Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #41
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
We are going to get from FL to Yellowstone in 3 days. I know its not a record but it sure will be a long drive 2400 Miles.....ouch
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
trip to remember

The last week of june, my wife and I went on vacation. We left Manchester, NH about 4 am friday morning and arived in Rapid City, SD 40 hours later on Saturday evening. That was about 2000 miles non stop.

We slip seated the drive, I was a little tired but after a glass of wine and a good nights sleep I was ready to vacation.

Would I do it again, absolutely.

Mark
Old 08-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hmmmm, I can tell senioritis has taken hold! Unlike when we were younger, now when we are facing a day of driving, we only start after a leisurely coffee, some breakfast, and a shared wide-awake check of hitch-up before hitting the road. On our recent trip, this usually turned out to be about 8:30 or 9 am. We like a good lunch stop to break up the day, and experience has taught us not to go past 5 or 6 pm to pull in for the night. I think 4:00 is even better. If you are counting on finding a site for the night without making reservations ahead, you probably need to start looking by 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon if you are traveling in a peak season like now and in a popular vacation area. Just our observations!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Coffee

Yes, as you get older nothing significant happens until after that first cup of coffee in the morning.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

When I drove a truck I could average 800 miles in a day, but since I am older and have more sense I like to take in the sights and stop here and there to take some pictures. So these days I might make 500 if I am really in a hurry. Because I like to enjoy everyplace I go now most of my trips only average out to 350 a day, and that's what I call comfortable.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Travel

We were on a 9 day trip to Yellowstone this spring and averaged 210 miles a day. This was gettong strted around 10:00 AM and parking about 3:00. This was a good pace for us.
Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
How far can you comfortably drive in a day? Our longest trips have been about 6 hours driving. We're planning this massive roadtrip in May which will take us to AZ, OK, IL, and finally home, and it's looking like it will take about three weeks to get it all in. I'm wondering how far we should be planning to get on the days when we're just driving? Any advice?

So far we are planning by starting out at the Vintage Trailer Rally in Calistoga, CA May 15, and just pushing on from there, spending a day or three in Pheonix, OKC, and St Louis, where we will be visiting friends and family. But we have to leave the pets home, so we're paying for petsitters everyday we're gone (which costs more than camping for the night). It's going to be a fun trip, I'm just trying to figure out approximately where we'll be so we can make reservations if we need to for where we might be over Memorial Day weekend. Rightnow it's looking like we might be heading back home and stopping by Mt Rushmore that weekend - probably not a great idea!
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:22 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I don't know if this fits in the comfort range

Let's see, St. Louis MO, Last thursday (a week ago) just past Texas in one day. 18 hours, pulling the Overlander.

Or 2450 miles in 4 days, St. Louis to Vegas, to CO springs. ... We caught much of the sights too... we figure there will be many more trips around these highways and bi ways, and we need to keep some of the sights 'unseen'. Now, yesterday, we ran Fort Collins CO to St. Louis, but there was nothing to stop and see... Kansas is much worse than everyone said it was. I didn't realize it would take eight hours to cross!!!! Was sad to be home, but happy to see MO again.

Ron and Tony
Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
old and in the way......

i must be getting old and cratchity, becuz now i can say youth is wasted on the young......i used to drive 16-18 hours straight, sleep(pass out) for 4 hrs, get up and do it again....cant do that no mo.... my old yellow lab was my co-pilot, and now i suspect may have also been my guardian angel....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #49

2004 25' Safari
Warrenton , Virginia
My 2 cents

I recently drove from San Diego, Ca to Gainseville, Va. with a 2004 Safari SS and Toyota Tundra tow vehicle. I drove about 8 hours a day it gave me about 500 miles give or take. That was plenty, I used KOA's all the way across, they are clean not expensive and right off the major highways. My Tundra never missed a beat; up mountains and down I towed with the O/D off and kept my cruise set to 65 the engine kept up about 2700 rpm the whole trip
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv

Kansas is much worse than everyone said it was. I didn't realize it would take eight hours to cross!!!! Was sad to be home, but happy to see MO again.

Ron and Tony
next time try nebraska.....hehehehe
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I am writing this from Destin, FL. We just got here late last night. 14 hrs / 780 miles. Our Durango worked flawlessly pulling our 28' CCD. I don't recommend driving straight through to anyone, it just is what I'm used to doing.

Destin is very nice, but HOT and HUMID. It's like St. Louis with palm trees and ocean and sand.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Janet and I did a most enjoyable trip this spring. With age I think I'm starting to learn. 1st. day about 6 hours 300 miles. Pull into a camp ground at about 3 P.M set up have dinner and enjoy. Up by 8:30 or so breakfast, hook up and move at about 10:30 or 11:00 A.M. Stop at about 3 P.M and do it all again. 250 to 300 miles a day if we wanted to.
I found it was a good way to travel.
No more cattle drives for me, Lazy travel or none at all.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

We do from 250 to 325 a day depending on weather. We also have the advantage of trading driving every two hours.

Works for us.....

dave
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I agree, with the trailer, going for pleasure, 300 or so per day is fine - just enough to get to some different scenery unless you're in Texas. Funny thing though, on the motorcycle, 600 seems about right because it is a lot more about covering big miles at um, higher speeds
Old 08-06-2004, 06:18 PM   #55
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Janet and I did a most enjoyable trip this spring. With age I think I'm starting to learn. 1st. day about 6 hours 300 miles. Pull into a camp ground at about 3 P.M set up have dinner and enjoy. Up by 8:30 or so breakfast, hook up and move at about 10:30 or 11:00 A.M. Stop at about 3 P.M and do it all again. 250 to 300 miles a day if we wanted to.
I found it was a good way to travel.
No more cattle drives for me, Lazy travel or none at all.
So true!
I'd say 350 mls. is still ok, depending on where you're at what you're towing with. It seems to be easier to tow with a well balanced rig, as opposed to fighting every wind gust. I can go easily 400mls in California, whereas on the way home from Colorado Springs earlier in the week, 300-325mls was about the limit. Weather and altitude make a huge difference ibnmy towing experiences.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Hello neighbor, that's a long way to pick up an airstream, but what a trip! One thing is missing: how many days?

Mary, down 66 a ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
I recently drove from San Diego, Ca to Gainseville, Va. with a 2004 Safari SS and Toyota Tundra tow vehicle. I drove about 8 hours a day it gave me about 500 miles give or take. That was plenty, I used KOA's all the way across, they are clean not expensive and right off the major highways. My Tundra never missed a beat; up mountains and down I towed with the O/D off and kept my cruise set to 65 the engine kept up about 2700 rpm the whole trip
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote