Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, my birthday is the 4th—you could have stopped here for 5 minutes on the trip west.

Gene

Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, my birthday is the 4th—you could have stopped here for 5 minutes on the trip west.

Gene
Gene...you gott'a be kid'n.

How many more surprises are we gonn'a find.

I suppose your DW is a bald one legged redhead also to such as.

Boob..

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I've done 550-600 miles in a day a few times. With a 4yr old and a 7 yr old in the backseat, it makes for a full day's work.

-Chris
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Now not sure about the rules here, but "how far do you?" or "how far have you?" is the question. We tow as many as we have to to get to where we need to be. How far have I? How about 967 with out a trailer, to then hook on and tow back. I took a 20 minute nap right after I hooked on. Talk about grindin the rubber....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #33
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Fort Worth,TX To Orlando,Fl. Everytime I go to the Florida Keys,twice now towing my Airstream, 1000 miles in one day. Leave about 5:30am and stop at 11:00pm. Even after that, still have about still have about 7-8hours left. On the way back...I still like to get close to the 1,000 mile mark. Each his own. Stream safe.

I have insomnia, I feel like I can drive forever,,I just don't seem to get tired of driving.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene

We will be picking it up from Colonial which is just about 200 miles from home. I will post pictures within the next day or two. Needless to say we are excited about our new toy

John
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
After doing 1.5 Million Frequent flyer miles per year for too many years I look forward to 250 - 300 miles per day or less...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
We will be picking up our AS on Wed and because of commitments will need to bring it home the same day. It is approximately 200 miles and I was wondering if one leaves around 3PM is that a one day drive.

Thanks
We are new to rving and we picked up our AS at a dealer located 400 miles from home. We arrived at the dealership by 9:00 in the morning. We had a three hour orientation of the unit and departed just after 12:00. The entire trip was Interstate driving and we arrived home a little after 8:00. We did stop several times to stretch the legs and once to buy gas.
Our first trip was to the Florida panhandle again 400 miles oneway but we left home by 9:00 and stayed several days.
We are not retired so have to adjust to work schedules.
Remember to stop regulary and stretch and clear the cobwebs. It better to not push too hard.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
3 and 3 and ???

I go for the 300 miles and get there by 3 PM bit, that fits my travel planning exactly and pretty much describes most of my rally trips.

However most of my non-rally stops are one night stops on the way to somewhere or on the way home. Last trip out, we had 8 one night stops, one 2 night stop, two 3 night stops, and one 6 night stop (Alumapalooza).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Jersey Turnpike -- now that changes everything.

Just kidding (not really).

A question for those who leave the AS hooked up.....do you think that lifting the AS up could damage the TV suspension if it was done on a regular basis?

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
A question for those who leave the AS hooked up.....do you think that lifting the AS up could damage the TV suspension if it was done on a regular basis?
It is terribly hard on the hitch receiver to jack it up very far. If you watch, you will see the receiver start to bend after very much travel. This is a lot of leverage and receivers can and do sometimes fail.

If the truck brakes are locked and the trailer chocked, it is easy to unfasten the hitch and raise the trailer a few inches. In the morning, just drop it right back on the ball.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It is terribly hard on the hitch receiver to jack it up very far. If you watch, you will see the receiver start to bend after very much travel. This is a lot of leverage and receivers can and do sometimes fail.

If the truck brakes are locked and the trailer chocked, it is easy to unfasten the hitch and raise the trailer a few inches. In the morning, just drop it right back on the ball.
I did the "release and raise" thing rather than stay hitched up. Everything's under quite a lot of stress when the WD system is hooked up and I thought both TV and AS would like the relief. I'm no engineer, but it seemed the sensible thing to do, and hitching again in the morning was quite a bit easier.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I agree with the "release and raise" idea for a pretty quick early morning getaway ... except that if you need to lower the front of the A/S, that doesn't work out so well. I much prefer to get to where I'm going, level up, and just unhitch. Not always possible, of course.

And the 200-400 miles in a day towing is probably sensible. But I don't seem to do that very often. More like 400-500 on a typical day. Longest day ever was 890 towing, and I was very tired ... started out in a freak ice storm, SLOOOOWLY weaving through crashed cars. Bad idea.

But for a first tow, 200 miles starting at 3 sounds eminently do-able. First tow with a new baby is anxiety producing and exciting. We've all been there. It's fun and scary at the same time. So: do stop a few times and stretch and just "look things over" to make sure nothing has come loose, check lugnuts, tire pressures, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
Jersey Turnpike -- now that changes everything.

Just kidding (not really).

Lifting/jacking or leveling?, I never level/jack the trailer & leave it hitched. When on the road for a rest stop or one-night-stand, just find a level spot and release WD tension, drop the tongue jack a bit for support.

I have changed a tire using lego ramps, with no tension on WD.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote