there, there is no guarantee that it will be cool and balmy. In the SW it's all about altitude...the higher you go, the better your chances for cooler weather. But let's face it...that is beginning to change. And then there are the chances of forest fires, etc...so you need to be vigilant on all fronts.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
TBRich --

I am curious how well you can get up the Catalina Highway with airstream in tow since they widened the roadway back in the 90s. I used to camp alot (and would often see boon dockers) up on Mt Bigalow; but this was before/during the expansion and trailers tended to be in the 16-20ft range -- but the boondock locations, if I recall right, looked like the could easily support another 10ft.

OP -- This is not my work; but I link it as it gives a simple reason (start at 14:14) to consider southern Arizona during the Monsoon during July-Septmber: The Arizona Monsoon in Timelapse (2012) on Vimeo

Ian
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Ian... RE Catalina Highway up to Mt Lemon. The road itself has been greatly improved...one should not have trouble towing up to around 25 feet probably, maybe even a bit more, assuming the tow vehicle is up to it. Rose Canyon Lake Campground is the best bet for campground camping with a trailer or RV...most of the campgrounds were originally designed for tents, truck camper shells and pop-ups and that has not changed. We have not been up Mt Lemon with the Airstream (19') but did go up with a 24' motor home. This was a couple years after the last big forest fire which devastated the mountain (it has been 10 years since now). At that time there was so much dust and ash that it wasn't the most pleasant camping experience. That has changed to some extent over time, no doubt, but we still haven't ventured up the hill since. It's coming back and it's very popular with the Tucson weekend warrior crowd, so it gets crowded early ... and there are no reservation options. Oddly there is no commercial RV park or campground on Mt Lemon. Hope this helps.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
TBRich --

If you want to hit Mt Lemmon, I used to work during the summers at the observatory at the top of the peak (during college.) At the Ski area (if it still exists,) the observatory maintains a road up to the peak and there was some good boondocking areas just before the observatory and radio tower gates. Mt Bigelow also had some great boondocking -- taking a fork to the right instead of going to the Bigelow 60" telescope domes...

Thanks for the feedback on the highway! I hope to be towing that way in the next few years to rediscover my late teens/early 20s.

Ian