Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I have changed a tire using lego ramps, with no tension on WD.Bob
There is no problem in raising the rear of the trailer on ramps enough to change a tire. The critical strain on the receiver occurs when the nose of the trailer has to be raised more than just taking the weight off the TV springs. That lifts the entire tow vehicle rear end which may be several times the tongue weight of the trailer and more weight than the receiver is rated for.

I'll sometimes leave it hitched if I only need to raise the ball an inch or two to get level.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My wife and I want to take our Airstream to Florida for a week this winter. We're looking at about 900 miles, figuring we'll split it over two days, but even that is a lot for me to deal with alone. I was pretty tired after a 370 mile day a couple weeks ago.

Fortunately, a fellow club member will give my wife lessons in towing the camper, so she can help at least with some of the interstate portions.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #45
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post

Fortunately, a fellow club member will give my wife lessons in towing the camper, so she can help at least with some of the interstate portions.
Skater,

Very good plan.

It's important to have a back-up, not just for travel support,
but it's critical in an emergency.

Stream Happy,

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Very good plan.

It's important to have a back-up, not just for travel support,
but it's critical in an emergency.
I'm not sure about that. I traveled for several years alone in my B190, and one only has to pop into the Solo Streamers forum to find plenty of others who do the same. What's their backup? I had none...I certainly wasn't going to let my cat drive!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We did pick up the AS on Wednesday. got an excellent brief from Lauren. I video most of it. I am sure I will need the video to assist as a we begin to use the AS. The ride back was great. We stayed between 55 and 62 on all major roads, there was little traffic so we made it bak to the Eastern Shore of MD with plenty of daylight. You hardly know it is back there. I now need to practice my parking. If anyone is looking for light entertainment come to my house sit in a lawn chair with your favorite drink and just watch.

On a more serious note I must now get ready for Irene.

We got a number of thumbs up on the way back.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Urn', glad to see you got home easily. You are only several miles from the ocean. Are you gonna to take the new FC west? Soon?

Having been through hurricanes many years ago, I don't take them as seriously as others do and I think the media hypes it to an extreme degree, but nevertheless, I'd be driving west with my baby if I lived on that peninsula.

Gene
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene

Hurricanes are nothing to sneeze at however I agree about the news. INMHO having it on 24/7 is not good. As you stated they tend to make it worse then it is. It is on every channel and one news reporter tries to out do the other.

It has got my wife very nervous and I am not sure why. Heck she was caught in a monsoon and a mud slide on the way to delivering our third child and she was totally unfazed by it. I wonder if it is because we are getting older. Anyway I took away the TV for 48 hours .

We did move the AS inland a few more miles however I want to stay near the house because we are on a canal and have a boat at the dock.

Our first solo is net week if there Parks are open

John
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #50
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Being retired with no real agenda this is an easy answer. My plans are to drive 150-250 miles per day (less if possible) and spend at least 2 nights at whatever park I end up in. If it is a nice park with sight seeing available I will spend more time parked.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Graysalor, we try to limit our tow time in the 250 mile range and if necessary willstay in the area several days for sight seeing. Our 2 cats don't care for more than 5 hours inthe tow vehicle.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
It all depends ...

... on the part of the country you are traveling in. In Texas, New Mexico, and the plains states, I aim for 300-325 miles. Off the interstates, especially, it is difficult to find places to stop much closer than that. Also, a lot of RV parks are now full of oilfield workers and wind turbine workers. We start early and aim to start looking for a place to stay early in those areas. Out comes the BBQ, the chairs, and the awnings.

Also, at many of the places we do stop enroute you can see everything worth seeing in a couple of hours. Places like Ozona, TX, for instance.

Trip planning in this part of the country is a series of cut and try to find stops far enough to get us somewhere and not too far or likely to be full of long-term workers. Our upcoming trip outbound is 287, 336, 290, and 53. The last two stops are the only stops with anything to see and are for multiple days.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Wind turbine workers? Never thought of that.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
Wind turbine workers? Never thought of that.
Just south of Sweetwater, Texas, there is an immense field of wind turbines. Last time through there, there were long lines of trucks waiting to unload blades and pylons. We go through there again tomorrow and hope to stay at a park about 10 miles from that field. Not too many options in Sweetwater, and only one if I don't want to unhitch.

It is an honor-box park, so we aim to get there as early in the afternoon as possible. That is our first 285-mile leg of the trip. We could have planned to stop at Abilene, but that would stretch an already long next day. OTOH, if the park at Sweetwater is full, our next option is 36 miles further on at Snyder, getting into the oil patch.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Eight seconds from throttle to bottle --8 hours from bottle to throttle. Oh, what was the question??
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I agree with John. It all depends. The furthest I have pulled is 500 miles. I wasn't planning on doing that distance however the roads were good and there was plenty of daylight.